-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm in the market for a new one. I'd like something light weight, dull in color, and synthetic. I came into the market after a down layer I have got soaked and I ended up cold.

Opinions?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just received a patagonia micropuff pullover in the mail today. So far I'm digging it. Going to replace the Cloudveil down model I have as I'm scared of the scenario you mention.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've used alot of down over the years. I own both the Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover and am wearing a Puff Ball Vest as I type this.
For light, and very efficent insulation they work very well. I know of nothing in that weight and bulk class that does better. That includes down items.
They, like down, are not useful for a guy on the move, especially if climbing. For that use, I've found Patagonia's Regulator Fleece the best choice. Far better at staying dry and warmer than wool for instance. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like just about anything with merino wool in it. I've used poly pro as a base layer in the past and never had any issues with it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like my MontBell Thermawrap when I want something super-light and it's not too cold, and a Mountain Hardwear Chugach Jacket when it's colder.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Worth considering are: Super Cub Jacket from Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage AK, and Kuiu's Spindritf Jacket.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Patagonia MicroPuff, Montbell Thermawrap are two of the best. You can usually find Patagonia on sale if you're not in a hurry. Actually, REI's anniversary sale starts Saturday and I'm pretty sure the flyer had the MicroPuffs in it for around $100.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The MB Thermawrap in gunmetal is just dandy. Blocks wind and is remarkably warm for its weight. I have the parka and find it very useful for hunting as it packs down small but can be put on over standard fleece layers for glassing or if the wind picks up. Order up one size from standard if you plan on wearing it over layers as they run a little small (I have a large and I'm skinny, 5'11 160).

Brian

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure if black counts as dull in color, but I love the ID PLQ (though I'm not sure you can get them anymore). The Thermawrap line is top notch too. I've used the parka a bit and wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Count me as a huge fan of the Puffball vest. I use that thing for everything from ducks to elk.

My dad accidentally burned my first one, and I about died during the one fall season I was without it. I have since replaced and everytime I put it on I feel equal parts smart and warm.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have one of these hopefully in the mail:

http://www.shoebuy.com/adventure-te...48099?cm_mmc=nextag-_-none-_-none-_-none

Climashield Combat is 3.7oz IIRC.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 05/18/11.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
MHW no longer makes the Chugach. I wish that I had gotten one. TheirCompressor jacket is almost the same.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of these might suit your fancy: Wild Things Tactical Insulation Low Loft or Hi Loft jacket, they don't list the weights though.

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've got an older version of Patagonia's R2 fleece jacket that I really like. Weights less than a pound in my XL size, packs down small, is almost indestructible, and provides great warmth, especially when paired with a shell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an R2 as well and give it a thumbs up. I bought it the first year it came out and it looks as good as new, less a few burn marks (flying embers). It's pretty warm for being so light weight (no wind protection, though).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I have one of these hopefully in the mail:

http://www.shoebuy.com/adventure-te...48099?cm_mmc=nextag-_-none-_-none-_-none

Climashield Combat is 3.7oz IIRC.

The parka arrived today, HUGE roomy handwarmer pockets. Inside mesh storage pockets. The body is Climashield Combat and the hood (which zips into the collar) looks to be 2oz. The cut is quite roomy. I ordered a MED and sometimes that's a snug fit but not this one. Plenty of room for a softshell or maybe something like a Western Mountaineering Flash underneath. 23.6 ounces.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I've been using a Snugpak Sleeka Elite Jacket for the last 4 years or so. It's been a great jacket for me. 1 of the nice features is that it comes with its own compression stuff sack.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/snugpak_jackets/

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
One of these might suit your fancy: Wild Things Tactical Insulation Low Loft or Hi Loft jacket, they don't list the weights though.

MtnHtr

I've tried on most of the WT Tactical line at High Caliber Gear and it's pretty impressive in general. The Hi Loft is basically a very stout and somewhat loftier DAS Parka--I weighed a medium at a bit over 2lbs if I recall. There are a lot of re-inforcements, high denier fabric, and high stitch count, so if you're hard on gear it'd be a great frigid temp belay style parka. At 6'2" and 190-200 lbs a L would go over everything easily, as it should.

The low loft is along the lines of a Thermawrap (jacket not parka) insulation wise, but is tougher and a little heavier. It's a boxy cut and pretty true to American sizing. It has some interesting features that may or may not favor an individual. I'll have a review and some photos up of other WT Tactical stuff within the next couple of weeks once I'm done with spring bear.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
http://shop.kuiu.com/spindrift-jacket-p15.aspx

Above is a link to the new KUIU line of clothing. The Spindrift jacket. Priced at $139. Available in coffee or Vias camo.

At the suggestion of others, I picked up a Patagonia pull over, I believe a Micro Puff, a few years ago. Nice addition to my gear. Nearly always with me. Incredible heat vs weight ratio.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 05/20/11.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,212
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.