Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ironbender,

Yep, those are the instructions with the Talley rings. I have checked them out with a good Brownells torque wrench, and the little Talley Torx wrench works fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ironbender, that approximates what John was saying, I think I will re -mount one without squeezing the blood out of it. I wanted to zero 2 of them for the BLR 358 for my trip to Kenai. I have never had a scope die on a hunting trip before---but my name is, after all, Murphy! (I wish they had named that law after Jones or Smith!) Murf

It aint whatcha you shoot...it's how you shoot it
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by murf205
John, do you or anybody else know on any rifle scope service shops know how to make a friction adjustment Leupold hold zero? I have 3 m-8 4x scopes, and every one of them will move bullet impact a LOT more than the scope I replace them with.........

This part got my attention.

You do realize that the hash marks on most m8 scopes are NOT 1/4 moa? right?

From what I recall, they are 1 moa between each hashmark ,so YES they are a much "coarser" adjustment than most any new scopes.

Last edited by jim62; 06/04/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ironbender,

Yep, those are the instructions with the Talley rings. I have checked them out with a good Brownells torque wrench, and the little Talley Torx wrench works fine.

Doh! That's where I read it. whistle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by murf205
I wanted to zero 2 of them for the BLR 358 for my trip to Kenai.

When is that?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fred maybe did not answer you completely....the Kahles is a great scope,and comparing optics (for my eyes)I was hard pressed to choose between the optics of those and the Swaro PH, Summit scopes that we had the few times we compared all three....I like the Kahles a lot, but the Summit mounted up better for me on the rifle I wanted to use it on.

Just as a suggestion with your 4X for your range testing......shoot a 10" black bull at 300 yards, and put a 3" flouescent orange dot in the center for contrast; you will find this is just about blotted out by the reticle,and will help you hold more precisely.

I have shot some teeny 300 yard groups doing this with a 4X.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
murf205 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Jim, I probably should have stated that another way. What is happening is that with the 4x scopes, I am having fliers that I do not "call" out of the group. Sometimes these shots are 4 or 5 inches away from the others. Then the subsequent shots will go into a group where the flier shot. After a few more rounds, it will pitch another flier, and the same thing happens all over again, all without moving the adjustments! Kinda expensive when you are tring to zero a rifle with Triple-Shocks, or Noslers. But you are correct, the 4x Lupys do indeed have very coarse adjustments. thanks, Murf

It aint whatcha you shoot...it's how you shoot it
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hmmm...it's sounding less like a moving erector spring to me. I don't see how the erector could mess up by that much for one shot, then pop right back into place for succeeding shots.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Which is why I'm suspecting over-torquing of the ring screws. I've seen similar symptoms from Leupolds with the ring screws torqued "farmer tight."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Which is why I'm suspecting over-torquing of the ring screws. I've seen similar symptoms from Leupolds with the ring screws torqued "farmer tight."

I agree.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The other reason I suspect over-torquing is that it keeps happening, with multiple scopes, even after sending them back to Leupold.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are all your cases the same head stamp/brand name? It sounds like you are mixing head stamps on your ammo more than anything. 4 inch fliers aren't a scope issue, unless they wander all over the place all the time.

I have seen guys mix head stamps MANY times. I have accidentally done it myself and wondered why I got an extreme flier.

Whenever you get a flier, check the case completely (trim length, flash hole issue, lopsided neck etc.). Keep track of that case and either pitch it or load it again and see if it "flies" another one.

My dad and I were shooting a .30-30 contender a couple of weeks ago. His groups at 75 yards were about 5 inches. I told him he has to keep his head stamps separate if he wants to hit anything. He basically said, "B.S.". I wanted to prove my point, so I segregated out the Winchester, Remington and Federal brass (all loaded the same). I proceeded to shoot 3 separate 3 shot groups (one with each head stamp) at the same target. I had 3 neat little 3/4" individual groups. The 3 groups combined measured just under 5" total outside to outside at 75 yards. My dad is a believer now. I have seen factory ammo vary over a foot at 100 yards with the same bullet and weight, just different headstamps. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Another thing to check if you are using the Redfield style of scope ring bases are the screws that hold the rear ring by clamping it to the base between them. I had several bases that the screws were too long and bottomed out inside the base before really tightening the ring down allowing the rear ring to shift randomly around causing fliers. Take the ring off and tighten the screws until they bottom and measure across the screw heads then install the ring and measure again. Should be a bigger measurement when the ring is installed if the screws are the correct length. Caused me no end of problems until I found the issue.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.