Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been talking to several Nebraska outfitters about booking a mule deer hunt. In some areas, either a mulie or a whitetail can be taken on the deer license, and many areas have both.

I was asked the question- if you came across a real smoker whitetail while on a mule deer hunt, would you take it?

My own personal answer was, yes, of course.

Given the opportunity, though, others might have a different answer.

What would be yours?

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
If the whitetail was a heavy antlered screamer I would definately take it.

Nelson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Depends on my mood

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In our state (NW WY) Mule Deer are in trouble, White tails are encroaching and cross breeding. Many ranchers view them as vermin and they are shot on sight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I've been talking to several Nebraska outfitters about booking a mule deer hunt. In some areas, either a mulie or a whitetail can be taken on the deer license, and many areas have both.

I was asked the question- if you came across a real smoker whitetail while on a mule deer hunt, would you take it?

My own personal answer was, yes, of course.

Given the opportunity, though, others might have a different answer.

What would be yours?

This happens all the time on the eastern plains. Depends on what you've killed and what shows up. Have had numerous hunters say they wanted a mule deer but shot big whitetails as soon as they popped up. Big is big, if I could kill either/or I'd go in with a mule deer first preference but smack a 170"+ whitetail if the opportunity presented itself

As for your preference for Nebraska, why is that? I'd much rather go to CO where you can shoot a whitetail or mule deer on a tag. The mule deer are much better in CO and a 150"+ whitetail is a reasonable expectation in a lot of places

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bighorn - That would be TUFF for me to answer. Having hunted wt all my life and long to hunt mulies.

IF the wt was a BRUISER, probably.

IF there were BRUISER mulies in the area, probably NOT.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nevermind, I see your from CO and probably have a spot to hunt deer here already.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I were on a hunt known to produce 180"+ mule deer, I'd have a hard time shooting a big whitetail. I can't get enough of those big muley bucks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bighorn,

That's an interesting dilemma.
My answer is yes, without question, every time.
Of course, I'm partial to the whitey's to begin with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big is big regardless what kind of tail he's got.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Mule Deer 1st when in Mule Deer Country - They are getting harder to hunt as they are becoming fewer and fewer. Especially large Mule Deer bucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shot two decent whitetails while hunting mule deer and would shoot another one that way anytime.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mule deer are getting scarce as the whitetail encroaches on the mulie territory.

Me, I'd shoot whatever I saw, if they were of comparable weight, to fill my freezer. With that said, mulies tend to outweigh the little whitetails we have here.

Biker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. And vice versa!

Make that heck yes. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've hunted both... shot mulies in Colorado and Nebraska... and hunted whitetails in Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Whitetails are more wary, mulies are bigger (usually)... depends on whether you're a head-hunter (antlers) or a meat-hunter.

But all things being equal... I'd shoot the biggest deer that dared to give me a shot.

But as to your specific question... I'd have to answer "Yes"... take the big whitetail even if you're on a mule deer hunt unless it is illegal or not done by tradition and look down upon by the locals. In that case, I'd stick to whatever kind of deer I originally signed up to hunt. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very few whitetails in my state so I would definitely take a nice one if it came along.

If whitetails were the norm where you hunt then I would be very picky. Unless a monster whitey came along I would hold out for a muley.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My preference is to shoot Mule Deer when hunting "out West" but won't pass up a big Whitetail. Happened last season in Montana. I should be hearing from Wielenga Taxidermy any day. wink

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Mule deer represent one of the hardest to get trophies in North America. Shooting little mule deer bucks is easy, they will always turn and look at you. Let them get about 5 seasons on them and they become one of the hardest to get. Whitetails are every where and even though a big buck is a big buck, I would take a mule deer any day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'd rather have a really big Whitetail any day over a really big Mule deer.................Hillbilly.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you get a crack at a really big muley, you best put him on the ground if given the chance. Good mule deer bucks are tough to get.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 27 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.