Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My brother has a wilson combat 45 acp 1911 gun. I have only handled it and it seems really nice. I have a cheap 1911 that is a little rough around the edges so to speak, but funtions fine and it pretty accurate for me anyway. Question is, why are Wilson guns 2-3x more expensive than even a Kimber or Springfield or any other gun that is recognized as a good gun? Most of the Wilson guns are around or above the 3 grand mark, while lots of other good guns are 1,000 to 1500 range? I certainly understand upgrades and stuff, but where does that much additional cost come in? Or is it just good marketing?

Salmonhead
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the reality is that $1,000 1911's are just average. That's not a knock on that category of 1911, it's just that there are some really nice 1911's out there nowadays. The bar has been raised.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fit and finish is about the only real noticable difference that I can see,but that is only worth so much to me though, and not 2-3x more. Higher end 1911s are sure nice, but I doubt I would ever own one. I personally put more value in performance than cosmetics. To me a $900 1911 does everything a $3000 one does and I wont be afraid to shoot it, or worry about holster wear ect.
I kinda have a limit on what i spend on(tools)and just cant see owning one that is too nice to use.
A gold plated shovel will never see dirt. (AKA- safe queen).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by salmonhead
My brother has a wilson combat 45 acp 1911 gun. I have only handled it and it seems really nice. I have a cheap 1911 that is a little rough around the edges so to speak, but funtions fine and it pretty accurate for me anyway. Question is, why are Wilson guns 2-3x more expensive than even a Kimber or Springfield or any other gun that is recognized as a good gun? Most of the Wilson guns are around or above the 3 grand mark, while lots of other good guns are 1,000 to 1500 range? I certainly understand upgrades and stuff, but where does that much additional cost come in? Or is it just good marketing?

This will answer your question:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/info_custom_shop.htm

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/info_15reasons.htm

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/dreamguns.asp

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a nutshell, you're paying for better fit a finish, which is essentially the difference between a factory produced piece and a custom/semi-custom pistol.

The "performance gap" between factory and custom pistols has narrowed greatly in the last 10-15 years, so it's more about aesthetics and pride of ownership with a custom gun. Only you can decide if it's worth the extra $$$.

The basic components (frame, slide, barrels, etc) aren't necessariy better than an over the counter gun - it's the handwork in putting them together that raises the tab.

Generally speaking, custom guns have and retain more intrinsic value over time. For example, a Pachmayr Custom 1911 that costs $1,200 new several decades ago may bring well in excess of $6,000 these days. That's part of what you're paying for with a custom gun.

Last edited by 41magfan; 05/19/11.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flinch444
Fit and finish is about the only real noticable difference that I can see,but that is only worth so much to me though, and not 2-3x more. Higher end 1911s are sure nice, but I doubt I would ever own one. I personally put more value in performance than cosmetics. To me a $900 1911 does everything a $3000 one does and I wont be afraid to shoot it, or worry about holster wear ect.
I kinda have a limit on what i spend on(tools)and just cant see owning one that is too nice to use.

What kind of rifle and scope combination do you use for deer hunting? Yep, that's probably a loaded question. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just can't hardly get excited about an expensive, custom 1911. A loose, cheap 1911 that goes bang every time that you pull the trigger, and is accurate, is more to my liking. My only 1911 is a stock Chas Daly Compac that I bought new in the 90's in the $300 range. It has never hiccuped, and is extremely accurate for it's 3" barrel.

A Ruger or Colt SA, or a S&W DA revolver, are the custom handguns that trip my trigger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by flinch444

What kind of rifle and scope combination do you use for deer hunting? Yep, that's probably a loaded question. wink

Well, I dont have more than a grand in any one gun system, thats my personal limit, handguns, rifles or shotguns. If I cant put a hole in whatever needs one with that much investment, it aint gettin one from me.

Some people drive Ferarris, I drive a Ford. Both do the same thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, but a Ferrari does it so much better and is a hot babe magnet! grin

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It's more expensive mainly due to the fact that skilled hands spent longer hours working on it before it left the manufacturer. That skilled attention is what you're paying for. The time of highly skilled forks costs money. Other manufacturers put out guns that have had very little if any time on the bench of a highly skilled worker.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll answer the question from my experiences.

I maybe the unluckiest guy in the world but almost every factory handgun I've owned has required the work of a custom pistol-smith to function the way it was suppose to.

My current Colt Gold Cup which is over 20 years old required some serious work from the House of Wilson. I could not fire more than 50 rounds through it without a jam usually a stove pipe jam.

After Wilson got done with it including a new hammer and trigger group the pistol will fire every round without a jam no matter the ammo. It works like a Swiss watch.

In my NOT so humble opinion, a custom 1911 is worth every penny one is willing to put into it assuming the custom house has good to great customer service which Wilson does.

I don't want to bad mouth any custom houses but one of the complaints one hears with some factory and custom shops is poor to very poor customer service. From my experience and the experience of others some of Wilson's cost of a custom 1911 is good to great customer service. Everybody makes a dud from time to time, it's how fast the custom house will make good on the dud that helps to justify the high cost.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'll answer the question from my experiences.

I maybe the unluckiest guy in the world but almost every factory handgun I've owned has required the work of a custom pistol-smith to function the way it was suppose to.

My current Colt Gold Cup which is over 20 years old required some serious work from the House of Wilson. I could not fire more than 50 rounds through it without a jam usually a stove pipe jam.

After Wilson got done with it including a new hammer and trigger group the pistol will fire every round without a jam no matter the ammo. It works like a Swiss watch.

In my NOT so humble opinion, a custom 1911 is worth every penny one is willing to put into it assuming the custom house has good to great customer service which Wilson does.

I don't want to bad mouth any custom houses but one of the complaints one hears with some factory and custom shops is poor to very poor customer service. From my experience and the experience of others some of Wilson's cost of a custom 1911 is good to great customer service. Everybody makes a dud from time to time, it's how fast the custom house will make good on the dud that helps to justify the high cost.
I wasn't impressed with their customer service. I ordered one of their custom guns ten or fifteen years ago. They told me I was on a waiting list eight months long. Then, in less than half that time, they call me and tell me it's ready, so I should send my check. I asked how that could be possible, since there was that waiting list for these guns made custom to order. He had no answer. I sent the check and they sent the gun.

It was obviously a used gun. Had obvious holster wear in the usual pattern, and came equipped with the sights that had come standard more than a year previously. The new advertised standard sights (at that time) were Novak pattern. I called and complained about getting what was obviously a used gun, and got the stonewall treatment. They eventually agreed to install the currently standard sights, but refused to put on a new finish, and wouldn't even consider replacing the gun with a new one. I paid for a new gun, mind you, not a used one. They denied it was used, even though the evidence was irrefutable.

My suspicion is that it was a sample they kept around the place for prospective customers to try, and they decided to replace it with something which had the newer sights on it, and they figured I wouldn't notice if they sent me their old sample, and even if I did, they'd just stonewall me once they had my money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Among "production" 1911's, I am solidly a Colt fan, based on both the designs and features, history, and quality. My new Combat Elite is excellent in all regards. I do own one Kimber, which is an okay, but not perfect gun. I have owned one Springer that was good, but have seen others that were way over-priced for the quality.

Among "semi-custom" guns, Baers also seem to have an excellent track record, maybe better than even Wilson's. The one I own is very, very good, and has some pretty trick features, yet was reasonable in price; I bought it used for a little less than one Kimber. I have never shot or owned a Wilson.

I am definitely interested in adding Colts and Baers. Wilsons seem to be a lot more expensive, and I'm not sold on them being worth it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
good answers, thanks guys. I knew I would get what I was looking for.

Salmonhead
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
at about half the price of the Wilson, the Gold Custom Combat from the Kimber custom shop is a pretty dang fine .45. I've had mine for ten years and have absolutely no interest in getting anything else.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have a cheap 1911 that is a little rough around the edges so to speak, but funtions fine and it pretty accurate for me anyway.

Okay, nobody else is going to ask. What make and model?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think it is like any custom gun, you are paying for the fit finish and detail. The proper fit and finish with 1911's can make all the difference in functional reliability. You can get a factory pistol for cheap that may run for ever. Your chances of an out of the box accurate and reliable working combat pistol are much higher with the higher end guns.

The Wilsons are one of the better ones, so are Ed Browns, Les Baer, and many more.

The Dan Wesson models are a very nice 1911 for the money spent.

It is a preference thing just like rifles, I want them to work every time I need them to, and I want them easy on the eyes as well.

Last edited by DougD; 05/20/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It like guys who wear Rolex versus Timex, both keep time just fine, but some people prefer fancy. I have a Rolex and I have a timex, I have colts and kimbers and I have a Les Baer. they all get used.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The main thing I want out of a custom is longevity. Twice the money makes sense if the pistol lasts 3-4 times as long.

Robert Frost
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
1. The more you spend, the more incremental the improvement. A $1000 1911 is probably twice the gun of a $500 1911 but $3000 is nowhere near twice the gun of a $1500 model.
2. Back in the day, if you got a Wilson, it was made by Bill Wilson. Now, they cost more, and it could be made by an apprentice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,046
Posts18,482,225
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.