Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In the process of sprucing up my old Husqvarna, I ordered a new FN style bolt shroud and Timney # 301 trigger.

I installed the FN # 301 trigger on my action without any problems, and the shroud on the bolt.

The trigger holds and releases the cocking piece just fine, but once the firing pin drops, I cannot open the bolt. I have to pull the trigger to the rear to be able to open the bolt. It seams that the sear and the cocking piece bind and lock the bolt in the closed position.

Would a Timney K98 #302 trigger, or a different cocking piece rectify this problem?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

TK

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have diagnosed the problem correctly. Not sure about the model, so a quick call to Timney would be in order or search for a different cocking piece.

Last edited by Karnis; 05/26/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TangoKilo;
I vividly recall the first time that I encountered exactly what you've described.

I'd bought a commercial Mauser trigger and installed it on a Steyr made military 98 that I was building for my wife. It locked up in the same way you describe.

On the cocking pieces on the military 98's there is a step in the center that is milled out.

The cocking piece on a lot of the commercial 98's are solid. They work with the type of trigger you have because the sear can't rise up - as the solid cocking piece keeps it pushed down.

Hopefully that mades sense?

Anyway, I'd call the good folks at Western Gun Parts and find out what they'd need for a commercial cocking piece for starters, as that's likely the least work and cost.

Hopefully that made some sense and good luck with your Husky.

Regards,
Dwayne

Edited to add:
The above presupposes that the "old Husky" you are talking about is one of the FN Large Ring 98 types, not the small ring.

My experience with Husqvarna trigger replacement has been always on the Large Ring actions, which are quite similar to 98 military actions.

If you've got one of the newer small ring Husqvarna's then replacing the cocking piece may not solve your dilema - I don't know as I've not done that on one.

As has been mentioned, a call to the good folks at both Timney and WGP would be a great start and definitely where I'd begin.

Again, good luck on your rifle and all the best on this wet weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/28/11. Reason: additional information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Husky action for FN action?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
do you know which model works best on 1600s

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elliesbear
do you know which model works best on 1600s

The original Timney made for the 1600/1640 action that uses the standard sliding tab safety. Unfortunately they have been out of production for a long, long time. They can be found, but aren't cheap.

Steve

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This might be a dumb question by why couldn't you stone the face of the cocking piece a little? Would that work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
model70man;
As I mentioned in my edit, I've not really worked on the small ring Husqvara actions that I can recall this morning, so I'll preface my answer with the understanding I'm talking about Large Ring 98 actions.

When I tried stoning/modifying the cocking piece on a LR 98 to solve the issue of the commercial type trigger not working, the only thing I accomplished was to wreck the military cocking piece.

Well I suppose it was a cheap education, as we had a chap locally who was parting out Mausers then and replacement wasn't a big deal.

As I mentioned though, that type of trigger needs a flat bottomed commercial type cocking piece to function. I've ended up with two triggers that needed that modification to function properly.

Hopefully that made sense and was some use to you?

All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
sbhva, thanks for your help. It was my understanding that one of the timney triggers would fit, but would require a stock modification to allow the timney safety to function? If this is correct, no problem, I have a pretty nice piece of california english to use and plan to build a new stock. I am a reasonably competent amateur stockmaker. Again, I respect your knowledge and appreciate your comments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
elliesbear;

I believe the trigger for the model 98 with the safety lever is the one you are referring to. It requires stock modification and the removal of the standard safety to work on the Husqvarna 1600/1640 action.

Steve

IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
sbhva, thanks

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes Sir, thanks. I went through this with an old J.C. Higgins Model 50 FN Mauser. My smith worked on it with the junky two piece trigger and afterwards when I released the safety from the cocked postion it would fire more often than not. I didn't want to take it back so I bought a Bold trigger and a couple of used cocking pieces and finally found the right combination. IMO it can be a very frustrating situation since I'm not a gunsmith. Thanks...Bill.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for all of the input.

Yes its a large ring military K98 action.

I'll get into contact with western gunparts and order the correct cocking piece.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.