Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Plaintiff attorney I'm not. Defense attorney I'm not. Trial expert I'm not. But I've seen what plaintiff attorneys do to make money and I've seen what trial experts will say for money.

Unfortunately in situations that cause a death, the guy/gal that was holding the rifle is the only one that knows what happened. Typically there were no witnesses that were constantly keeping an eye on whoever is holding the rifle that AD'd and killed somebody. So what's the easier way out? Lying and saying that the gun went off by itself? Or fessing up to having the business end of your barrel pointed somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be and at the same time having your finger on the trigger while the rifle was ready to fire?

I don't believe that factory Remington Model 700's that have not been monkeyed with just fire all by themselves. It's maybe an accident caused by plain human stupidity and/or carelessness. But guns don't kill people.

ETA: Put me on that jury, please!

See what I mean....?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't worry Bob...I'll shut up now since I have too much common sense and don't meet your standards of expertise. And yes...I promise.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bob!!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Hmm, I guess Winchester shooters are just smarter, none of them seem to have a problem keeping their fingers off the trigger.. wink

Judging by the people who swoon over "pre-64's" I'd say not.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Simple solution to all the bickering;

If you prefer old or new Model 70's buy old or new Model 70's.

If you prefer Model 700's buy Model 700's.

If you prefer Model 77's buy Model 77's.

If you prefer <fill in the blank> buy <fill in the blank>..

Be happy with your personal choice and don't worry or get drawn in to all the 'my gun is better than your gun and has fewer flaws' threads....

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like that oldfenderguy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds okay, but how many deaths by supposedly faulty remington triggers happened 2 or 3 miles away from the rifle?

The range is irrelevant.

Poor gun handling, although a possible contributing factor, is also irrelevant.

The fact remains that if a gun fires when the safety is released, the GUN itself is inherently unsafe. Good gun handling only mitigates the potential for disaster.

I suggest you read ALL the Remington documents submitted during the court trial before making up your mind. I read all I could find and came to the conclusion that

a) Remington knew there was a problem,
b) Remington knowingly made a cost-based decision not to remedy it, and
c) Remington did its best to hide and obfuscate the truth for years.

I own two Remington M700 rifles, three if you count my M700 muzzleloader which has the standard Remington M700 trigger group used at the time of its manufacture. The oldest, with a Walker trigger, had the factory modification. The newer one has the newer trigger. Not sure what the muzzleloader has, but I think it has the newer trigger. Regardless, I don�t intend to tempt fate with any of them (or any other rifle).

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If people would just listen to me we wouldn't have all these problems............. grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington still knows there is a problem, that is why they come from the factory with a 10lb pull. There is no logical reason Remington doesn't completely redesign their triggers. Even Rugers are on their third design on their M77.

I have had two Remingtons go bang after flipping the safety. One was adjusted by a smith down to 2.5lbs, the other was adjusted down to a mere 4lbs, and it quit working. The 4lb trigger worked for 200 rounds or so before it malfunctioned...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
257: Believe me I'm not in the least bit worried. smile...They aren't my standards....they are legal standards...don't blame me for it....I didn't make the law.

And yours is not the only "sense" that is "common".....you don't hold a monopoly on it.

You may not like Product Liability law,but it is what it is.....if Remington has been sitting on evidence,that there were/are problems with the Walker trigger going AD,then it opens the possibility of their own design flaw and negligence;hence, liability...Really simple...

A negligent "consumer" does not take them off the hook;after all, they "knew or should have known" of the design flaw, but put it into consumer hands anyway....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Plaintiff attorney I'm not. Defense attorney I'm not. Trial expert I'm not. But I've seen what plaintiff attorneys do to make money and I've seen what trial experts will say for money.

Unfortunately in situations that cause a death, the guy/gal that was holding the rifle is the only one that knows what happened. Typically there were no witnesses that were constantly keeping an eye on whoever is holding the rifle that AD'd and killed somebody. So what's the easier way out? Lying and saying that the gun went off by itself? Or fessing up to having the business end of your barrel pointed somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be and at the same time having your finger on the trigger while the rifle was ready to fire?

I don't believe that factory Remington Model 700's that have not been monkeyed with just fire all by themselves. It's maybe an accident caused by plain human stupidity and/or carelessness. But guns don't kill people.

If you answered the jury selection questions honestly, knowing what you just wrote-and I can guarantee that you would be asked your knowledge of both Remington and Model 700s-you wouldn't have the proverbial snow ball chance of getting on the jury. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have personally witnessed 2 Browning AD"s. One an Abolt fired upon bolt close, and one BAR that fired sitting in a rest at the range. The last one fired several seconds AFTER bolt close. So, its not only Remington. I was thankful that there were 2 miles of fields downrange of the BAR as it was not pointed down when it fired. I drove around the section anyway and was done for the day with that rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My gunsmith says 3.5 lbs is the sensible minimum trigger pull for a 700 Remington.
I had a bullet come loose one time and spill a bunch of ball powder in the trigger area. IIRC the rifle fired the next time I closed the bolt. Needless to say I always keep mine pointed in a safe direction. After I cleaned out the gunpowder it never malfunctioned again and we shoot that rifle a lot!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I've got a clean, properly mantained, no rust, 700 that has never had the trigger touched that has dry fired several times when the safety was moved to fire, with no finger anywhere near the trigger. I haven't used the gun since, and don't plan to. I've got others that I have more confidence in.

This is rare, but very real. To believe otherwise is simply burying your head in the sand.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by JMR40

I've got a clean, properly mantained, no rust, 700 that has never had the trigger touched that has dry fired several times when the safety was moved to fire, with no finger anywhere near the trigger. I haven't used the gun since, and don't plan to. I've got others that I have more confidence in.

This is rare, but very real. To believe otherwise is simply burying your head in the sand.

I would have BEEN on the phone with Remington.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or to an attorney to say, "now here is an unaltered Rem 700 that will repeat a faulty trigger discharge" and for big bucks I may add smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe you.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im with swampy, Youre full of it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I don't believe you.

I believe him. But who cares what you or I believe.Swamp,you really are a nobody.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're right, and I aim to stay that way. I still don't believe him or you.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (5sdad, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.