Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Royce
logcutter
true words- There is a lot more that goes into shooting 600 yards in the field than a lot of seem to realize.

And dats one of the rubs, if one's gonna learn how to make 3 pointers one has to practice behind the line a lot. Same same with long range rifle work, or shorter range offhand work or running shots or whatever.

Comes down to in the ideal world one would know their limitations and stay within them.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Comes down to in the ideal world one would know their limitations and stay within them.

Agreed but most don't because they read it on the net..If John Doe can do it,so can I.....How many out of State people even know how it is to shoot cross canyon in Idaho 600 yards out?

Gotta know the country/terrain and winds if you will and have done 'er or saw it up close and personal....

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with that to an extent, but I also feel that while a few read the net and go forth I do feel that percentage is small comp'd to those that just go and do it.

Point being I feel that there are a lot more people out there who will do it whether they read about it on the Net or not.

Though I feel the same is true for other shots as well, bull in the dark timber going away, or the bull on the run @ 275 yds or the bull that's standing @ 600.

And I'll also add that I feel that theres a lot of people who have lil or no concern for the intended victum. Meaning they don't care as much as they perhaps should about how they take their game down. And, if the game doesn't go down and moves off well then they don't get too concerned with it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Dober...

You know you Montana boys are just Idaho rejects.....

[Linked Image]

Jayco grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh well, wasn't the first time I was rejected...grin

Dober

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what you are saying is your a Washington reject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Drumbdumn....shhh....the men are talking. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
Drumbdumn....shhh....the men are talking. Flinch

Flinch, your not a man, a man doesnt do or say the things you did and said. Your pathetic

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 264wm
So what you are saying is your a Washington reject.

And proud of it..Spokane is our local channel and Washington sux compared to Idaho for individual freedoms. grin

Hows your freedom?

[Linked Image]

http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011

Jayco grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My freedom is fine. Do what ever I want. I can sit on my back poarch and shoot all I want. Once fell a 4 ft DBH pine with a chain saw that had a 12" bar.lol Which would start a new thread on which is the right saw to use for felling trees like 6.5 Creedmoor for 600yrd elk which in the right hands works just like the 12 inch bar works in the righ hands. lol

Last edited by 264wm; 06/15/11.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love how a conversation about using a 6.5 Creedmoor on elk somehow turned into a debate about people's personal freedom, ranked by state grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Once fell a 4 ft DBH pine with a chain saw that had a 12" bar.lol Which would start a new thread on which is the right saw to use for felling trees like 6.5 Creedmoor for 600yrd elk which in the right hands works just like the 12 inch bar works in the righ hands. lol

Actually, I am glad you brought that up because it is a prime example of shooting Elk at 600 yards.As far as the 12" saw goes on a 4ft diameter tree....

It's harder on the saw and bar and way more prone to "error" which could lead to loss of limb or permanent disability, or even death. They make saws for falling large tree's that do it with ease with less chance of error.

Error and the odds of it are whats at stake for the normal Joe, shooting,or trying to,Elk at 600 yards.To me it is a stunt/bragging rights or showing off,not hunting but that is my opinion growing up and having seen it done a few times and saw what can happen "even to the best"......Which is far less likely at shorter ranges as is trying to fall a 4" diameter tree with a 12" bar.One should pass on both!

But that's just my opinion based on seeing it done over the years more than just a couple times."error" can happen to you or anyone, know matter how good they think they are.Shooting 600 yards at the shooting range is far different than shooting across a deep and steep Idaho canyon with winds you can't see or detect.

Do you know how many experienced loggers have been hurt from winds from know where, and there out there every day or helicopters and fixed winged downed by sudden shifts or gust in wind totally unexpected?

Maybe thats where a guy wounds one at 600 yards and it runs over the hill and someone else shoots it,not knowing it was hit,and the party starts as to who's Elk is it? grin

Jayco

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
[Hayfields don't have trees to rest the gun on. Incase you where wondering, I practice with my 22LR bolt gun at 200yds OFFHAND at a 10" steel plate. wink

I have a sneaking suspicion that Wayne could shoot better at 600yds prone than you could offhand at 200yds.

Just my guess.

Hint. I have personally seen Wayne hit Berger bullet boxes at 500yds from prone with just a sling (got the video too). And not just once.

Seen him shoot at a mile too. Seen him shoot a lever gun to 600yds and he darn sure could have killed that bull with that gun. Got all that video also.

Guys who work hard can do things other cannot do and should not try. Just the facts of life.

Hello John,
Tell us more about Waynes lever gun... smile
I just hope it isn't a POS BLR !!!

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As Jack O'Connor wrote and Chuck Hawks summed up....

Clearly, Jack O'Connor was right when he wrote that (to paraphrase) not once in a blue moon was a hunter justified in shooting at a big game animal over 300 yards away.

There are always exceptions, of course. Jack O'Connor himself killed big game animals at over 300 yards, and other masters like Bob Hagel, Warren Page, Elmer Keith, Pete Brown, Francis Sell, and Townsend Whelen did likewise. But these men had the skill and the experience to justify such shooting. They lived at a time when game was much more plentiful than it is today, and when bag limits were generous or nonexistent. As full-time professional gun writers, they had the opportunity to shoot an enormous amount of ammunition through a very wide variety of rifles, and to spend a great deal of their time hunting. Such opportunities were rare then, and are almost nonexistent now. The times have indeed changed, and not always for the better.

Jayco grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How many people here feel they fall into this category of hunters??????

Jack O'Connor himself killed big game animals at over 300 yards, and other masters like Bob Hagel, Warren Page, Elmer Keith, Pete Brown, Francis Sell, and Townsend Whelen did likewise.

Speak up!!!!!!Then how many of those that think they do have killed "Several Dozen Elk" at 600 yards and as John Barsness said right here on this forum::::

In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

So who here has shot "several dozen Elk" at 600 yards??????????????????

Jayco grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So a comment that started off as shooting a few dozen ANIMALS, has turned into a few dozen ELK AT 600 YARDS. Interesting. It's like the telephone game that we used to play as kids...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What? You shot dozens of elk at 600 yards with archery gear?

I call BS. Anything over 500 yards is unethical. Unless you're using a crossbow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The crowd speaks............

Answer this..How many Elk have you shot at 600 yards or personally seen, to have an opinion at all?

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
So who here has shot "several dozen Elk" at 600 yards??????????????????

Jayco grin

I fit that bill... Although not with a 6.5 Creedmoor...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's about to get deep in here

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (anothergun, 338Rules, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 935 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.