Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Couple of my friend's neighbors have daughters born on the same day.

One family is VERY well off, and the daughter is a bit of a snot, despite her very down-to-earth, grounded parents. Let's call them the "Jones" family...

The other family is blue-collar, with not much left after stuff is paid for, though the kid is as happy as she could be, and could care less. They'll be the "Smith" family.

Both sets of parents are good friends, and like each other and the daughters equally well.

Well, 16th birthday rolls around for each of them. Of course, both girls want a car for their 16th.

The Smith's can't swing a car, but give their daughter a very good birthday party, and she'll tickled pink with the attention, the party, and what she does receive for gifts. Her parents put some money in an account for her, to help her get started toward a car, and she's been saving along the way.

The Jones' buy their daughter a car.

It's not the car SHE said she wanted (it was a used Honda, vs. a brand new BMW), and not a color she liked, and she went absolutely apeschit. Ruined her party, threw a fit.... Her parents were mortified, hurt, and genuinely pissed.

Well, the parties were on Friday.

On Sunday, Mr. Jones comes over to the Smith house to get ready to go play golf. Miss Smith (daughter) comes down, and tell her Dad that within about 6 months, with working extra, she thinks she'll have enough to put a down payment on a decent car, and make the insurance payments for the rest of her HS career.

Mr. Jones asks how much she has saved. She tells him, and says that $X of it is for the insurance for the next two years, and she wanted that paid for first, leaving her only $Y for the car, thus far.

His response?

"Cut me a check, for that amount." And, he tossed her the keys to the car his daughter didn't appreciate.

Took a few minutes for Mr. Smith and his daughter to make sure this was happening, and to get everything kosher, but the deal was done... right then.

Little Miss Smith will be riding the bus, or buying her own car, btw.

Lessons learned, all the way around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING!!! I really really hope BOTH girls get the lesson that is staring them both in the face.
Just awesome.
Hey, tell Mr. Jones 'Well done!' from a parent he'll probably never meet, for having the kahunas to do the right thing. He 'might' just save his daughter from a life of misery.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Little Miss Snot is really going to throw another fit when she finds this out, too bad, I wish I was there to see it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW! That is AMAZING!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks VA, that made my day!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by n007
Little Miss Snot is really going to throw another fit when she finds this out, too bad, I wish I was there to see it.

Oh, she did.

Her Dad's response?

"Your mother and I gave you a gift. You didn't want it and refused it. I bought it, your mother and I paid for it, you didn't want it, so I sold it to someone who did want it, and your mother supports the sale. If you want a car, now, you'll have to buy yourself one."

Then, he went to play golf with Mr. Smith, as had been the plan.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ain't Karma a beotch?

While on the subject of parenting - another nugget for the 'fire. Anyone with a teenage daughter has had them snort, stomp off, and then slam their bedroom door shut. Got tired of this drama from little miss crowrifle, so I simply pulled the hinge pins and leaned the door against the wall in her bedroom. Hung an old bed sheet for her privacy and told her to slam that all she wanted.

She might still snort and stomp some, but she ain't never slammed that door again.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
absolutely perfect!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Should add that we should all be so lucky to have had parents that would bitch slap us back into our place when we acted out. The girl don't know it yet but she should be thanking her dad.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Should add that we should all be so lucky to have had parents that would bitch slap us back into our place when we acted out. The girl don't know it yet but she should be thanking her dad.

She will one day, hw.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is absolutely OUTSTANDING!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was around 4 or 5 years old, my father took me to a video arcade. First we went and got a bunch of tokens out of the machine, and then went looking for a game.

The arcade was really busy that day, and all the "good" games had four or five people waiting in line. The rest of the games were occupied. After going around the arcade looking for an open game and not finding one, my bottom lip started trembling, and I might have sniffled once or twice.

That's all it took for my old man to yank the tokens out of my hand, give them to some kid waiting paitently in line, and haul my ass out the door.

I learned my lesson.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My video arcade was a pinball machine at the truck stop smile
Getting old smile
geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miss Jones got the most valuable gift of all. Might be some time before she realizes it, and she might not ever...but it is still there for her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Ain't Karma a beotch?

While on the subject of parenting - another nugget for the 'fire. Anyone with a teenage daughter has had them snort, stomp off, and then slam their bedroom door shut. Got tired of this drama from little miss crowrifle, so I simply pulled the hinge pins and leaned the door against the wall in her bedroom. Hung an old bed sheet for her privacy and told her to slam that all she wanted.

She might still snort and stomp some, but she ain't never slammed that door again.

i did that, girls thought slamming a door was their way to get the last word in a discussion.....never failed they would do it when Darla had a migraine.....said [bleep] it and removed the doors while they were at school grin havent had an issue with them slamming doors since even though they got doors again when we moved to the new house 5 years ago.........

Last edited by rattler; 05/31/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
AWESOME!

My little girl will turn one year old on the 2nd of June and God willing I won't have to deal with a brat like that in the next 15 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SWEET!!!!!

Good for the Jones' to not cave. Teen Smith gives me hope for our future.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If she turns out that way you could always pull out the ultimate punishment and send her to Auburn. grins

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Love it! I have seen enough snotty teen girls to really appreciate the good ones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 33 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.