Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Paul, pull up WMICentral.com - they have a recent update and a map of the fire. There is a list of places evacuated, mostly ranches near the AZ-NM border. 183,000 acres of nice timber gone so far. The fire is progressing into Catron County NM.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Rain... we need rain...

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drove back on the south road (Hwy 9 that parallels the border from El Paso to Animas) this evening and the clouds were looking good. By the time that we got to Columbus, we could see cumulus clouds and rain cells in Chihuahua to the south! Even had a few drops on the windshield between Columbus and Hachita. Looks like a monsoonal flow could be developing--cross your fingers and pray!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We got about 20 minutes or so of light rain (big drops, just not many of them). Looks like there is more down northwest of Columbus and headed for Cruces. Looks like there might be some hail in with it.

Hope you guys got some of it down there as well Mud.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember all you potential elk hunters. Keep away from units 1 and 27 next year! They won't be any good! I repeat they won't be any good.lol!

In all seriousness (if thats a word), prayers for all affected by the fire, from the smallest creatures God has created to us Humans that live on the land in one way or another. I love that area and had hopes of fishing the streams. Now most importantly are the people of the communities up there. Prayers always.

BTW Kent, add me to the maybe list. Wife has an appointment Tuesday with the baby doc, so if all goes well, we'll know for sure if she is prego, even tho we already know by other ways that she is. my boy Nathaniel turns 3 on July 19th, so I don't know what that weekend has going. So for now count me as a maybebut unlikely.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Joe - going to that site right now. Just encountered fire spots on the NM side of the border east of Springerville, AZ - some from this afternoon's dry lightning and apparently some wind spotting from the big fire on the AZ side.

This afternoon got a call and drove as fast as possible to within 9 miles of the AZ border deep in the forest to help an old buddy evac his 640 acre off-the-grid homesite, barns and gun shop. Because of the big fire, we had dragged trailers and other stuff out earlier but today as he was on top of "his mountain" trying to locate various recent fires and call local ranchers with that info, lightning struck nearby and set off a big blaze.

He called me from the spot and then started grabbing all the most important stuff and within two hours we got it all out, including his vehicles. Whew - what a relief.

Kinda crazy up in these parts right now - smoke is thick and scary - some cumulus today and a few drops. We need a downpour bad.

But - none of this is going to interfere with our Fire gathering in July !!!

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Four years of fairly to substantial moister has caused an abundance of undergrowth and grass in these areas... one dry winter/spring and we are on the verge of the perfect fire storm...

Kent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will be able to run over to this event after work. Unless there is some event that stops the Wallow fire you wont be able to see over 100 yards cause of the smoke, right now I can not see the house across the street. I am 30 miles north of Round Valley with very heavy smoke and ash falling.

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Welcome aboard, it's a disaster what's happening up there and we'll wait for a while to firm up exact camp spot. We know where Ken's house is, the motel is and Paul's house is. We'll just pick a spot central to all that. Might be better out on the prairie instead of the treed forest, if some of that open land is public.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoping for calm winds up that way today, but it doesn't look like that is likely.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty quiet morning here,.....bigger than hell, it's starting to get gusty, and the High Strato Cirrus, above wildly torn Cumulus looks like we'll see 40 MPH + by mid afternoon.

I honestly think that the "weather forecasts" are mostly guessing, at this point.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I know people in the Eagar/Springerville area... looks bad right now.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bump

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
As of now we have 15 tentative yes's and some maybe's...

These fires have got us thinking of other things right now but wanted to renew this thought.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the top for this.

Its apporaching.
Offer still stands for a ride up if anyone needs it. I'll be going up early Saturday a.m., and departing mid-day on Sunday.

So far its azcoues, and I with room for one more comfortably in the truck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.