Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimDutch
I .

Calibers:
The clever little saying by Shoemaker about the 30-06 is nice but misleading. Hell, it is more than misleading, it is out and out wrong when speaking of a stopping rifle and that is what we're talking about here.

Jim, I stand by my statement on the 30-06 as I have used it on a number of occasions as a stopping rifle for big bears . But, as my comment points out, you do have to be able to shoot. this photo is the last big bear I used my 30-06 on
[Linked Image]

The rest of your comments were very good and if I know I will have to go in after a wounded bear I too like the 458.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

There was a case a few years back in BC where two elk hunter were killed by a grizzly bear. Not a shot was fired at the bear and the widows of the two men couldn't understand this since both men were experienced hunters in grizzly country and they couldn't imagine that they would have unloaded the guns while butchering an elk. An investigation by James Gary Shelton revealed that they hadn't unloaded the guns and it fact one was used, or least it was tried to be used. It was a Browning A-Bolt, very popular in BC and a push feed. It had a double feed jam. Even experienced hunters at times can get shaken up.

That really sucks....not surprising though.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
More horseshit in a single "first post" than I can recall...

Would you take advice from someone dumb enough to use pepper spray indoors?

CRF ultimatum... GMAFB...

The inadequacy of the 30-06...

Complete and total cluelessness about how the DLP thing works... except for those that shoot bears in the ass at 50 yards and claim they were mid-charge...

And there was lots more... But it was great laugh...
art

Yep. It was getting so deep that I had to climb up on my desk.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
OK, y'all. Pick the best line from the Dutch boy's offering!

Here's my fave:
I just would walk in with the .458 and some stern words and a "damn you bears" attitude and they would scatter.

LMAO!!
Without a doubt one of the best quotes I've read in some time. Hilarious! My new signature, I think. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458Win
I .

Calibers:
The clever little saying by Shoemaker about the 30-06 is nice but misleading. Hell, it is more than misleading, it is out and out wrong when speaking of a stopping rifle and that is what we're talking about here.

Jim, I stand by my statement on the 30-06 as I have used it on a number of occasions as a stopping rifle for big bears . But, as my comment points out, you do have to be able to shoot. this photo is the last big bear I used my 30-06 on
[Linked Image]

The rest of your comments were very good and if I know I will have to go in after a wounded bear I too like the 458.

First class post!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" Damn you Bears" sounds like a Chicago fan to me....

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bearstalker,

Where you been, lad? Not seen you post in a month of Sundays....

Are you baiting this year?

bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
That sounds like an internet story but to answer the question, a lot of gov't agencies used shotguns as they were under the impression that they are easier to use and point. Since they were seldom used it didn't matter if they worked on big bears. Now the USFWS is getting rid of the shotguns and getting 375 rifles which are, from my viewpoint, vastly superior weapons for stopping bears.

Phil,

Is a 375 H&H vastly superior to the 45-70? What load do you use in the 375 for stopping mad bears? What load do you use in 45-70 for stopping mad bears? Thanks.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for a guide who is more likely to have to stop a wounded bear from escaping - and then having to wrinkle it out of the pucker brush - the .375 is a lot better gun than the 45-70.
With the best bullets in either caliber there is probably not much difference at rock throwing distance.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
but why throw rocks even at rock-throwing distance, eh? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

M
M
I was about to make a comment about how the Mosin Nagant is a push feed which was used for years under the highest levels of stress, and never had any problems with double feeds...

Then I realized the Mosin magazine doesn't have feed lips, but rather uses a cartridge interrupter which doesn't release a second cartridge until the bolt is locked closed... thus preventing double feeds. Pretty slick for a 'crude' rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't claim to know much on this subject, but this thread has yet to fail to entertain.

The idea that some folks feel it necessary to argue with professionals, whose job btw is to understand bear behavior and how to kill them in all situations, because they went on a hunt one time. No doubt guided... It's akin to me arguing safety with an underwater welder because I went snorkelling in Hawaii once.

Deal with it.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.