Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This week we opened the pools for our dogs! Those temps hit over 90 degrees and we set 4 of those 5ft kids pools (doubled up on each other) in the dog compound that is several acres for them to run and point birds. Fun to watch hit that water at 55-degrees and then 30 seconds later take off in a flash for another run.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Here too Tonk! I swear these guys are half otter the amount of time they spend in the water.....

[Linked Image]
I put their big plastic ball in to play with & many times will put in some minnows or feeder goldfish, they have a BLAST chasing them about, LOL!
[Linked Image]

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wish I could find some deeper plastic pools but only those that are around 10 or 11 inches in height. Mine are only 5ft across. I have 3 out right now and will put 2 more out tomorrow. The temperature is 97 degress this afternoon again. I am staying in the house until supper time for the dogs!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my GSP never goes in the pool in the yard i have out there for him in summer.....take him to the lake or river and yah cant keep him out of the water......may try the minnow thing grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Both my dogs are the same way...and they are supposed to be smart....can't get them in a pool in 90 degree heat...can't keep them out of a mud puddle in the woods at 35 degrees...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wadda yah mean supposed to be? they screw up on your taxes this year and get yah in trouble?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gents, just get your dog on a leash and bring him next to the pool ok. Now show him some treat (I use cooked beef) and give him a piece, while your rubbing him and scratching him on the rear etc.

Now with your waders on your feet or barefooted whatever, bring him into the pool (this may get a little rowdy) then calm him down with another treat. Now after he takes that treat, talking to him and pet him some more.

Next take him for a short walk of 50 feet and return to the pool once again. You simply repeat your prior actions with the dog and pretty soon the dog will take to the pool, they like those beef treats or chicken too. It may take 3 or 4 days of this but the dog will get in that water. Sometimes I must use another dog along side the dog that is not wanting to get wet. Nonetheless, they all will go into the water sooner or later.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I'm telling you Rattler, it's a HOOT!! You have to show them the fish a cpl times, they don't tend to look "into" the water on their own. Keeps mine busy for hours.......

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I usually turn lose 7 or 8 dogs at a time into the compound to run and cool off in those kids wader pools. Everybody loves that 55 degree water especially when the temps get over 80 degrees. It was 98 here last week and I changed water 3 times that day to keep them cooled down.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,844
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.