Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

CNN is actually running an article advocating the consumption of squirrels. A real decent article - considering where it is posted.

There is also a poll showing more than 2/3 of the respondents have eaten squirrel; or would, given the opportunity.

Just kinda stunned and amazed. And glad to see that article on that left leaning "news" source.

Squirrel

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Makes me wish I still had some in my freezer.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I wish they were easier to skin. There's a gazillion of them around here and I like to hunt them and eat them but I HATE to skin them.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I love fried squirrel - season opens shortly.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Just kinda stunned and amazed. And glad to see that article on that left leaning "news" source.

Squirrel

Why the stunned and amazed.
Squirrel really is good and CNN and lots of other media have championed hunting in various flavors in recent years. You guys just don't want to hear it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by yeselk
I wish they were easier to skin. There's a gazillion of them around here and I like to hunt them and eat them but I HATE to skin them.

I know what you mean. Just an hour after their dead you just about need a chain saw. Tough skin on them rodents. They do taste good though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are some tricks to skinning. Youtube will get you quite a few and there as a discussion on 24's small game forum not too long ago.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think it�s obvious we do want to hear it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Brent, I must have missed all of those stories, but I'm not a regular there.

Regardless of how you'd like to twist it in one of your signature drive-bys, I was glad to see a pro-hunting article on a site known to not champion some of our more down to earth pursuits. Thought I'd give them credit for the open mindedness.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

46 seconds.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi

46 seconds.

That method works but he's done it more than once.! I tried his method and the first few times the tail pulled off. Would take some more trial and error, but it works.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That is the way I do it but I am nowhere near the 46 second mark.
I suspect that squirrel was very young and very fresh!

Deer, I think the trick is to leave as wide a hunk of skin as possible connecting to the tail. I always try to cut no farther around the tail than I have to, often having to reach in with the point of the knife to cut the last couple of tendons. Then I make cuts down the legs at an angle of nearly 90 degrees to the spine.

BTW, that dude had a wonderfully sharp knife, too.

If you have the arm strength to do it you can also skin them by making a cut through the hide at about mid-body most of the way around the squirrel. Then you hook your fingers under the two different sections of hide and pull. I never really practiced the method but have seen some good hunters use it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
CNN sez "Get used to alternative food sources!"

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Brent, I must have missed all of those stories, but I'm not a regular there.

Regardless of how you'd like to twist it in one of your signature drive-bys, I was glad to see a pro-hunting article on a site known to not champion some of our more down to earth pursuits. Thought I'd give them credit for the open mindedness.

Just look around a little more. The constant put-down of the media isn't always deserved and stories like this one are conveniently forgotten when suddenly the "liberal media" comes up with a story about something less appetizing to the straight laced.

The point being, the liberal media ain't quite so liberal as it is portrayed here.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Brent, I'm very happy to have seen this story and I'd welcome you to link to others in the same vein.

Good stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,275
Posts18,505,038
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.