Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Havnt carried concealed yet. But I want to. Question is, I'm bout 5'11" and 170lb. levi's and tshirt 365 days a year, I cant stand loose fitting jeans. Right now what I have is a Springfield Micro, What would my best bet be as far as holster and style? hope what im asking makes sense.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
First of all, ditch the Levis. Check their political and social issue support.

Wranglers....

T-sjirt tucked in? (I'm presuming so)..

Milt Sparks Summer Special, Versa-Max II, or Mitch Rosen ARG...

Though, at that build (not much different than mine), IWB concealed is going to be tough with that wardrobe.

I HATE ankle holster, so I can't recommend one for/to you.

Might want to consider a Kel-Tec P3AT with a belt clip carried in the back pocket when an overshirt or vest or jacket isn't possible.

What about open carry in you AO?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tough gun to hide on a slim guy. Belly band and XL Ts might do it. Band will eliminate print thru but will slow getting into action.
"Cell Phone" holsters are also very discrete.

If it is only people you are concerned with, one of the new tiny 9mm semis like a Kahr CM9 would be easier to conceal.

http://www.kahr.com/Kahr-Pistols-Parts/Kahr-Products.asp

http://www.concealedcomfort.com/gunlist.shtml

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I would use one of the holsters VA mentioned and alter the wardrobe just a touch. Untucked shirts like a polo or a SS casual shirt like Charlie Sheen wore on 2.5 men will cover it well.

Its heavy enough that I would want a good holster and belt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If you don't mind looking like a geek.. try a safepacker. You can carry about any pistol nobody even thinks about it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Piss off oldman1942/Framis/DoucheLady/Framis/LarryRoot.

How many times do you have to get banned to get the hint that you're not wanted or welcomed here?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Throw on a Carharrt vest and your options go way up: a good Milt Sparks IWB holster or a pocket holster, assuming the Micro Springfield would fit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
VA has it nailed or you could try a "Clip Draw".

http://www.clipdraw.com/

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by mud_bogger
I cant stand loose fitting jeans.

Well, now, you might want to rethink your philosophical approach to your wardrobe.

If carrying concealed is important to you, you ought to look at your clothing as part of a "system".

Choose what you want to carry, choose how you want to carry it, and then buy some new clothes, if necessary, to make the system work.

YMMV.

-Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like VA says, ditch the Levi's & get the Wranglers.

I'm 6-1, 215 lb & I wear a Glock 27 or a Commander sized 1911 in jeans or shorts & a T-shirt regularly in the summer.

Buy the jeans a size big in the waist & get a good, torsionally stiff belt. Buy T-shirts in darker colors that have a full body cut & wear them untucked. Loose fitting full button (Island) shirts work well too.

I like the Sparks VM-II / Brommeland type holsters slightly better than a Summer Special, mainly because the belt loops are not across the top of the holster as they are on the SS model.

Summer carry almost always requires a little compromise in attire or the type of gun carried in order to be adequately concealed.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1on no Levi's. No one in my home is allowed to buy any of thier products. Pity to a degree as I used to like Dockers before I learned of the Levi Strauss contribution records. Wranglers and Cinch jeans are well made and sharp looking.

For me, a light vest makes summer carry options more varied. I also don't like a gun or holster rubbing against my skin or loose fitting jeans. Actually, I used to like loose fitting jeans and such but it is my cute young wife who prefers me in tighter fitting jeans and such. Got to keep momma happy smile

I have two PAncake style holsters for my Kimber Pro Carry. A narrow belt model from Mitch Rosen and a wide belt model from Greg in TN here at 24hrcf.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
VA and Montana Marine have it exactly. I'm WAY different build than all of you, but if carrying concealed is something you want to do, then the way you dress will help to keep the piece concealed. IWB works for me. Summer Special works for me. Smaller profile pistol, or bigger profile clothes will make the job easier and more effective.

Best.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are going to have to dress around your gun.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"...For me, a light vest makes summer carry options more varied..."

Have you found something other than a photographers type vest light enough for Summer wear? To me they scream, "Shoot me first because I'm the guy with a gun!".

I much prefer to carry a larger pistol in a pancake style holster... I've bought a few pairs of jeans a size up for IWB carry but that is a dangerous thing for me to do... wearing old tight jeans is what helps keep my waistline in check... blush

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I often carry one of my Glocks (sub-compact 10mm) in my back pocket of my Wranglers with a color T-shirt over the back pocket, around my place. However, I do not do this in public understand. It is to easy for someone to come from behind and take your pistol away from you. The front pocket is much better if you can conceal your pistol from others!

I like my pistol on the right side if I am going out in public etc. I use a Don Hume or FIST holster set up. A good IWB hides better but as VA stated, you have to dress around your pistol.
Custom cross draw for driving in a vehicle, it is removeable and goes in the lock box, teathered to a 3/8 inch plastic covered cable.

Last edited by Tonk; 06/01/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As for a vest....these are tops. 5.11 is tops in tactical gear.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Vests/TacLite-Pro-Vest.html

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks guys, deffinantly some food for thought. I'll have to look into it some more.

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
What about open carry in you AO?

That works for most of what I do, and I'm set in that department, other than a decent belt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just ordered the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my Sig P-239 . If you don't like it they will buy it back after a two weeks trial period.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As a 27 year LEO, and firearms instructor(both LE and civillain CCW) who carries 24/7 365 days a year and currently lives and works in SoCal (for now) let me offer some advise, which I found has worked for me. I probably have 3+ drawers filled with holsters(belt, paddle, IWB, pocket,belly band, fanny packs etc..) mag pouches, and belts. Many of these were purchased by me others were given as T&E samples. If I add up the $$ amount I'm probaby looking at $2,500.00 easy (don't tell my wife). Also, I beleive in paying for quality once.

My duty weapon is a Glock 21 AND a S&W airwieght hammerless, which I can conceal rather easily. However, off-duty, I carry either my full size 1911 or lightweight commander AND the airweight.

Pants: +1 on the Wranglers. Like you I don't like loose fitting. Go with the relaxed fit. I can fit my airweight in the L/F pocket and the watch pocket is perfectly designed for a speed strip. The leg openings are just right for an ankle holster should the situation call for one (driving is a good example). If you want an IWB you will have to go up one waist size. Another trick of the trade so to speak, which I use all the time when it comes to my uniform and dress trousers, is to go up one waist size and have your tailor fit the waist to your size and have them drop and extend the rear pockets 1.5 to 2 inches. I can drop my airweight in my back pocket and it rides on your thigh and not on your butt, which can be uncomfortable.

Shorts: Cabelas 7 pocket hiker, once again for me, one size up with waist taken in leaves room for my airweight and the loops will accept a 1.5" double thick belt. 5.11 shorts, which I order true waist size as they are flex fit waist. The same with their regular trousers.

Undershirt: I also don't like the gun rubbing against my skin. Any t-shirt you like tucked in. I perfer dark color printed.

Outer Shirt / Covering garment: I really like the Carhartt Tradesman work shirt in dark colors. But any dark, thick material shirt will work. I also like the 5.11 Tac shirts and their Covert Casual shirts, which are worn for more "formal" occasions. I have all the vest from the various vendors (5.11, Woolrich, Sig etc..) But, you look like you just steppd off the plane from the some covert operation. Especially if you coordinate with the same colors. Then you have to put up with the, "are you going fishing today?" questions.

Belts: Any double thick leather or reinforced nylon. The belt is the key, as it keeps your gun from flopping around and pulls your holster in tight to keep it from printing. I'm a big fan of the Wilderness nylon reinforced "instructor" belt since my outer garment covers it. (thewilderness.com)

Pocket Holster: Kramer horsehide. Pricy, but I've had mine for 18+ years and it's my daily companion and dosen't print. I re-dye it once a year and apply conditioner when needed.

Belt holsters: Of all the holsters I own (Milt Sparks, Kramer, Galco, Blade-tech, Rafter etc..) My most favorite and every day ccw holster is the Zipslide from thewilderness.com It's a yaquai slide style, which is easily put off and on without undoing your belt. It will also fit various lenght pistols/revolvers of the same frame size (i.e. Glock 21/30, 1911/commander).

Mag pouches: See above. I carry thewilderness.com single mag pouches. I find for concealed carry two single pouches are more versatile than a doulble pouch. While on duty dept. regs. require a minimum of two spare magazines. Off-duty I normally carry one spare reload for each weapon.

Fanny packs: Still use them on occasion to carry a full size pistol whn dressing calls for a tucked in polo or t-shirt (walks/brunch at the beach etc..) Get one in any color other than black. Green and blue are a couple of colors that don't attract stares.

Why two guns?: One in none, two is one. Guns are mechanical object and Mr. Murphy is always present.Besides, I may also have to arm another person, my primary may be taken from me etc.. My wife knows that my airweight is either in my l/f pocket or on my ankle. She knows if trouble is brewing and I'm covering a particular area he is to remove the airweight fom it's location, arm herself for her protection and retreat fom the area and call for assistance.

Wtih this system it also allows me to carry a small Surefire flashlight and a Benchmade folder.

After many years of trial, error and expense this is what I've found that works for me. I hope this helps.

Also, I'm a LEO that does not fear the armed law abiding citizen. Don't be afraid to excerise your 2nd amendment rights. If you live in a state that allows open carry, do so. If you live in a "shall issue" state and you don't have a ccw shame on you. I/we can't be everywhere take care of yourself and your family!!

Respectfully,
Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,881
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.