Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The engine on my lawnmower is getting close to middle age , I have been blessed with next to zero love for all things mechanical blush
But even to my untrained and unobservent eyes , something seems to be amiss . I'm not sure how long it has been like this , but it don't look right to me .
The carburator thingy is below the air cleaner , I just happened to notice that the above mentioned thingy has a big wide open end to it , I guess that said wide open hole may let dust , cottenwood fluff , and anything else right into the carb rather than going thru the air cleaner .
Since this motor is younger than I ( not a lot wink ), please help guide me towards a way to patch this gapping wound in my lawnmowers chest.
Pics I can do , Got a bunch.

The poor soul that needs some help
[Linked Image]

if age and serial #s on this 6 hp motor help
[Linked Image]

Carbatator thingy under the aircleaner thingy Gapping hole in question shown

[Linked Image]

I know she leaks a lil erl , I been known to have a leak now and again myself , so we both keep refilling and keep chugging along . This air thing has me worried though.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't there normally a round cover/plug that goes over that? I'm no expert but I think there is kinda like a coin shaped deal.

Otto is my co-pilot.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
no kidding, looks like a sucking chest wound. Should be an aluminum plug that you can get from a small engine shop in the hole, but by the looks of the rest of the motor it may not run right if you put it in ...........Russ

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was kinda what I was thinking , there is a recess for something like that to fit into.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blanket
no kidding, looks like a sucking chest wound. Should be an aluminum plug that you can get from a small engine shop in the hole, but by the looks of the rest of the motor it may not run right if you put it in ...........Russ

Dang Russ , you'd probably burry me in the same hole as that motor LOL
Ya not sure why , but she been chugging along even with that chest wound, Sounds like some spray in carb cleaner , tilt the mower so it drains out the crap that has been sucked in . Then find the disk that fits in , or make one , then see if the screws on the carbatator thingy need adjustment ?

Phil

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
off the shelf freeze plug, and some flea market silicone.

I have a complete set up to replace that mess, if you need it, and can stand the freight.

Your "Mower".....?

Paint it,...and sell it as " Precision Lapped, High clearance Engine"

or

"Ate Chit and Died"

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Might want to clean the air filter if you put the plug in. I usually put a couple of stake dents with a prick punch on the rim to give a little more hold on the plug .......Russ

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Aye , thanks for the offer cool
I guess I can find a plug , just wanted to be sure that was what I needed.
I will be on the lookout for another vert shaft B&S motor in the 6-8 hp range . My last Commet 30 had a newer 8 hp B&S added to it , was a fun and good mower once I lernt how to keep the front wheels on the ground , but riding wheelies for 15' was also fun too

Phil

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Russ , a little extra gription for the plug cool
I do try to keep the air cleaner fresh , rinsed and lightly oiled inbetwixt.

Phil

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
off the shelf freeze plug, and some flea market silicone.

I have a complete set up to replace that mess, if you need it, and can stand the freight.

Your "Mower".....?

Paint it,...and sell it as " Precision Lapped, High clearance Engine"

or

"Ate Chit and Died"

GTC

My mower ??? Yes Sir it is .
Paint it and sell it ??? Nope Did that one time with my last one and wasted a bunch of $$$ on a brand new peice of chit toro rider. I'm back to another old Snapper because I like them.

Last edited by M1894; 06/09/11.

Phil

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
those snapper rear engine riders are one of the reasons i hate mowing so bad. only forrest gump mows with one of those tiny deck screaming piles of scrap iron.theres a better way to mow and if not just let it grow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No argument here,....

Snapper's ROCK,.....My 14 HP Kohler X 33" wades through DEEP green Tumbleweed, and asks for more,.....

Got Catalogs, Parts, pieces, and free advice.....

no joke,....

PLUG that hole,.....cuz' they are NOT building an engine that good no more, Se�or.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Handyman's secret weapon - duct tape.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by randymarsh
those snapper rear engine riders are one of the reasons i hate mowing so bad. only forrest gump mows with one of those tiny deck screaming piles of scrap iron.theres a better way to mow and if not just let it grow.

Can I get you some cheese ?

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Handyman's secret weapon - duct tape.

Inner tube and Wire (pronounced WAAar)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"sucking chest wound"

priceless word picture there,.....

GTC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Them old Briggs are good motors and the older platforms usually have the wear parts you can get from a place like we have called Berry Bearing. I like older iron, made by folks like me. Greg,kind of figure the sucking chest wound fit. Air thru the holes instead of the mouth, don't think the celophane from a pack of Camels would help the old B&S ........Russ

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by randymarsh

Then call me Forest Grumpy . That Commet 30 I was given as a house warming present 15 years ago was bullet proof , even 1894 proof .
My mini brush hog it was. Wear out a 9$ clutch disk every couple of years . 5 easy nutz and boltz off and on like a young lad and back ready to do whatever I asked it to do. Even bolted a 3' chunk of angle I had alum but 3" , to the front end for the tall stuff , and had to also add a seement block in front to help hold the front end down for brushhoggin.
I didn't clear a big area , but my yard is 1/2 acre bigger than the 10 year + overgrown mess it was when I moved in .
I sold that machine for 15$ more than I paid for it to an entriprising kid down the road. Kid frown so I tried to help someone out but they sold it for 10 $ ) can't fix more stupid than me I guess.
And after going thru a brand new nice rider , I've simplified my life a tad and went back to the pre 3 blades ,4' cut , hydrostatic , comfy seat , beer holder , electric start , peice of crap to what I know and trust . If I was a member back when I was ready to drop the $$ then I'd have made a much better informed decision as to where to put my few very hard earned dollars. So here I am Forest Gump to you , that 30 + year old motor still chugging away , I'll find the cap that fits and keep my eyes open for a newer 20+ year old motor to replace it with. Also as they pop up in the local ads , parts is parts and most of them last a long time . so I don't mind hauling away something some dumb azz seems to think "that's just Granpa's junk " " haul it away

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I GOTTA post pics of my MAIN MELLOW "Rider"

Snappers RULE !

GTC

M1894 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My snow blower is of around the same vintage ( the white painted B&S motors ) Pull the rope now and again and it still turns over . That may take the summer for me to get it back up and running , and same clutch and drive train as my snapper

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.