Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've never used it, but a friend is telling me how great it is. I thought the current trend was away from using it. I understand it is supposed to reduce fouling and the frequency of cleaning, but I also seem to recall hearing that it created fouling problems of its own. Who uses it and why?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I dated Molly in college for 3 months.. I can tell you, she wasn't really all she was supposedly cut out to be...

and she spelled her name with two L's not one..

( and that greasy stuff just messed up my barrels and required a lot of cleaning..)

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Again - I've never used it but have heard it is a PIA to get out of the barrel. (Also heard Kroil works well at that?) What is the point of using moly?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So no one uses moly-coated bullets anymore?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The fad has faded but saying "no one uses moly-coated bullets anymore?" would be something of a stretch. ??

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm betting you could find a moly user or three around...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fad is fading...almost dead. Any objective tests to quantify the effectiveness of Moly have all come up with the same conclusions...
The only thing Mole does besides mess up barrels is.....sell Moly...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Fad is fading...almost dead. Any objective tests to quantify the effectiveness of Moly have all come up with the same conclusions...
The only thing Mole does besides mess up barrels is.....sell Moly...

It would be helpful to provide a link to these objective tests.
I think the use of moly as a bullet coating has been the victim of unproven claims by both sides, with the naysayers often having no personal experience with its use.

NRA/TSRA Life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of Varmint rifles that
I'm currently using Moly-coated bullets. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. After a Prairie Dog session I do a thorough cleaning of 1/3 Kroil and 2/3rds Shooters Choice followed by a cleaning with Moly Magic. I also clean in the field after every 40-50 shots using the Kroil/Shooters Choice combo.
I also found, contrary to popular opinion, I do not have to shoot several shots to condition the barrel.
Both rifles are Coopers, one in .17 Mach IV and ther other a .221 Fireball.
V

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if Bigstick uses it, we all must be idiots for not loving the stuff. I think UBC works about like they said moly would sans the velocity claims.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if Bigstick uses it, we all must be idiots for not loving the stuff. I think UBC works about like they said moly would sans the velocity claims.

Hey. Look. A double post. Sorry Stick, just rubbin it in....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep....he gives me crapp about " goin' nekkid" grin

But my boolits are already flying faster than i can see them, so I figured dats good enough....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
1sgLunde,

I fail to see the big advantage of using moly when you're cleaning in the field after every 40-50 rounds.

I've been using Dyna-Bore Coat (formerly known as Ultra Bore Coat, or UBC) in most of my prairie dog rifle barrels for a few years now, and almost never clean in the field. Most will continue to shoot accurately (and copper-foul very little if at all) for at least 200 rounds, and sometimes twice that. And I only have to install the DBC once, since it lasts for the life of the barrel, rather than moly-coatin every bullet--or paying extra to buy moly-coated bullets.

Kevin Thomas at Sierra did a 15,000-round test with moly-coated bullets. He couldn't find any advantage in cleaning or accuracy, but did find that moly tended to build up in the throat over about 50 rounds. This did effect accuracy and even pressures, but would blow out with a few more shots--unless scrubbed out first. I have seen the same thing in the field. What advantage that would have in any sort of rifle shooting is a mystery.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was bit by the moly bug a few years back and tried it with a number of cartridges and bullets using the NECCO kit and some factory-coated Sierra Matchkings. Comparing the same loads with coated and uncoated bullets the velocity was 10 to 60 fps lower with coated bullets. A little powder can be added to regain the lost velocity but I have not been able to exceed the original velocity by a worth while figure. The accuracy is as good or better coated, and with a few loads much better. I concluded that normal cleaning with Butch's Bore Shine or Wipe-Out removes moly because follow up patches with Moly Magic always come out clean.

My best groups with the .225 Win, .220 Swift and .300 Win Mag have been with coated bullets and I will keep using them because I have a bunch already coated. Any advantage to moly coating seems slight and, for the average varmint or big game hunter, probably not worth the trouble.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Walt

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Higbean, ingwe, Mule Deer..I'm sorry to perhaps offend you with my post.
I was only giving what has been my history with moly's.
V

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
V

I don't see where you get that any of that was directed at you, or that anyone was offended by your use of moly in your guns.

Last edited by Higbean; 05/17/11.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
V

Dooooood...I'm missing something here...nothing about your post even came close to offending...

I know you are new here, but check out how some other posters respond to my stufff.... whistle grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use moly in some of my varmint rifles, it does allow longer shot strings between cleaning. My .223 and 22-250 only get cleaned every 1000 rounds or so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use moly because I have all the stuff for it...

When I first began using it, I noticed a HUGE difference in how long it took for a barrel to "go off." But this was about 15 years ago at least, when barrel finishing wasn't as good as now, nor were the potions as good. I just didn't like mining a new Butte Pit worth of copper after every shoot.
Over time, I ran into a situation where the accuracy would go off after about 500 shots and then I would need to just HOOVER that barrel out -- every potion I could think up, and then some.
Then, one hot doggin' afternoon, madder than heck after six easy misses in a row, I just slammed some Regular Nine in the barrel on top of a tight brush, patched it out dry (about four patches) and started hosing away again. It worked.
I guess moly works best if you get experience with it, and enjoy the voodoo rituals associated. That said, one of these days I'm going to build a brang new rifle and I will try Bore Coat.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used moly in my varmint rifles for many years. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I generally do not clean my varmint rifles until they have exceeded 500 rounds through them. Sometimes in the evening during a multi-day varmint shoot I will run a patch down the barrel, but it is mostly out of boredom than need. I never scrub the moly out of the barrels. It defeats the purpose of using it. If I was just starting to shoot high volume varmints again I would probably use one of the bore coats that are now available. Not because they are better, but to save my fingers from getting blackened at the loading bench.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.