Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

I am planning to buy a GPS in a month or so and need some help to narrow down my shopping list. Of course lightweight, tough, and accurate are at the top of the wishlist. But I would also like to get a few of the extras like altimeter, barometer and trip computer to measure how far I have gone. Oh yeah, and I'm on a budget!

So where should I start?

GB1

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Garmin ETREX E. Well under $100 & does everything a GPS needs to. Tells you where you are, where your waypoints are, & your elevation. As accurate as any at 5x the cost.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I noticed what I think is a super neat facet of the GPS at a recent Sport's Show.

A company will sell you a micro SD card(only used on mid/higher end GPS units) that contains all the land status info for one or more states. I think they were offering WA, ID and MT for $129. Simply insert the micro SD into your GPS and you know EXACTLY who/what land you are on.

No more getting run-off "private land" or getting bluffed by landowners.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not an experienced GPS user here. In fact, I'm looking at purchasing my first unit. I'm looking hard at the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

What I like about it are its small size/weight, high-sensitivity receiver, has altimeter, waterproof and long battery life. Seems to have the longest battery life of any I've looked at actually. That translates into less battery weight and cost over the long haul. Still mulling it over though. The DeLorme PN-40 looks like the closest competitor at first blush, but I think the PN-60 is a better comparison since they improved battery life on that model (although DeLorme doesn't list battery life in their specs ... must not be too proud of it I'd say). Here's where my ignorance starts to come into play, but I think DeLorme tends to have the edge in software features and maps. Garmin seems to really make their money on your map and software purchases. Still, I think that the Vista HCx is fit for my purpose. I've never depended on a GPS before when hiking, hunting or driving. When it get's down to it, the Vista looks like it is a nice balance between size, weight and peformance when out in the hinterlands.

Another popular unit and comparable to the Vista is the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. If you do a comparison on Garmin's website between it and the Vista HCx, they are virtually equal, with the exception of size, including screen size, and battery life. The Vista HCx is smaller, lighter and gets more battery life. The 60CSx has a larger screen which I'm sure is nice.

I do wonder though if Garmin may come out with a more advanced model (better power management, more accurate, lighter, smaller) to supplant the eTrex line, or the Vista HCx in particular. Seems like it's been around for awhile.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Cabela's has some pretty good deals on some in the Bargain Cave. I'm tempted to go ahead and pull the trigger on one of the Garmins. . .

Has anyone had any experience with Delorme?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everytime this thread comes up it reminds me that I was going to spend a couple hours writing about land nav for rednecks and GPS use.

In my experience, there still needs to be some redundancy in the navigation department, so I ALWAYS also have along a USGS quad of the AO. Learn how to grid a map, and use a quad tool, pay attention to which datum that map is in, learn what ITM/UTM coordinates are (degrees, minutes, seconds can be like rocket science to a newbie)

With that said, I rock a newer WAAS enabled 24 channel Etrex Legend that does pretty much nothing but give me coordinates and elevation within an accuracy of 14', and store waypoints at the trailhead/truck. Everything else of interest along the way is plotted on quads and has notes penciled in. This makes you look at the land your working "Big Picture" weather you know it or not.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Check out prices on Amazon too and it's a great place to check reviews on those models you are interested in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess what I was driving at is, don't waste the money on a GPS that does mapping and a digital compass (NOT to be confused with a moving compass)

100 to 125 bucks is what you should pay for a GPS

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Unless you want one with a high-sensitivity receiver that'll pick up a signal under some canopy......

Foretrex 401 for me. Compact, lightweight, no unecessary bells/whistles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Unless you want one with a high-sensitivity receiver that'll pick up a signal under some canopy......

Foretrex 401 for me. Compact, lightweight, no unecessary bells/whistles.

Smoke,

The eTrex HC has the high-sensitivity receiver and can be picked up for less than $100. That's my choice.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Garmin Legend it has served me well for the last few years elk hunting in the High Country Timber

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T
The eTrex HC has the high-sensitivity receiver and can be picked up for less than $100. That's my choice.

Ed, which HC? I was just looking at these on their website and I see the "H" for $99, but none of the HC models for that price?

I can't believe you lug all that extra weight, that thing's over 5 oz.!!!!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Smoke,

It is just the basic eTrex H, not HC as I wrote. No mapping so no need for color. Yeah it's kind of heavy smile I wish they did the Geko in a high sensitivity model.

Ed T

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Etrex H, gets my vote.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, I'm not into mapping on a screen either, since I always have a hard copy. High sensitivity chip for $99 and 5 oz. is a great deal, I did not realize they were out there for that price.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Well, I'm glad you guys like the cheap model for a change! That will save me some money!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, it's rare when you can save some money on here, LOL.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yup, it's rare when you can save some money on here, LOL.

Isn't that the truth! smile

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm on my second Vista with the latest the HCx model. The topo chip has been invaluable for hunting the back country in the clearwater chasing cats.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd rather have top of the line gps than a top of the line rifle. I hunt in the deep, dark timber, with lots of fog and very thick foliage though. I'm into mapping on mine. I didn't realize how great it was, until a buddy loaded the maps onto my 60csx. I gave me more confidence to wander into the really remote areas, solo. It's great, especially when going a few degrees the wrong way will send you down into the wrong drainage, in the fog.

I'm upgrading from the 60csx to the newer model this year. Looking forward to trying it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.