Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It's all relative to the construction of the deck. Get a thick, stout one as you'll need it with the trees, roots, small saplings, etc.

In your case, you'll pay a bunch for a green paint job.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have found that green paint job gets you more quality as well. Also, they are worth more down the road by a LONG shot. and in the specific case of ZTs, they are not more expensive.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a JD ZT with the Kawasaki engine and upgraded drive. I treat it nice but do put hours on it as we have tractor mower for the rough stuff. I went with the Deere as the dealer and parts are just right around the corner. To date we have had NO problems at all but I believe there are tougher mowers out there. The last ZT I had was an Ariens and parts were almost a hundred miles away....not fun...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Scag would be a good one to look at, too.

You could also chat-up the lawn care guys when you see them loading or unloading for a job. They'll tell you what has worked, what hasn't, and which dealers they use to keep them on the job. They put far more hours on a machine than you will, so that's a good place to start.

I'd suggest buying by the pound. More steel = better. You may not need a commercial mower, but it's good to look at what the difference is (design, heft, & price-wise), & come to your own conclusions. Just because it has your favorite color of paint doesn't mean it's built to the same standards as the professional units. Have the dealers show you how to replace belts, spindles, etc. Where are the zerks? Can you drain the oil without making a [defacating] mess? As they go over those things, you'll form an opinion of how well designed & built the mower is.

One other thought: I'm not sure what kind of shape you're in, or what kind of terrain you'll be mowing, but you may come out ahead price-wise with a commercial walk behind. If you don't like walking, maybe you can work with a sulky.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd go with the Hustler, maybe get the Kawasaki or Honda engine. The local Hustler dealer told me he had figured out how to rebuild the "non-rebuildable" pumps, so that is no longer an issue.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My brother in Law uses a Scag Wildcat for his large hill side lawn, believe the deck is 61� but they also make 72�s. Has a 26 HP Kohler and really does a nice job! I tried it out and even on the steep hill it was very stable. New cost is $9K but he searched around and went out of state for a clean used one at half that.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a professional landscaper for the better part of a decade. It was Skag equipment for me all the way. Keep up with the oil changes and routine maintenence and they will easily last the rest of your mowing days as a home owner. My first Skag went 9 years on all original equipment with very few repairs. The repairs that I had were easily done by myself and did not require a shop. They had alot less problems than the Ex mark. When I left the business I sold it for 3/4 of the price of a new one to another landscaper, even at nine years old. I chose the Kohler motor over the Kawasaki for professional use. Either one would work for a home owner.
Gravely were prety good, but I did not like some of their features including the weight. They were heavier than my Skaggs and not as nimble.
I would not go below a deck of 56" or more on a ride on, no matter which make you chose. I did not use their ride-ons but the Ariens small deck mowers were some of the best out there. I would not be surprized if there zeroturns were not top notch.

Good luck with your new machine.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P.S.
Unless you are tied to them. I would avoid the "green ones". Around here they are the most overpriced and overhyped equipment sold. No professionals in the three counties I worked in used them.

Just a couple of extra pennies for you.

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good review.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Kubota 60". Has been great the 6 or so years that I have owned it. My only problem is with blades. Maybe because I mow stumps, rocks, and T post. I'm kinda like a cowboy, I don't like to climb off my horse to do anything.
Butch

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL, thanks Butch! You made me spill some lunch on that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might take a look at www.badboymowers.com I just bought a 48" 27hp from TSC for a lot less money than those mentioned above. They have all welded decks and solid tube frames looks alot like commercial grade mower but of course it's not. I mow about 4 acres and it has cut my mowing time almost in half. For about $3500.00 not a bad deal, IMO. Butch

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.