Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good point. My remote cabin has a "library" of - I dunno- I'm guessing 5 to 6 hundred books. All of which I've read several times over the last 40 years. Mostly escapement junk. Maybe 30-50 "thinking books". But who wants to think on vacation..... smile At home-I've still got - and re-read sections of - some of my college texts.

The question should read "who is a non-reading zero?"

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should see my pile of paperbacks on the shelf and in the storage unit. It's rather impressive if I do say so myself.

Mostly nowadays I read before falling asleep every night. Mostly crime and mystery with a few westerns.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I cheat - the ones I don't want to keep/reread (junk or not) I take into the civilization library and exchange for other books to read which I don't want to keep. They have a couple racks for "exchange books".

It would be wrong not to buy "keepers". Tho judging by what is often on the exchange racks, not everyone feels this way. Sometimes it is hard to find anything at all worth reading, even once, there...

A guy can get the DT's out here in the villages.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love to read. Thanks for the tip.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Because I have a book recommendation. Open Season by CJ Box.

It is about a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Pickett. He is hard working and a very devoted family man.

Check out the book and get addicted like I did then read the whole series.

Winnie1300

I don't know anyone that doesn't read.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy a good book, but they are hard to find.

Three Against the Wilderness is a favorite.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Man enough to admit? Hmm, curious as hell why you would even think some would be embarrassed to admit?

I'm curious on that, too.
I'd be much more embarrassed to admit I played video games or watched a lot of tv. Reading is worthwhile, tv only marginally so. Most of what's on tv isn't worth wasting the electricity to run the blasted thing, let alone watching. Video games aren't allowed in this house. I'd sooner sit with the kids and make mud pies in the cattle yard.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read 2-3 novels a week, plus newspapers and of course here. I am currently revisiting James Clavels novels of Japan.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
I read 2-3 novels a week, plus newspapers and of course here. I am currently revisiting James Clavels novels of Japan.

Ah, the Shogun series. T, you're a fascinating fellah. wink

As to the question, I read like I eat, i.e., a lot. And only a jackass would be ashamed of being a reader.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE

That's impressive, I'm at about one a month. Just finished "Unbroken", good read, I'm sure you already got through it. Louie Zamperini, never heard of him, now he has my utmost respect.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't read a lot of books , but will put the time into them now and again. Last one was Unintended Consequences by John Ross , my wife found the pdf and put it on the kindle after someone recomended the book and we saw what amazon was charging for the hardcover version.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I read 2-3 novels a week,.....

I read a ton, but never novels/fiction.

I just never could get in to reading somebody else's mental fabrications, where everything is pre-planned and coordinated, and dependent on other fabrications to continue the "story". They are designed to steer you in a certain direction, or to almost force you to think you know what's coming, just so they can switch it up. Seems like a petty game to me.

Not a slam at those who do; they're just not for me, at all.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I agree, reading is only half of the program, understanding that the author displays a tendency toward liberal policy that views gun-control as a viable crime fighting tool, I tend to not want to pay someone to aadvocate a policy that I pay someone else to oppose. In other words, why pay for a book by an author who supports gun-control when you pay the NRA to oppose it? There are quite a few authors who write nice stories about the outdoors and such but have an underlying tone of tolerance only for those who share their views.In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winnie... dude... seriously, if you are hanging with guys who think it's lame to read you might want to think about a shift in your buddies.... you want to be an Officer someday right? smile

I agree with you about the CJ Box books being a good read.

Please don't feed the trolls!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've read all of the series and don't remember that as something I noticed.
In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris

Not saying you didn't I'm saying I missed any such character flaws.

Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did not mean anything by the title. It was a joke.

I have no clue what type of imbecile would be ashamed to admit they read.

Anyway CJ Box's books are some of the best I read.

Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dodgefan
I've read all of the series and don't remember that as something I noticed.
In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris

Not saying you didn't I'm saying I missed any such character flaws.

I never noticed that either. Maybe I will look for it while reading it again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i read, you might also like the Alex Rider series. it starts with Stormbreaker... its about a kid who gets drafted by MI6 in Europe when he is only 15... lots of neat story telling.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, I am up to Gai-Jin again, read them years ago before the Richard Chamberlin Mini-series was made!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winnie, you just HAVE to read the Capstick & Corbet books. If NOTHING else by them, read Death in the Tall Grass.

Old cat turd!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,121
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.