24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new elk rifle. I came across a used but in good condition Mauser "M96 American" chambered in a .300 Win Mag for $489 in my local gun shop. It is a great looking rifle and feels good in my hands. This is one of the more unique rifles I've seen, it has a "straight pull" bolt. Iv'e attempted to do some research on this Mauser and found very little. I did find it was made for few years but didn't really take off here in the U.S. and was discontinued. I was hoping some one had some info about this rifle before make the purchase.
[Linked Image]

This is a pic I found of the same model but it is not the gun and dose not have a scope or mounts on it. I just wanted to show off the "sliding bolt".

My other options are a Tikka TK3 Light in a .270 WSM with a Burris scope for about $700 or a Browning X-Bolt (New).

Thanks for your help all...

Last edited by ShizerJack; 06/07/11.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got one in 270, and the thing is ridiculously accurate. Still got the box and papers. Most that I see are $550+, so sounds like a reasonable deal. Think they were only made for 2 years?

OP Offline
How is the trigger pull. I have read that it is stiff?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 25-06. Accurate with reloads. I haven't fired it in 10 years. I need to drag it out and shoot it some more. I doubt I've fired 100 rounds through it since I bought it new.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like the above, it's probably been at least 6 or 8 years since I shot mine and 100 rounds through it is probably about right. But I don't recall the trigger being bad, and I'm not a good enough shooter that I'd have been getting sub-moa groups if it had been very stiff.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine is .30-06

I believe they use remington bases & rings.

Trigger is crisp, but heavy and cannot be lightened very much or swapped out (according to my 'smith).

I found mine to be quite accurate.

the bolt handle is in an odd place, if one is trying to shoot fast, you must move your hand forward after the shot to get to the handle, then its fast to cycle, but not as natural as going straight up to get to the handle in normal guns and I think even the blaser or schmidt rubin straight pulls.

Poole
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
ummmmm ur in AZ? what gun shop?

quick! buy the thing (before I get tempted) and come shoot with us in Sept
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/hunting-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

Poole

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I had several guns and wanted something different, I'd definately buy the Mauser before one of those Japanese brownings. or a .270 WSM (I do, I do and I did). (If I wanted a weird modern caliber I'd go for the .270 WSM, but I like classics better and for Elk I'd prefer a .30)

For a new hunter I would not recommend an "exotic" gun, I would recommend a more common M700 or M70 in '06.

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 06/09/11.
OP Offline
Thanks for the great info.

I'm up here in Prescott Valley, and I usually frequent PV Guns or J&G's. The gun is in PV's.

I'm not new to hunting, my dad and I go almost every year. We have been up in 17A for the last five years hunting deer and pig. Last year we saw more elk then anything. My wife is pregnant with our first so we we put in for a limited opportunity hunt not thining we would be drawn. Sure enough we got drawn. The little one is expected on Nov 20th, the same time as my elk hunt smirk Iv's been informed by my wife I need to get my bull on opening day, no being picky.

Any ways Iv'e been looking for a new rifle for a while. My 30-06 Remington 710 has a broke clip latch, so Iv'e been duct taping the clip in for about 3 years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,832
Posts18,517,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.