Kona Hawaii fishing report 2-20-02
<br>
<br>The marlin bite has been pretty hot! Mostly striped marlin (that time of year). We did have a little flurry of big blue marlin come through. Capt. Kenny Llanes and his son brought in one that they thought would hit the �grander� mark. Close but, it weighed in at 944 lbs. A fantastic fish anyway. The biggest striped marlin landed since 1996 was caught by angler Steve Broderick on the 13th. The captain was � well � me : ) It weighed in at 186 lbs. and was caught on Penn 30 international stand-up tackle. We were figuring we would hook into the average size running now. About 50 lbs. Steve didn�t complain at all about fighting the beast. He did a great job angling and had it boated in just over 20 minutes.
<br>
<br>The mahi mahi bite has also been hot! It�s kinda strange that the mahi mahi are biting this time of year and the spearfish aren�t. Either way, as long as there�s some good eatin� fish to be had, most people are happy. The ono bite is slow to none as is typical for this time of year. The �shibi� run looks like it�s just not going to happen this year.
<br>
<br>Ending this report on a high note, the bottom fishing bite has been fabulous. Two days ago I had out some jig fishermen from Japan and more than doubled my old catch record of amberjack caught, tagged and released in one day. A whopping 38!!! I think it�s a record that will stand for a long time. Angler Rodney Boreen also took the amberjack division of Kona�s �big fish list� this month with a 100 pounder. Uh �.. that was while fishing with me too. I guess every dog has his day. This seems to be my month : )
<br>
<br>See �ya on the water ,
<br>Capt. Jeff Rogers ,
<br>http://FISHinKONA.com
<br>