Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Someday we'll all hopefully have the same rights that we presently bestow on our beloved pets...

I'm not advocating this option for any person who wouldn't want it. I'd just like to know I didn't have to suffer or live a day longer than I choose to. I've lovingly euthanized most of my loved pets. I think I deserve the same consideration.

But for those of us who might want a Dr. to be able to ease our transition back to the earth - I say this man was a hero.

Here's the article:

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, the crusader for assisted suicide who spent years in jail for his work, has died, according to a report from the Detroit Free Press.

Kevorkian's lawyer Mayer Morganroth reportedly told the paper the 83-year-old died early Friday morning at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, where he had been hospitalized for about two weeks with kidney and heart problems.

The report said it appears Kevorkian suffered a pulmonary thrombosis when a blood clot from his leg broke free and lodged in his heart.

"It was peaceful. He didn't feel a thing," the lawyer told the paper.

Kevorkian's controversial work earned him the nickname Doctor Death.

The doctor claimed he had actively helped 130 people to die, and his efforts contributed to an international debate on euthanasia that continues to this day.

He spent more than eight years in jail for the murder of a man whose videotaped assisted suicide was aired on national television.

Kevorkian went public with his suicide machines in 1990 and the videos of his patients begging him to help them die.

He dropped bodies off at hospitals and dumped them in parks and abandoned buildings. He brandished the kidneys of a man he'd helped die during a 1998 news conference saying, "first come, first served," a reference to organ donation.

Kevorkian's campaign to legalize physician-assisted suicide has had limited success. While his native Michigan rejected a proposal shortly before he went to trial, the state of Oregon passed the Death With Dignity Act in 1997 and the state of Washington followed suit in 2008.

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, the crusader for assisted suicide who spent years in jail for his work, has died, according to a report from the Detroit Free Press.

Kevorkian's lawyer Mayer Morganroth reportedly told the paper the 83-year-old died early Friday morning at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, where he had been hospitalized for about two weeks with kidney and heart problems.

The report said it appears Kevorkian suffered a pulmonary thrombosis when a blood clot from his leg broke free and lodged in his heart.

"It was peaceful. He didn't feel a thing," the lawyer told the paper.

Kevorkian's controversial work earned him the nickname Doctor Death.

The doctor claimed he had actively helped 130 people to die, and his efforts contributed to an international debate on euthanasia that continues to this day.

He spent more than eight years in jail for the murder of a man whose videotaped assisted suicide was aired on national television.

Kevorkian went public with his suicide machines in 1990 and the videos of his patients begging him to help them die.

He dropped bodies off at hospitals and dumped them in parks and abandoned buildings. He brandished the kidneys of a man he'd helped die during a 1998 news conference saying, "first come, first served," a reference to organ donation.

Kevorkian's campaign to legalize physician-assisted suicide has had limited success. While his native Michigan rejected a proposal shortly before he went to trial, the state of Oregon passed the Death With Dignity Act in 1997 and the state of Washington followed suit in 2008.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someday we'll all hopefully have the same rights that we presently bestow on our beloved pets...

Hopefully your daughters will find someone like him.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
ahhh Dr. Death! Shame you can't follow his example yourself Brian,. laugh

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SU35

Hopefully your daughters will find someone like him.

haha

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Brian:

Your bait is tired and stale.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can argue forever about the moral issues involved, but you sure can't argue that he went about his business like a complete a-hole. Brian, you may be the only person shedding a tear over this guy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thousands of doctors have been doing the same thing for years. He should have kept quite about it.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The grim reaper comes to collect his apprentice!

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCBrian
You are too funny (if painfully transparent) Brian. What is this pets' right you speak of? I've never had a pet ask me to kill them (although I've had a few killed). Or is it the same right we have over most all animals? I hope a few more deer commit suicide for my freezer's sake this fall.

I wonder if ole Jack is walking that well intentioned path right now?...

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, they don't have DNR orders in Canada? You can't refuse medical treatment? Is it illegal to off yourself there? What do they do if you do? Force you to spend the winter in the Northern Territories?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They drink themselves to death in that part of Canada;

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think of Kevorkian as a hero but I do agree that one should be able to have trained medical personnel put one to sleep at the end of his/her days. Obviously, safe guards need to be put in place but I don't know who should be in charge of the safe guards.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drinking yourself to death is less problematic and is socially acceptable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by BCBrian
You are too funny (if painfully transparent) Brian. What is this pets' right you speak of? I've never had a pet ask me to kill them (although I've had a few killed). Or is it the same right we have over most all animals? I hope a few more deer commit suicide for my freezer's sake this fall.

I wonder if ole Jack is walking that well intentioned path right now?...

Nah, he got on the express elevator straight down.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He didn't have the balls to take his medicine!

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I don't think of Kevorkian as a hero but I do agree that one should be able to have trained medical personnel put one to sleep at the end of his/her days. Obviously, safe guards need to be put in place but I don't know who should be in charge of the safe guards.

Agree 100%

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
By the way, they don't have DNR orders in Canada? You can't refuse medical treatment? Is it illegal to off yourself there? What do they do if you do? Force you to spend the winter in the Northern Territories?

Yes we do. If you sign one, you can get expect to get a bit of help if you don't go soon enough.

Dr. assisted suicide w/ and w/o patient consent does occur in Canada on a regular basis.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ironic that we can legally, honorably, and lovinly release a pet from the bonds of suffering, but not a family member.

Not all people suffering from a painful, terminal illness have the ability to end their own life, and need assistance when they choose that path.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reiche

Yes we do. If you sign one, you can get expect to get a bit of help if you don't go soon enough.

Dr. assisted suicide w/ and w/o patient consent does occur in Canada on a regular basis.

How can it be considered "suicide" without patient consent?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What purpose is there in making it illegal for a person suffering to end their own life?

Makes no sense to me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.