Campfire Tracker
why not subscribe to this:

http://www.westernhuntingdata.com/

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Harvdog
24hourcampfire
Look, I'm not even going to try and patch up this post to much or get into all the "he said she said" stuff. But, I will ask that you proof read my first 3 posts before making any assumptions. I think I came across pretty decent until I was bitten by the watchdog of 24hour:)

You have to understand that asking guys to just give up specific information about where they hunt is pretty personal. Might as well ask em to email you a picture of their wifes boobies and a recent copy of their bank statements. Hunting spots like what you are looking for are as closely guarded as those two things.

Thanks, Anyone have any Unit #s or trailheads that they want to share? Which units in the flatops do u think have the most wilderness or ability to put some distance between us and other DIY hunters. Anything to help narrow it down a bit would be appreciated!!

Hunting spots like what your looking for are few and far between and it's because of the ease at which information can be obtained. Magazines, Garth Carter type services and the world wide web have all but made these types of spots obsolete.

Spots like this are found and cherished because they are pretty rare in this day and age. I realize you aren't a resident of CO but if you were and you had watched good spots, areas you had hunted without competition for years, get publicized and then overrun with hunters you might have a little better understanding on why people are tight lipped. Exbiologist gave you good information, come in with specific questions about specific areas and you might get a few tips.

Asking the way you asked rubs some people the wrong way. My grandfather is a landowner and he always told me growing up that you never ask a man how big his spread is. Same principle

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
you have a PM!

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Awesome, Thanks!! I will make some calls and ask about it. I bowhunted in Pike County Illinois with a guy from Jersey, he shot a big buck that crossed onto the Drury Brothers property and we were not allowed to retrieve him?! We called him Jersey and i was Missouri, lol.....good dude!

Last edited by Harvdog; 06/04/11.

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
But I like Boobies:)!!!! Seriously, come on now, u guys act like I
am so damn serious about wanting your freaking honey holes! Read my post and loosen up a little bit. I fired back at one of your 24hour brothers and had 2 "rants" for a dang good reason and now your all freaking out! If Anyone talks to you like that I hope you would have enough backbone to call them out and inform them of your purpose. Some of you guyz are like a pack of wolves, but I like it! I'm more of a mountain lion myself, NO BS, and I go straight for the kill! Seriously WTF is the big deal,lol!
Maybe this is better?????
Who has hunted unit 14? What time of year did u hunt? How many elk did you see? Did anyone kill? How far back did you go, truthfully now!? How many hunters did you see on your hunt? How many years have you hunted 14? What's your wifes bra size? Can I see them? What time is dinner?

Last edited by Harvdog; 06/05/11.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But I like Boobies:)!!!! Seriously, come on now, u guys act like I
am so damn serious about wanting your freaking honey holes!! Read my post and loosen up a little bit. I fired back at one of your 24hour brothers and had 2 "rants" for a dang good reason and now your all freaking out!!! If Anyone talks to you like that I hope you would have enough backbone to call them out and inform them of your purpose. Some of you guyz are like a pack of wolves, but I like it! I'm more of a mountain lion myself, NO BS, i don't need help and I go straight for the kill! Seriously WTF is the big deal,lol!
Maybe this is better?????
Who has hunted unit 14? What time of year did u hunt? How many elk did you see? Did anyone kill? How far back did you go, truthfully now!? How many hunters did you see on your hunt? How many years have you hunted 14? What's your wifes bra size? Can I see them? What time is dinner?

Harvkitty, I didn't freak out or go on a rant. Take a deep breath bud. I was merely pointing out why the reception may have seemed cold.

Nobody is going to come right out and tell you their favorite spots on an Internet message board. The best way to gain knowledge is to research the hell out of it and use a little deductive reasoning to figure out where you want to start your hunt.

I wasn't being ugly, just honest. To understand this you don't need to have "backbone", all you need is a brain. Good luck

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thats Cute you old dog:)
Deeeeeeep breath........Ok!! Once again, read my post. I never said you went on a rant. I just asked like 10 questions and you answered 0? Are they the wrong kind again? Geeezzzzz! Wasted your time and once again no help. As far as wasting my time, your not. I'm sitting in a motel sifting through more Colorado info and looking at maps. Learned alot in the 3 days since I started this post and had fun talking with some of you boyz in the process, thanks. Lol
Who wants to put a stop to all the madness and just delete the dang post and my user name all together!! I will come up with a new name and make sure I do everything exactly how some of you boyz want it done.

Last edited by Harvdog; 06/04/11.

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks, I got side tracked, sorry. We are backpack/camp ready now so I will remember the halfway up advice you gave, makes sence! No more motel hunting for sure!! We saw 2 sets of hunters on horses while in there, one was bringing a quartered up bull off the mountain, It was sweet!! They asked who dropped us off we were so far back in there, lol. I feel It was a good hunt and who knows we may end up back there again? If we do I will Pm you with our plans in case you may know the area. Thanks again!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Harvdog:

Most Western hunters are not going to tell you where their honey holes are. You're going to have to find your own spot and it sounds like that's what you're trying to do. There's lots of info available and if you do your home work, you might be able to find a good place to start. If you want to hunt in Colorado, here's how to locate an area.

Over the counter bull elk tags are valid in about half of the game management units west of the Continental Divide. So start with the Big Game Hunting Brochure to determine where the OTC tags are valid. Then get a copy of a road map of Colorado that indicates which land is public. Compare that to the map of game management units in the brochure and create a list of OTC units with lots of public land.

Next, look on the CO DOW big game web page for the recap of preference points required to get a license in limited draw units. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/ There are more licenses offered than there are applicants in those units that require zero points. Those are places where game populations are at or above management objectives. Pick an OTC unit that requires zero points and has lots of public land.

Then, go to the interactive game management unit maps. http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm They contain maps of winter ranges, calving areas and summer ranges in each GMU. Finally get a copy of the USGS map(s) for the area and memorize it. With all that info, you ought to be able to pick an area where there are lots of elk and lots of public land. And then you should be able to determine where they are in summer, where their winter range is located, the most likely routes that they use to get from one area to the other, and therefore where they are most likely to be during hunting season. You can buy this info in a CD that�s a little more user-friendly. http://wildlife.state.co.us/wildlifestore

I�m not familiar with the resources available in other western states, but I would wager that there�s similar info available in all of them.

I hope this helps. Good luck and safe hunting.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks KC

Decided on 521 I believe. It was a toss up between 14 and 521? I called the Gunnison District today and ordered the basin map. I have the nat geo map # I need and it's on order also. I have also been using the Colorado overlay mapping system a little. Its nice. Now the homework starts.

I was never wanting Anyones honey hole, I guess it seemed that way from some of the replies I got. I guess it seemed as if I just decided that day I was going elk hunting. Far from it! The Internet is crazy, I fell into a trap and a downward spiral of trying to Prove myself to people I don't even know, better yet who don't know me. If anyone were to ask me about whitetail in Missouri or Illinois I would point them in the right direction but not to my treestands, so yes, I do get it. Thanks for the help.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Harvdog. Sent you a PM.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Does this mean no one is going to post pictures of boobies? Still waiting.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Venor ergo sum
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Here your go Elkliver - you're just in the wrong forum.

Bon Appetite!

(But a Warning - make sure no one else is looking over your shoulder on this one - could mean trouble.)

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5141439/1

Last edited by WI_Canner; 06/10/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,801
Posts18,516,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.