Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have hijacked my own thread, but it was worth it.

GB1

G
G
For anyone interested, I saw one of the M-77 .375 LH SS laminated stocked rifles at the Sidney, NE Cabelas on June 5th for $599 while on vacation. It was in the gun library and appeared new.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
That would certainly be a bargain. Cabelas is pricing it as if it was just another Ruger, not as if it was part of a limited run.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I just called, and it did sell for $599. I missed again!!!

Not nearly as nice as utah's but it would have suited me just fine.

Support your local brewer.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by utah708
I didn't take project pictures on this one. There wasn't really too much to show. I just hogged out a bunch of the forend, laid a couple sections of arrow shaft in there, and bedded it with Acraglass gel died gray to match the stock.
Utah,

What are those arrow shafts with Acru Gel (aluminum shafts I presume) going to add to that laminated stock? I understand hogging out material to lighten a stock, but laminated stocks are pretty stable and quite stiff already.

Sounds OK, just currious regarding your reasoning on that one.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After missing them when they were originally offered, I came across one of the limited run LH 375 Ruger in the stainless/laminated version. Not wanting to butcher on the original stock, I found another laminated Hawkeye stock. I cut it to my length and added a Decellerator sporting clays pad. It has a hard plastic insert at the heel to reduce the likelihood that it will hang up on your clothes when mounting the gun. I also drilled out a big portion of the butt stock as well as hogging out the foreend and inserting arrow shafts. I inlet a reinforcing screw in the bedding of the stock, just behind the recoil lug.

[Linked Image]

Total weight with this 4x Conquest is 8# 11 oz.

[Linked Image]

I'll bet that this is going to be a really practical rig. Assuming it shoots, it may well be going to Zimbabwe with me in August 2012. There have also times when hunting around Yellowstone Park in active grizzly bear country that I have come out after dark, and I don't recall wishing I was carrying a smaller caliber.

Utah, that is one, ah, 'sinister' rifle. I'm assuming a 22" barrel with the African contour? I see your length is the same as mine (40"). Should be perfect for you.

Here's my 'LH' (or should I say 'ambi') Ruger in the 'much better' .375 Holly! laugh (mine comes in at 9lbs 8 oz with the fat 24" 1H barrel and brake)

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I didn't take project pictures on this one. There wasn't really too much to show. I just hogged out a bunch of the forend, laid a couple sections of arrow shaft in there, and bedded it with Acraglass gel died gray to match the stock.
Utah,

What are those arrow shafts with Acru Gel (aluminum shafts I presume) going to add to that laminated stock? I understand hogging out material to lighten a stock, but laminated stocks are pretty stable and quite stiff already.

But your question is certainly a reasonable one because laminated stocks are quite rigid.
Sounds OK, just currious regarding your reasoning on that one.

DF

Because it seemed like a way to take weight out of the forend, while retaining stiffness. I wanted to hog out as much wood in the forend as practical, but then if I filled it back in with glass I would be about where I started in terms of weight. So I added the arrow shafts, which I just had sitting around, and also added West Marine floc to the bedding material to increase the volume. I used straight epoxy for the bedding around the receiver.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Utah, Did your LH Ruger 375 come with front barrel sling?
Mine did not and like that feature. I bedded mine right from day
one. Concerned about breaking an non replaceable stock. Mine
is very accurate.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.