-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
"Straight Pull" Bolt Action Rifles

So after my last post I have become fascinated with the "straight pull" bolt action rifles. I have found two modern hunting rifles thus far and was wondering if anyone knew of an others. Google hasn't been to helpful in my search.

This is what I found:

Mauser M96 American
This gun was produced only 3 years the regular model was produced in 1996 - 1997, there was a premium model in 1998.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blaser R8

This is a high end rifle system that has interchangeable barrels (wide variety of calibers), scopes and stocks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So my quest is to learn all I can about these unique style of bolt action rifles. What else is out there?

Last edited by ShizerJack; 06/09/11.

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Ross rifle.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Browning T-Bolt rimfires -both old and new versions.

Also, I think Browning did a straight pull centerfire bolt called the Cierra for a few years..

And of course there are the toggle link straight pull bolt Biathlon rifles from Izmash in Russia and the Fortner Action from Anschutz.

Last edited by jim62; 06/10/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Blaser still makes the R8's predacesor, the R-93. Its slightly lighter and sleeker, but can only handle calibers up to .416 Rem. Mag. The R8 can go up to .500 Jeffery.

Before that there was a Blaser "Ultimate" and an R84 I think.

In early straight pulls there is also the early military Steyr, the U.S. Navy 6mm Lee, and several models of Schmitt Reuben used by the Swiss for many decades.

I have a matched pair of R93 Professionals with 9 barrels that is the backbone of my "retirement battery" so I'm biased.

Brazos Jack

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Lee 1895 6mm Navy and its hunting versions, Steyr 1895 military rifle, Ross, and others. Here you have a not well known Finnish straight pull the Lynx94. The hunting model here possess stock that was designed by a french stock maker friend of mine to follow french, german and other european hunters.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

This rifle is very well made and has very good reputation in Finland. Calibers available: 6,5x55, 270, 7x64, 308, 30-06, 8mmMauser, 338Federal, 9,3x62
[Linked Image]
this model is for shooting comp with laminated stock ajustable cheek piece and lengh of pull.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't forget the Swiss Schmidt Rubins. I really like the K31 which was the final version. The K31s are the best surplus rifles to come into the country in a long time. PH

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am curious how a turn-bolt shooter does with a straight-pull. Is it a problem to get over trying to lift the bolt? (I tend to be a very slow learner when it comes to adjusting habits.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Heym makes a wonderfully accurate straight-pull rifle called the SR-30. I used one on a cull shoot for fallow deer in Ireland a few years ago. Most of the shooting was fairly long-range sniping, but once we stalked a bunch of deer that we found bedded down, and I had no problems slamming the bolt handle back and forth while doing some quick shooting.

However, when working a regular bolt I use a back-and-forth motion anyway, with the palm of my hand. The typical shooter who grabs the knob firmly with thumb and fingers, then goes through four separate motions to work the bolt, might have more trouble with the transition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For some reason I've always done a "palm, hook, push" without it ever being taught to me. It might be because when I first started I was too little and weak to get a good grip on the bolt knob with my fingers.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
For some reason I've always done a "palm, hook, push" without it ever being taught to me. It might be because when I first started I was too little and weak to get a good grip on the bolt knob with my fingers.

i learned it cause one of my first centerfires was a SMLE.....so now i run all bolts like that, my wife uses the other method and as a result hates any of my cock on closing rifles....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I started out with a .22, but my first center-fire was a MkIII Enfield. I hadn't thought of that, but I am sure that it reinforced the action.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, Lee-Enfield bolts need a good push!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah so much so that the Hun thought "The Old Contemptibles" were armed with machine guns.

K31 with S&K mounts and Burris Scout. 308 performance, $650 all up. Far faster than a $3500 Cooper Scout. And it uses stripper clips and a QD magazine.

[Linked Image]

ALSO takes a Nasty bayonet!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, yes, but it hasn't been officially annointed and blessed.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a Swiss K-31 and a Steyr M-95. Both are interesting rifles, but the K-31 is made to high quality commercial standards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the K31's are very well-made rifles. Mine will shoot very very even without a scope!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my frend's son has a K31.

It is nice

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I am curious how a turn-bolt shooter does with a straight-pull. Is it a problem to get over trying to lift the bolt? (I tend to be a very slow learner when it comes to adjusting habits.)

The only serious drawback I've seen is when left-handed shooter try to use the rifle. A left-handed buddy of mine eventually gave up using his K31 in CMP matches, because working the bolt for the rapid fire was too much.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's one of the many beauties of the Blaser R93 and R8. All you need to change is the bolt and bolt head to convert from right to left hand action. It's a completely modular rifle.

Brazos Jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.