Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am just starting out .And tryed with a cheap 9mm mould ,that cast a 125 grain slug .It cast a slug that has to be tumbleld lubed, and thay seem to suck .Thay tumble and dont group at all.Any info would be great

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Any info would be great"

Not every bullet works in every gun. And those that do have to be loaded properly - especially cast.

Last edited by boomtube; 05/21/11.
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
ya I know thay have to be loaded properly I tryed diferent loads and two diferat pistols with no luck I have loaded diferant cast bullets 45/70 s 30 cal and a few others and have had great luck with them it just seems the 9mm isent my cup of tea

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You don't list much info. Personaly I like the tumble lube molds.

I don't know what you have tried so far but I would suggest you play with your COL and size properly to your bore diameter. If you don't know what your bore diameter is (and sizing appropriately), you are not utilizing one of the greater aspects of casting.

nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well yes I have sized them .I did also wipe the tumble lube off and tryed the stick lube and I did get a better group and no tumbling??not sure why .Well off to work and if its not raining tomro Ill try some other things thank you NH Frank

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have loaded scads of tumble lube bullets cast by Lee double cavitiy moulds, and find them to be as accurate as some of the expensive commercial bullets. Matter of fact, I tumble lube my 45-70 405 grain RNFP bullets out of a Lee mould without sizing them, and they shoot very consistently. If your bullets are tumbling enroute to the target, my guess is you have a sloppy barrel, and need a larger diameter bullet, but without slugging the bore, you'll never know for sure.

BTW, the 45-70 bullets come out at 0.459 which is perfect in both my rifles. I use a 105 grain 0.358 sized to 0.356 in the 9mm Parabellum, and it also works well. Also used a 162 gr cast SWC sized to 0.356, and with a very mild load of Bullseye, it shoots 2" at 25 yards for 10 rounds out of my CZ75. Most everything shoots good out of that one.

A friend of mine shot thousands of tumble lube lube bullets every year in PPC competitions, and he was getting great results out of his model 19 in 38 Spl.

Hope you get the problem sorted out.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 9mm can be very frustration to get good results using cast bullets in some handguns,mostly because the bore dia. and the distance to where the lands start to where the case head spaces in the chamber can very between individual guns. First thing I would do would be to slug the bore and size the bullet at least .001 over bore dia. My 9mm will tumble with anything smaller than .357 dia. bullets and on occasion it will throw a few of those as well It seem to like the 147 gr. cast bullets best. I'm going to do some experimenting with some 150 gr. .358 dia. bullets I have and see if it likes those better.

Make sure that you don't apply to much taper crimp and under size the cast bullet it's very easy to do,all you need to do is just remove the flair on the case mouth enough to straighten it out. You can use the barrel of your gun to drop test you reloads to make sure they chamber correctly.

I shoot TL bullet in every handgun and rifle I own and have no issues with the TL,I use it on both TL and non-TL bullet in all velocity ranges,bullet fit to bore and matching the alloy hardness to the load pressure are my main concerns.

Last edited by res45; 05/24/11.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks you Keith and res45 I will take a closer look at a few of these things you offer and let you know what happens NH Frank

nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
well going to drop of the ol pistoily and have it re biult

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been shooting a lee cast bullet, a 120ish gr trunketed cone style out of a glock 19 w/ lone wolf barrel. I may have just got lucky, but the results have been excellent. no leading, and this thing is a real tack driver. I prefer to run my bullets thru a lubesizer rather than tumble lube. IMO, tumble lube is a PIA.
Not sure what would be causing the bullets to not group and tumble. I would use the barrel as a gauge to see if they are chambering easily and headspacing properly. If not I would think there would be reliability issues if an auto, also.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Are you shooting both cast and jacketed from the same handgun?? Or did you shoot jacketed in the handgun in the past?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hey Tom I have been shooting lead cast some from a gun shop I have used and thay shot fine I tryed the lee with the tumble lube and it just dosent seem to like them at all .I plan on dropping the gun off to have it rebarreled in the moring should have it back in a week and we will see how it likes them than

nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well pickin up the pistol today .Lets see how a new bore works on them cast bullets

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.