-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi, this site was suggested as a good place to get hunting and fishing information.
Opportunity to relocate near Indianapolis and travel statewide doing pre-acquisition analysis work.
Have never been to the state except to pass through.
Any opinions on quality, availability and cost of hunting and fishing opportunities ?
Also how are the gun laws and restrictions.
Thank You RW

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
redwolves, easy state as far as firearms are concerned. Licenses are reasonable in price, compared to other states. BIG problem is 80+% of the state is privately owned! Getting access to hunt can be a Bioech! Squirell and small game hunting is easier to get permission on. Deer is a sticking point. But, there is the Hoosier National Forest in south central IN., as well as other state properties, but it's crowded. Fishing is not so much of a concern, and there are a lot of places to fish. Depends on what you want to do. Post up, and I will try to answer your questions. I've lived in IN. all my life, and I'm 60 yo.

maddog

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's not a horrible place for gun laws, but Kentucky is a lot better. I lived in Indiana for fifteen years or so, it was okay, but some of the handgun restrictions at that time weren't too friendly, it's improved somewhat since then.
Lots of deer and turkeys in the state, too, and squirrel hunting is practically the state sport. Lots of good fishing, either in Indiana, or across the river in Kentucky, which has a LOT of good lakes for fishing.
Indiana's got some wierd hunting regs regarding rifles and deer, you'll have to get more info from a current resident, all that has passed since I moved here. When I was there, it was pretty much shotgun/ML/handgun for firearms, now they've got some "peculiar" rifle regs that allow for "pistol ammo rifles" they are really odd laws, to my notions.

It's a pretty nice place, good people, pretty terrain, good roads, all in all, not bad at all.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
CCW license is $40,good for 4 years,re-up before that expires for a lifetime CCW for $100. Really the fishing opportunities are endless and the hunting can be excellent even on public ground if you do your homework.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grew up in Greenwood just south of Indy and it was great but it's not what it was. That being said, my brother still lives there and he has great opportunity for public land deer and small game. Check out the lakes and Sugar Creek down at Camp Attebury for fishing and the White River can be a great float for squirrels and smallmouths.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

redwolves:

Be advised that you are required to have a concealed weapon permit valid in the state of Indiana when transporting a handgun in your vehicle while in Indiana.

Pretty weird, I know, but it's a misdemeanor crime here. Most who drive through never find out, because they're never stopped and have their car searched. But it does happen from time to time.

DO NOT let that discourage you. Indiana is otherwise a very gun-friendly state, and it is not difficult to get a permit.

Welcome, if you decide to take the job, and be sure to get in touch. I live just north of the city and work downtown.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ttt

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Try searching here.

INDNR

You wouldnt like it here....not much in the way of deer hunting and mostly small bucks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Now Tom.......whistle grin

maddog

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for the link. There is a lot of information there.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,111
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.