Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
1st off lesson learned NEVER buy somebodys project bike.

Its a 02 ktm520sx with the factory 540cc big bore kit. 4speed transmission was swapped out for a MXC transmission (1-4 is close ratio 5-6 is wide) It scoots.

[Linked Image]

Slapped my steering damnper on it and Rode it for a handfull of rides with out a hitch Then a few miles into a ride I hear a light clatter noise almost like a valve thats a lil out of adjustment. No big deal, 10minuet fix. I spin around and idle back down the road to the truck. The noise starts getting louder, Then about 1/4 mile from the truck KERKLUNK she locks up. Pull the clutch and coast it to the truck.

All fluid levels were fresh and fine,

Heres what I found.

Piston was sideways and had hit the head like that bending 2 valves as well as jamming the plug inside itself.

and then (this happened at idle!)
[Linked Image]

timing cover/ left side
[Linked Image]

Right side
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Oddly enough the rod looked fine,as did the entire bottom end. Any ideas on what could cause it to nuke like that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow!

Compression was good? No piston slap before it grenaded (on other rides I mean)?

You get ALL the luck! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like an object got stuck on top of the piston and went from there into the cylinder wall and then kaboom.

What did the head look like?

Last edited by NathanL; 06/13/11.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to say w/o seeing more pics, but my guess would be the bearing on the little end of the con rod failed causing the piston to fail. As to why the bearing would lock up, it could be that it wasn't receiving enough lubricant or when it was assembled it was put together dry which caused it to gall over time and eventually fail.

I know it's too late to mention it, but when an engine makes a noise it shouldn't, shut it down immediately.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Hard to say w/o seeing more pics, but my guess would be the bearing on the little end of the con rod failed causing the piston to fail. As to why the bearing would lock up, it could be that it wasn't receiving enough lubricant or when it was assembled it was put together dry which caused it to gall over time and eventually fail.

I know it's too late to mention it, but when an engine makes a noise it shouldn't, shut it down immediately.

Sounds logical, once the piston couldn't rotate it ground it's way thru the cylinder wall.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
May have had a port divider (vertical bridge separation) come loose from the big bore kit. Exhaust port, maybe?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Head had two small shallow lines/scores from the side of the piston, bent 2 of the valves. worst part about the head was getting the plug out after it was shoved inside itself.

Might add this happened a few months ago and its up and running again, just bored and got to wondering....

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Wow!

Compression was good? No piston slap before it grenaded (on other rides I mean)?

You get ALL the luck! grin

Jeff that thing had lots off compression, definantly not that.

Oh our crew spent 7 hours on the side of the road waitin for a damn tow truck last night after the 7.3 in the ol ford took a schit on us. Hell the tow truck broke down near prospect on the way to get us. I was only a passenger though so I cant be blamed this time (finnally grin)

Last edited by mud_bogger; 06/13/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.