Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Another question that comes to mind is this: If I was to get a nice light rifle in a deep-penetrating, high BC, light-recoiling round what would I want to keep my CZ for?

For instance, a Finnlight in 7mm-08 that shoots as well or better than my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 but is easier to pack around and I could even add something like a bipod and have the same total weight. I can't think of any situation where I'd rather carry the heavier 550 with the high bolt lift. I have a beautiful Trijicon TR20-2G Accupoint on my 550 right now. I really like the idea of moving that to a lighter rifle that I could mount it a little lower on. I love the look of a low-mounted scope.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa I like the 300WSM,in that EW wink

AZsixshooter.....I'm sure you can accomplish a lot with a 6.5x55;but there are solid reasons that any battery of bolt rifles for BG hunting,continent or worldwide, has, as its' center piece,a 30/06 bolt rifle.

We all figger this out eventually.... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 6.5 is not an -06. I agree that the 06 deserves consideration in a better handling package like a solid bolt rifle. In fact, the very fact that a good bolt rifle in -06 is often considered too boring should tell one something. If you really want to make it boringly effective, load it with 180 Partitions and run with it. Then again, if added distance is where you wish to go, a 300 mag would be worth a look. I'd probably just stay Winchester regular mag for that as the Weatherby has lesss added gas than the 340 has over the 338, yet it is claimed that the 340 hardly betters the 338. Go figure, or go standard. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by azsixshooter
I've got a .22LR, a .17 HMR, a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 and an M1 Garand (in .30-06 with the adjustable gas plug).

I keep pondering the next rifle to add to the bunch. I tend to want something like a .300 or .338 Win Mag to extend my reach on large game like elk. I used my 6.5x55 on a bull elk hunt in AZ and was fine with it because I knew in this unit I was in I probably wouldn't have too many shots past 100 or 200 yards. But one day we drove up to the wide open area in the north end of the unit and I glassed a cow elk at a laser-range 861 yds. Later we spooked a bull near her and I watched him run up a draw and crest the top with his two cows. I didn't mind passing on that shot at all, it was great just to see those animals and I count it as a successful, happy day. But it did give me an inkling for something bigger.

I originally went with my 6.5x55 because I was new to centerfire rifles and genuinely wanted to become a skilled rifleman. I progressed to the M1 and I managed to get in a lot of trigger-time over a couple of years and I got into reloading. So now I wouldn't be so concerned with having too much gun/recoil/muzzle blast.

The other side of the coin is that my CZ is a little on the heavy side. I was thinking about getting something like a .260 Rem or a 7-08 in a lightweight platform. I didn't mind carrying the weight of the CZ on my AZ Bull hunt, but if I were ever to hunt, say, sheep or goats I'd love to have a nice light tack-driver in something similar to the two chamberings I mentioned previously.

So I'm just wondering if anyone is bored and wants to throw their 2 cents out there. I'm not ready to buy right now anyway, but I'm always thinking about guns, it's 3am and I can't sleep and I haven't started a thread in awhile.

I'm currently living in Michigan, but desperately want to get back out west as soon as possible, either AZ, ID or MT. I am living in Livingston County here so I'm technically in the "shotgun zone" but I can rifle hunt up north if I want. Seems like the bigger deer are down here though.

Anyway, what would you add in my situation? Something bigger or something lighter? I feel like I'm pretty well gunned for North America. I'd hunt the big bears with my M1 shooting 180 grain handloads, maybe something in a monolithic. I feel like it is a very reliable rifle with great sights and if I had to move into a thicket tracking a bruin I'd be scared, but I'd still feel confident in my Garand. I think I'd rather have something like a .350 Rem Mag though, especially in a cool scout rifle config.

So the table is open and I'd love to hear your opinion. Would you prefer a .300 over a .338 Win Mag? My thought is to take advantage of the superior BC of the .338, but plenty of guys use the .300 to great effect. Or something different all together? Maybe like one of those Wild West Guns levers in 500 Alaskan or something? Or just keep what I have now and spend any extra money on more ammo! I love handloading and I'm always hearing about old-timers who love the 6.5x55...maybe I should just stick with her and make her my bride for life.

I wouldn't say I am recoil sensitive (I've shot .458 Win Mag and 12 Gauge slugs pretty commonly and well) but I'm not cocky about that and I know that the less recoil/blast the easier it is to shoot and I aspire to be a crack first shot killer with all of my rifles.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you handload? If so, I'd be thinking "better bullet, smaller caliber".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
7mm mag, RM or WBY
.30-06 bolt gun
.300 Mag, WM or WBY
.338 WM

I mention the 7mm RM because recoil is similar to a .30-06 in rifles of the same configuration, but it shoots flatter and can deliver more energy and velocity downrange.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I like to keep things nice and simple....

This is my 'battery' that covers all my hunting needs...

Sure, I could add other cartridges to the mix, but why make things more confusing than necessary.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
I like to keep things nice and simple....

This is my 'battery' that covers all my hunting needs...

Sure, I could add other cartridges to the mix, but why make things more confusing than necessary.

[Linked Image]

With these and a .223 you're ready for anything.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a .270 or .7mm weatherby?

Not to crazy in muzzle blast/recoil--enough to kill anything listed...put a 130, 140, or 150 TSX in the case, and have NO worries.

B8

MK
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
@oldfenderguy- I can't believe I didn't think about the .375 H&H! What a great idea, that might just be exactly what I want if I end up adding something for increased range on large CXP3 animals and big bears. Thanks you very much!

@swampy- If I stay here in MI and decide to add an AR to my collection I'll make it a .223. I like the idea of a pred rifle that can do double-duty as an effective defense rifle too (that I can get surplus ammo for). My concern is what rifling to go with. Is there a happy medium that best covers the most common bullet weights? I'd like to probably shoot medium to heavy-for-caliber bullet weights out of a .223 since I can use my .17HMR for any little varmints like woodchucks or smaller.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
AZ,

Need more info on what you shoot, what you hunt and if you reload. The 338 Win Mag is a lot of gun for anything other than hunting large game. For antelope and long range the .257 Wby and 25-06 are good choices. Hard to beat a .270 Win. for overall utility. Not as flashy, but sure does get the job done. There are almost too many choices without narrowing the field a bit.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1-7" will shoot 'em all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa I like the 300WSM,in that EW wink

AZsixshooter.....I'm sure you can accomplish a lot with a 6.5x55;but there are solid reasons that any battery of bolt rifles for BG hunting,continent or worldwide, has, as its' center piece,a 30/06 bolt rifle.

We all figger this out eventually.... smile

Man, I don't have ANY .30 caliber rifles in my battery... Guess I'm screwed... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I guess it IS possible to live and exist without a .30 cal...

It's also possible to read Braille...

Out of sight, out of mind. You'll probably do OK...

And, I made no comments about the blind leading the blind, wouldn't go there...

Just wouldn't be prudent...

HA!

DF

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I know the feeling when you are tormented by a new acquisition. It's like an itch, won't go away until you scratch it. That is how I scratched myself into a Sako A7 SS 30-06. One of the best purchase I have ever made. It weighs 7.6 lbs with Zeiss Classic 2.5-10X50 in Warne med. QDs.
There is a synthetic blue 300 Win. listed on GB for $650.
It weighs only 6.2 lbs. Depending on your choice of scope and rings you could end up with a sub 8 lbs quality package.
Beyond manageable light weight you will have speed, reach and knock down power at longer ranges.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would add a medium-light 30-06 bolt gun, or if I wanted to extend range and keep it reasonable, do the same with a 7mmRemMag.

Otherwise, there's not much you couldn't do with the 6.5 if you really wanted to use good bullets, load it to max ability, and learn to shoot well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you want a hunting rifle that is lightweight and accurate, save your money and get a NULA 24 30-06. You can kill everything that won't kill you.

If you want a larger cartridge and you already have a 30-06, get the 375 HH.

I think the difference is if dangerous game is on the menu. If so, get the 375. If not, get a rifle you can use on everything else in the world (eg. 30-06).

If being practical isn't a concern, get whatever en vogue caliber makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The 375 H&H is a really good and really fun round. It is also capable of shooting as flat as a 30-06. The lever guns are also very fun for short to mid range shooting and very effective on game. The 45-70 is an excellent lever round as is the 44 mag or 45 colt or 357 mag.

I was shooting a 45-70 with sub sonic loads (450 gr at 800 fps) next to someone with his 308. He set up a 4 in steel target at 200 yards. He shot his first round, hit the target and it swung some. I shot one shot dead in the center of the cross hairs. I hit about 4 feet low. next shot I held over and bang, then ting, then the target came out of the ground and launched a few feet back.

I think that you are going to end up buying more rifles than just your next rifle. There are just too many good calibers and most all of them are effective game getters if you know your rifle and cartridge

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
You're right about that gohip! There are a ton of different rifles I want (as I'm sure you all do too). I just try to think about covering all my bases before I start getting anything redundant or really nichey.

Some of the rifles currently rattling around in my head include:

Colt AR-15
Sako Finnlight 7mm-08
Blaser R93 .300WM
Browning BAR MKII Safari .338WM
CZ 550 .375H&H

If I stay in MI for more than a year I'll probably go with the AR-15. If I move back out to AZ I'll try to go for the Sako or Blaser. If I end up in griz country I'll strongly consider the .375 or .338.

Afterwards there are a ton of rifles I _want_ more than I feel that I _need_. For instance, I was at Cabelas and got to handle a 50th Anniversary Cooper .22LR Bolt gun....WOW, I would love something like that. I have a Marlin 917V and I have a 10/22, but I'd really like to add a high-end .22LR bolt. I'd also like a .22-250, a .257 Roy, a 280AI, a .264WM, a 30-30 Winnie, a Wild West Guns guide gun, Model 70 FWT in .270Win...well, I'm sure you all know the feeling! There is a looong list of rifles I'd love to have just for the heck of having a nice collection.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.