-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps the easiest thing to do is send me that rifle and find a different one with a better trigger pull. I hear the gold triggered models trigger pull is WAY better anyways.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just because someone wrote it in a book doesn't mean you should run right out and try it.

Let him go LBK. Some people are just hell-bent to screw themselves up because they aren't capable of thinking for themselves. Anybody with two eyes and a soup�on of mechanical sense can see the folly of shortening that mating surface.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The thing about the 99's is the trigger sear and hammer dont always align in the same place the harder you slam the bolt shut ,the inertia will create a shorter sear engagement,or with a shortened sear can result in a rifle firing on closing!!!! Don

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys:

Can't believe the turn the campfire has taken----VernAK has had 1463 posts, asked a question

Two men, new to the 'fire with a total of 12 posts between them answered the question to the best of their ability.They were immediately leapt on, cursed and ridiculed.Another member with a couple of thousand posts gave his opinion and then stated he had never even done a trigger job. His comments were overlooked.

I think it would be better if the people who have all these thousands of posts could offer a little hospitality to our new guys.After all we are supposed to be here for discussion and our love for firearms, aren't we?? I think if you don't have something constructive or nice to say why don't you just oil your guns? You should never ask for a gunsmith's advice---when you get it you don't really want it.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Just because someone wrote it in a book doesn't mean you should run right out and try it.

Let him go LBK. Some people are just hell-bent to screw themselves up because they aren't capable of thinking for themselves. Anybody with two eyes and a soup�on of mechanical sense can see the folly of shortening that mating surface.
So you must think that one of,if not the best,gunsmith in America has no mechanical sense?I really doubt that Roy Dunlap would print a mod like that if it hadn't been tested over and over again and proven safe to do.If you think the mod is that disasterous to do,take it up with Roy Dunlap.

Earth first,we'll log the other planets later.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
oldgunsmith, as long as we have jerks like framis/oldman1942/goodiewench who continue to pop in under a multitude of aliases and spout off like an expert anything they read out of a book, you're going to have some hostility towards new folks who pop in and throw out statements that might get somebody killed or ruin a fine firearm.

Your name implies you're a gunsmith.. what would your reaction be to a brand new unknown customer who walked in your front door and started telling you what modifications to make to a customer's $1000 firearm, based off of his reading in a book?

Lots of us have been on the forum and have known each other for years, I'm a relative newbie. We're fully welcome to new folks, but a MUCH better way of introducing oneself would be to enter and say:

"Roy Dunlap said that <whatever method> is perfectly. Anybody have experience with it?"

Rather than:

"Do this. If you disagree, you're an idiot because none of you are anywhere near as good as Roy Dunlap.".

See the difference?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I appreciate your feelings and your knowledge on 99's.I myself asked you on your thoughts on the 99H and you gave me a straight up answer.We have had two young men post recently on the restoration of their 99's and whenever I had made a suggestion to one of them on drawfiling I also received a computer assault.Neither of these persons know me or my abilities but automatically decided I was "bubba"---along comes BertW and shows photos of his beautiful work with a file. The same folks that berated me for suggesting this raved about his work. I personally can't wait to see his finished rifle.

You are correct--I was a gunsmith for many years--"bubba" to a gunsmith is somebody that bugs you every day about his rifle and when it will be finished and as soon as you call him and tell him its ready you might not hear from him for 6 months!! From now on I will refrain from any input on gunsmithing, building springs, getting barrels out of actions, etc,etc,.I don't know the people you mentioned, but how do you know that's who they are?? Why not see if the new people have something to add to the forum??I had a large library in my shop to increase my knowledge so I was able to serve my customers better and always improve my work.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
oldgunsmith, as long as we have jerks like framis/oldman1942/goodiewench who continue to pop in under a multitude of aliases and spout off like an expert anything they read out of a book, you're going to have some hostility towards new folks who pop in and throw out statements that might get somebody killed or ruin a fine firearm.

Your name implies you're a gunsmith.. what would your reaction be to a brand new unknown customer who walked in your front door and started telling you what modifications to make to a customer's $1000 firearm, based off of his reading in a book?

Lots of us have been on the forum and have known each other for years, I'm a relative newbie. We're fully welcome to new folks, but a MUCH better way of introducing oneself would be to enter and say:

"Roy Dunlap said that <whatever method> is perfectly. Anybody have experience with it?"

Rather than:

"Do this. If you disagree, you're an idiot because none of you are anywhere near as good as Roy Dunlap.".

See the difference?
I assume that you are reffering to me and the Roy Dunlap statement?If so,I never called or implied that any body is or was an idiot.I am simply defending myself from an attack by some one who does not know me from Adam.Maybe I should have worded my reply to the OP a little different,I apologise for not.I do not think I deserved to get the flame job I got though,maybe some one questioning my suggestion should have been a little more tactfull and could have just asked for a reference on the mod.Instead I get brutaly attacked.Just because I don't have thousands of posts here does not mean that I am talking smack.I happen to be very mechanically inclined and capable.
There are plenty of forums on the net that will welcome my knowledge and abilities,after the "warm" welcome I've got here,this won't be one of them.

Mods:Please delete my account.

Last edited by 49willys; 05/16/11.

Earth first,we'll log the other planets later.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Be careful, oldgunsmith. If they don't have the answer you'll be called a troll and not to be fed. When the big guy with two pictures speaks, they cut you off like a following. I will add that honing a touch is the best for a first try. This has worked on all mine to ease a bit of pull. On the other hand, if you like to tinker, it's your rifle and the part are about $ 20.00 bucks. On the other other hand if you have to ask how, maybe leave it alone.(I like the one that says, I never done it, but)

Last edited by lowprofile; 05/16/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VernAK

A lot of good advice here. There is no easy fix.
I have done a few my self on my shooter's and hunter's that were 7-8 Lb. Pull down to 4 to 4 1/2 Lb Pull. But I would Not Recommend a dremel, or file. The Problem lie's with the sear and trigger surface which were machine , and have there tolerance's but the surfaces are rough,and the marks will gather debris and act as burr or coarse surface which is causing in my own words friction. Un-less you know how to polish, or gentle remove the cutter marks left, don't touch it. But if you can find a good lapping compound, which we use to lap out holes in tool and die for a smooth surface, or as they did to lap the bed and ways on a milling machine or even like a bolt on a bolt action rifle and bore-hole it slides in to. You take a little bit of lapping compound and apply to the surface, move both sear and trigger back and forth many times, until most of the marks start to smooth out or as to where the feel and you can see a difference in appearance, wash out with kerosene or a good cleaning solvent, apply some petroleum jelly,such as Vaseline or good grease-white lithium based very, very thin.

Hope fully you just want a easier trigger pull, not a shorter trigger pull-for the 2nd half of this statement by if you start messing with a shorter trigger pull, or start filing the tip of the trigger.Just My 2cents and J.M.O. based on my own experience and what i have seen a few others do and a competent gun smith also do.

good luck
Steve

Originally Posted by lowprofile
I will add that honing a touch is the best for a first try. This has worked on all mine to ease a bit of pull.

as Lowprofile said, Honing, or as i said laping,, same sort of procedure,
good advice,, there is a lapping compound in a green can called 4 clover,, or find a good honing oil.

Last edited by 1899sav; 05/16/11.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Good one, Thank you. There is nothing wrong with a good debate on any subject of the 99 type. Hearing from the ones that have played with the things are that helps out the most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lowprofile-- think I'll keep a low profile! It will be much better that way

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Roger that. Some here like a good debate and some just want to pout about not having only 14 members to rule over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hang around, participate in discussions rather than dictate, show pics of stuff you have and work you've done, ask questions, and you'll make a bunch of friends. Just like walking up to a real campfire.

Almost everybody here LOVES to learn new stuff, it's why the forum exists and thrives. At the same time, there's some topics that are hot topics for some - and modifying trigger pull is one.

49willys, sorry for doing a bad paraphrase - I really wasn't meaning to dump on you, just to provide extreme examples.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wait a minute. This newbie walks in and the first words out of his mouth are recommendations involving Dremel tools, files, rubber washers, and shortening the sear engagements of 99 triggers. Someone uttering nonsense like that deserves to be slammed, lest anyone take his suggestions to heart. Then said (now wounded) newbie invokes the ghost of an old gunsmith as if those guys who wrote books on the subject were demi-gods of some sort. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/17/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll go start at the begining............

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gunsmiths can drag your asses. Don't look back. Go talk your smack on a g'smithing forum.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am wondering who made these magnificent firearms to start with?? Were they preachers, teachers, or what??? I always figured they were produced by a gunsmith (Savage????) what was he?? I also perceived all these old gunmakers as being almost genius quality. Look at what they were able to produce with their own hands, very primitive tools and alot of talent. Just remember when you are running your mouth, a gunsmith built that rifle you hunt with and admire so much! Don't sell us too short!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Files:) Hand made saws:) Ingenuity!!! Yep, thas a tool too. Respect..that be a good one:) Strong hands:) As I'm working on this rifle project of mine..Time is a tool. Patience, er, correction...infinite patience. I'm particulary fond, though...of just asking a lot of questions:) Good friend one time told me I have the most impressive collection of 'friends' who are true Geniuses. Told him saves me a ton of frustration trying to be one meself:) So far...so good:) I'd sure like to have climbed into Mr. Savage's head for a bit.....

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
This is a collector forum not a 99 hone the trigger forum. drag your asses, don't look back. You guys make the rules as you go along? I only went back 5 pages and found thing like how's your turkey season(turkey forum), in need of prayers(700 club),Gimmee a Bin Laden (humor, jokes and riddles forum). You guys have hashed this trigger thing over and over in past years and now you get pissy about it??

Last edited by lowprofile; 05/17/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 2003and2013, 63 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.