Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by deg967
Originally Posted by deg967
No experience with the SC models...but the ONLY problem I had with a NH 70 was a really rough chamber in ONE out of dozens I owned (at one time). Returned it to Winchester, they contacted me and asked me if I wanted it returned after they rebarreled it OR did I want them to cut me a check...makes me wonder how their customer service is nowdays ?

You should have asked them for reloading advice laugh whistle

BAHAHA !! Bite me BSA laugh

laugh grin

Ironically though I did have them send me a check, because if I'm not mistaken, is when I first ordered the .270 I've been loading for lately. Itchin to get to the range this weekend, hopefully !

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Sweet! wink

Whitebird how is the blueing on those old gals?

Perfect in every way. The rifle pictured on top is a Pre-War 30-06 made in 1938. The bottom rifle is a special order 7X57.

Nice to see those old rifles in original condition like that.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The biggest differences I see:

The old ones are Winchesters that were built by Winchester in the Winchester plant. The new ones are Brownings that are built for Browning in the FN plant.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OK, I kind of like the quality and design of the new Browning M70s from the SC plant. It's amazing what taking a few years to switch to a non-union plant does for quality.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well there is only one reasonable way to answer this question as I see it. Just ship me 3 Model 70 featherweights in .270(one pre 64, one PF and one new production) Please include matching rings and Weaver Super Slam optics. I will do a thorough evaluation and give yearly updates until we have a definitive answer. Just give me the ok and I'll let you know where to ship 'em wink

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Once you shoot a pre 64 you'll understand why they call it the "rifleman's rifle". Mine loads slicker than snot, shoulders perfectly and fits me like a glove. It extracts and loads like a hot knife through butter and is accurate as hell for a hunting rifle. I can tune the trigger to my liking and not worry about it collecting moisture or debris and not working. Its a rifle I can honestly say I'd trust my life on.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Once you shoot a pre 64 you'll understand why they call it the "rifleman's rifle". Mine loads slicker than snot, shoulders perfectly and fits me like a glove. It extracts and loads like a hot knife through butter and is accurate as hell for a hunting rifle. I can tune the trigger to my liking and not worry about it collecting moisture or debris and not working. Its a rifle I can honestly say I'd trust my life on.

That pretty much sums it up..... cool

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy

That pretty much sums it up..... cool

It certainly does...having owned multiple examples of all three types,I can't say I have been unhappy with any of them,especially after working over a Classic (which can vary a bit in quality).

I've been very impressed with the 5 SC rifles I have fired a good deal....they have been very accurate and of nice quality,functioned perfectly.It's only "fault" is the trigger,which I suppose is no better or worse than any other enclosed mechanism....but just isn't a M 70, either.That said I like the rifles...but would not use the action for a custom rifle if I could lay hands on a Classic.

The pre 64's were not made as show pieces....they were meant to be functional rifles, and that they did very well...they are also very accurate with great barrels of excellent quality.....IME some are as good as any custom barrel you can buy today.Those who have shot them know this.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Gonna get some heat for this, but I think the FN guns from SC are the best Winchesters ever turned out....

(snort)...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kinda waiting for you to see that..... grin

I DO wish they'd go back to the old trigger. With a little effort I got the new one adjusted, and I like it, but it doesn't have miles on it yet..so the jury is still out...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Not necesarily. The weight, balance and especially the stock shape didn't fit everybody the same. The stock on my Classic, for instance, is a straight, classic shape, not the iron sight designed one on the originals or the one on the original Featherweights.
The pre-64, M70 have far more good points than bad. If you aren't the "powder happy" sort of hand loader and don't insist on using old, beat up brass, you should never have a problem with leaking gas on a pre-64, M70. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 06/01/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
64's without a doubt. Great action!

Friend on mine has had to re-bed & touch up the chamber on his new Extreme Weather(FN) just recently.

Going to buy a Sako sooooooon......... grin

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gary O
How do the newly manufactured Model 70's stack up against the Pre '64 version? What say you?

In function, even the post 64 push feeds were better than the pre-64's. The nostalgia factor has created quite a cult following that can't be ignored. Listening to the pre-64 guys is much like going to a Star Wars convention. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Gary O
How do the newly manufactured Model 70's stack up against the Pre '64 version? What say you?

In function, even the post 64 push feeds were better than the pre-64's. The nostalgia factor has created quite a cult following that can't be ignored. Listening to the pre-64 guys is much like going to a Star Wars convention. smile

Some guys don't mind sloppy feeding (kinda pig like I guess) and piss poor extraction.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Mod 70's, I've owned a bunch and one of my favorites is a Classic in 25-06. I just don't tape pictures of them to my bedroom ceiling.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin grin

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I like Mod 70's, I've owned a bunch and one of my favorites is a Classic in 25-06. I just don't tape pictures of them to my bedroom ceiling.

Is that wrong...?

Must I take them down.....? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

laugh

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by ingwe
Gonna get some heat for this, but I think the FN guns from SC are the best Winchesters ever turned out....

(snort)...

You are getting way too predictable when that subject is brought up grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700

laugh

Better than a cousins convention.... inbred!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.