Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My best buddy, Ranger, passed away this afternoon around 4:45 PM. He had been sick for a while, it was getting hard to climb even the two small steps on the front porch and his long walks were all in the past. But he still loved rolling on the green grass and smiled that big goofy smile of his when I scratched his ears so I figured I'd let him stay around as long as he wanted. Last night he let me know it was his time, so just this afternoon I had made that appointment with the vet that every dog owner hates. We were going to spend all day Saturday together and then make one last car ride.

He waited until I got home from work, I went out to see on him just as his eyelids flickered his last. He was still warm in my arms as I carried him to the car to take him down for burial. Things like this let me know there is a just and merciful God, and I am glad to place Ranger in his care.

He wasn't a mighty hunter or a fierce and brave protector. He loved everyone and was the friendliest and most loving, gentle dog I ever had. He lived a good long life and was loved greatly.

As a rule I don't put up maudlin stuff like this in public, but did not want his passing to go without a tribute of some kind.

Run fast, jump high, my friend, I will miss you terribly.

Ranger
Oct. 8th, 1996 - June 2, 2011

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Very very sorry for your loss. Nothing like the love a dog can give his owner. My family and I had to put our Golden down just 2 days before last Christmas. Not our first and sure not the last. Best wishes to you.

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend and companion, Ranger. We become very attached to our pets who ask so little of us yet give so much back in return. My wife and I lost our 17 year old "good buddy" a couple years ago. Just now getting around to consider picking up another pooch.

Best of luck to you.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
A man and his Dog have a connection [ I call it love] That only they understand. My deepest sympathy Chin up Brother

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for your loss. Remember the great times to help get you through this painful one.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
"this too shall pass".......but its tough for awhile...been there and you have my sympathy...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well said, don't see how you could have said it any better. I've got a Lab with a similar disposition. He likes to hunt but loves us more. Sorry for your loss and glad you didn't have to make that trip to the vet.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just raised, trained and placed a superb yellow lab...nicest dog I've ever worked with...I am glad I won't see that day with him....

I feel your loss...believe me...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We are all so lucky to have such geat companions. I wish you and your family the best and I hope another great friend finds their way into your lives in the future.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
thanks for sharing. sorry for your loss. reminds me to give my dog gets an extra pat on the head in remembrance of Ranger.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated. It's a little better this evening but I keep going to the back door expecting to see him sleeping out in his favorite spot. It will take a while to realize he just won't be there any more.

I know it sounds kind of foolish and too anthropomorphic, but even in his death, somehow in his canine heart I think he was thinking of me and wanted to make it easier. I don't know how to explain the timing of coming home and going out there just as he took his last breath. Probably just an extreme coincidence, but I prefer to think he was waiting for me. At least I got to say good bye to him and didn't have to make the decision as to when that last breath would be.

Was doing okay at work today but tonight, his picture still gets awful blurry when I look at it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Man...I know its hard...but as Ive told many others, and have to convince myself at times.....the world is full of good dogs, find one, and give him the kind of life he deserves, the kind you gave Ranger...

Hint....

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good boy Ranger.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I know it sounds kind of foolish and too anthropomorphic, but even in his death, somehow in his canine heart I think he was thinking of me and wanted to make it easier. I don't know how to explain the timing of coming home and going out there just as he took his last breath. Probably just an extreme coincidence, but I prefer to think he was waiting for me.

Not foolish at all. I think you're right - he wanted to say goodbye in his own way.

And, his picture is blurry to me too. Must be the computer.
Chas

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Man...I know its hard...but as Ive told many others, and have to convince myself at times.....the world is full of good dogs, find one, and give him the kind of life he deserves, the kind you gave Ranger...

Hint....

[Linked Image]

There is nothing in this world cuter than a fat lab puppy. smile I'm pretty sure that, in time, there will be another little four legged critter running around pooping on the floor and chewing on shoes, I love dogs too much not to be without one for too long. But I know from experience not to look too soon, the memory of this one has to mellow a good while.

Going to the Humane Society today to donate the left over cans of food, that's going to be tough just being around more dogs that could be taken home when I know what happens if they aren't.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for your loss, it is tough losing your best friend...I know I lost my 9 year old Border collie a couple of months ago. I have to think he is in a better place, running, playing ball and chasing bears and geese! ( He was also my work partner, hazing wildlife at an airport.)

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
By far the hardest part of owning a dog is the day they pass.

When I was 5 my dad bought us a Rottweiler.. That was my childhood dog... Fast forward to my first year of college... I came home for the first time, hugged and kissed my mom, and walked outside to see my dog. He had unexpectedly passed away moments before I got him. Rigormortis hadnt even set in. Very sad day.

I currently have 3 loyal muts, and my girlfriend has a 9 year old boxer. Seeing those dogs pass are going to be 4 ROUGH days for her and I. The pain of losing a close and loyal friend is almost worth not having a dog to being with, but the joy of their life span is worth it in the end.

I am sorry for your loss, and seeings how one of my dogs is a yellow lab... I cant get the picture in your post to focus either... My computer screen must be bad too!

I am sorry for your loss.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
My condolences on your loss.

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that the loss of a well loved dog is tough on the heart.
regards
Dan

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Jim,

So sorry for your loss. Ranger will always be with you.

Ed T

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.