Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I just finished reading "The One-Mile Prairie Dog" in the April-June issue of Varmint Hunter.

Now here is an off the shelf rifle and factory ammo onto dogs at 1750 yards in the wind. Granted the shooter and scope (Nightscope NXS 5.5-22x56) had a lot to do with it but at less than $1,500 I want one of those rifles. <http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/>

Comments?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Savage's 'short' actions are notoriously long. Wonder if the one in 6.5x284 could be re-chambered to 264 WinMag. Leaving everything else alone, THAT would be a long range king of the hill, methinks. Why choose between highBC and speed when you can ahve both?

I have long admired these rifles, Savage has figured some stuff OUT.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just noticed these are a single shot. I am almost SURE they would work as a 264 WinMag. Only 13 more months of these alimony payaments and then........

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I will have one of these rifles as soon as I do a little research on the best deal in my area.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad they don't have alimony in Texas!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I shoot F Class competition, when I started into this sport I had me a custom rifle built. I bought a Stiller DiamondBack SS drop port action sent it to Hart barrel for there magic with the barrel and trigger. I used a untapered barrel that is 1.375 of an inch for its intire length of 30 inches, I stocked it with a Richards Microfit Laminated Stock designed for F-Class Prone shooting, rifle weighed close to the max allowed at 21 lbs 11 oz.I scoped it with the newest NF 1/8th click 8X32X56mm. It is chambered in the 6mm Dasher. It is a pure joy to shoot, and to date ( I am still doing the load workup) it will consistantly shoot less than a 1/2 MOA all day at 800 yds, thats right I have groups on paper of less than 3 1/2 inches at 800 hundred yds. For me this was a dream rifle, it cost well lets just say it was waaaaay more than I had budgeted but hell I'm Old and this was to be the best I had ever owned and it is or maybe I should say was!!!

I build a few old Hot Rods each year. I had a customer who traded me a brand new in the box Class F Class Savage in 6MMNormaBR as a partial down payment on a car I was working on for him. I scoped it with the same scope a NF as I used on the custom rifle. Did very little load work-up but a enough to make it interesting. Ended up with a load of 28 grns of Benchmark and the Sierra Match 107 grn HPBT bullet. Took it to the range and much to my amazement that Savage will shoot right with that custom built rifle. It is a little hard to get your head around really. The complettly Stock factory rifle will and has shoot groups of 7/8th of an inch at 350 yds, and its best of 3.338 of an inch at 800 yards. It is a great little rifle and NOone would be better served buying one of these.

Roland

Last edited by Gunnyrs; 05/19/11.

Protected people will never be able to understand the intensity life "can" be lived at. To do that you must complettly and totally understand the meaning of the word "DUCK"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Gunnyrs
I shoot F Class competition, when I started into this sport I had me a custom rifle built. I bought a Stiller DiamondBack SS drop port action sent it to Hart barrel for there magic with the barrel and trigger. I used a untapered barrel that is 1.375 of an inch for its intire length of 30 inches, I stocked it with a Richards Microfit Laminated Stock designed for F-Class Prone shooting, rifle weighed close to the max allowed at 21 lbs 11 oz.I scoped it with the newest NF 1/8th click 8X32X56mm. It is chambered in the 6mm Dasher. It is a pure joy to shoot, and to date ( I am still doing the load workup) it will consistantly shoot less than a 1/2 MOA all day at 800 yds, thats right I have groups on paper of less than 3 1/2 inches at 800 hundred yds. For me this was a dream rifle, it cost well lets just say it was waaaaay more than I had budgeted but hell I'm Old and this was to be the best I had ever owned and it is or maybe I should say was!!!

I build a few old Hot Rods each year. I had a customer who traded me a brand new in the box Class F Class Savage in 6MMNormaBR as a partial down payment on a car I was working on for him. I scoped it with the same scope a NF as I used on the custom rifle. Did very little load work-up but a enough to make it interesting. Ended up with a load of 28 grns of Benchmark and the Sierra Match 107 grn HPBT bullet. Took it to the range and much to my amazement that Savage will shoot right with that custom built rifle. It is a little hard to get your head around really. The complettly Stock factory rifle will and has shoot groups of 7/8th of an inch at 350 yds, and its best of 3.338 of an inch at 800 yards. It is a great little rifle and NOone would be better served buying one of these.

Roland

That seals the deal for me. I don't and probably never will shoot F class but I've had a hankering for a very accurate rifle for years.

I read that Varmint Hunter article at least three times and couldn't believe it. Here is an off the shelf rifle with OTC ammo dumping dogs at a mile.

I gotta have one.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The model 12 Savages are outstanding rifles for varmint/predator rifles on a stand. The 4 we have are very accurate even with factory loads.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.