Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I know you're not supposed to shoot them with smokeless powder, but I do on my one damascus shotgun, an LC Smith 12ga 0 grade.

I shoot low-power shells, but have shot full power loads once. The charge was 1 1/8 oz, and the gun kicked pretty hard.

But with light loads, it shoots fine. The barrels are shiney inside and thick enough (I think) and I'm not too worried about it.

Anyone else shoot damascus guns?

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dont own one. But I missed a Parker 10 that I kick myself for still.

There was a very good series of articles in the Double Gun Journal a while back on loading and shooting Damascus guns. Sherman Bell was the author if I remember correctly.

He did a lot of pressure testing and developed a black powder baseline and then proceeded to work up smokeless loads that were well bellow that baseline to keep from pounding the actions hinge pins and locking parts. I remember a bit of work on pressure when shooting short chambered guns with over length hulls as a secondary discovery in the series also. There was a cool test to destruction, example of (1), as my engineer friend likes to remind me.

These were not factory loaded shells. They were specific loads developed with a pressure gage.
I think it would be hard to find a gunsmith to look over a damascus gun because of insurance issues.
I havent had a subscription in a few years and miss it.
Well worth buying the back issues if you can find them.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Something of interest I found out is LC Smith never built a short-chambered 12 ga. Although they made 16s and 20s in 2.5 (or 2 9/16) all the 12s even back in the Hunter Arms days were 2 3/4.

I'm shooting 2.5" shells in my gun just because that's what I could get in the size shot I wanted.

Some gunsmiths apparently will tell you if it's safe to shoot, although I can't believe they're all that common. I use common sense and trust a bit in my luck. All the examples of blown damascus I've seen were from barrel obstructions or from weak chambers from someone reaming them out to 2 3/4.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just load mine (3 english doubles), with black powder and have at it. Never had a problem. Why not use the stuff they were made for. You won't loose any performance.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
For me, it's a matter of pressure rather than powder. I have shot BP shells in my 16 ga., and I'm sure they kick harder than RSI light loads.

Nothing wrong with BP. It's extremely cool, but WILL pit barrels without a very great cleaning. Lots of pores for stuff to accumulate.

Also, my gun was made in 1904 and probably made for smokeless powder.

Last edited by Gene L; 06/01/11.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a set of sub-gauge drop in tubes in damascus barreled guns. They are Rhino Stingers 12ga to 20 ga and they have screw in chokes. Since they are only 15" long they will drop in any 12 ga gun.

Weagle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shoot my Great Grandad's LC Grade 0. I have always used black powder shells, but am going to try some of the low pressure nitro for black this summer. My gunsmith checked her out. It's truly a pleasure to carry his old gun in the field. My fowler is also a twist barrel. She's an old gun from the early 1800's. I hunt with her a few times each fall, usually for squirrels and rabbits. I have an old Western single shot, that i shot for years with all kinds of loads, but quit using it a few years back. The muzzle looks more like a blunderbus than a shotgun. It always sat in the milkhouse for whatever was needed,groundhogs, foxes, chickenhawks, skunks and the like. There were always a few shotshells in and old Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco can up on the window ledge. I just bought a Birmingham damascus cape gun in 577/450 and 12 that needs to get brought back on face. When she comes home from JJ, she will be shot as well, black powder only for her though. I like the feel of damascus guns. The balance is quite different from fluid steel. Besides, I like old guns, they talk to me.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by weagle
I use a set of sub-gauge drop in tubes in damascus barreled guns. They are Rhino Stingers 12ga to 20 ga and they have screw in chokes. Since they are only 15" long they will drop in any 12 ga gun.

Weagle

If the barrels are completely shot, that's the way to go. However, I don't want to carry a 8# 20 gauge around. The gun weighs just over 7#, and I figure the inserts will add a little. My barrels are shiney with just a bit of frosting in one tube.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gene,
I see you are in GA. The outfit that makes the spreader insert "Thumb Tack" for reloaders also does low pressure loads for older guns. A source for folks that dont like to pull the handle on a MEC.

Polywad

The owner is friends with my mentor for all things shotgun, from my younger days.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing wrong with shooting damascus barrels but I would have them looked at by a compatent gunsmith first. Then I would use light low pressure loads. There are many great damascus barrel shooters out there.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one...

The only thing my Grandfather brought to Texas from Europe.

It was my Great grandfather's 10 gauge.

Should have gone to my brother... he is 2 minutes older....

But he did not want it and I traded him a Win .22 cal Gallery Gun.

I have been told not to shoot it... so it will go to my oldest son.... and to his or if he has no sons, to the next oldest male heir.... and on and on

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 12 bore and have only shot Black Powder in it. It does shoot well though. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I've shot BP in my 16 ga. which has steel barrels, but I don't load shotgun shells and factory BP shells are WAY too expensive. Although I did buy a box just to try. My buddy was shooting it too, with smokeless shells and I sneaked one in on him. You should have seen the look on his face when it belched out that smoke, although less smoke that I would have thought.

With a 1911 and a 30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.