Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
In addition to what others have suggested I always make sure I have TWO compasses. They can't both be wrong. Spare batteries for headlamp/flashlight of the LED type. I always have two sources of light using the same size batteries. Even on guided hunts, I study topo charts for the area (and sometimes carry portions of one in a Zip lock bag) and I always carry a GPS and make sure I mark camp, parking spot, trail head, etc. Heaven forbid, but if my guide gets hurt, somebody's got to go for help. If you're going to be a "foot soldier" an extra pair of dry socks that you can change at mid day goes a long way toward preventing blisters. Moleskin, precut into about 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" squares can be used if you start to develop "hot spots" on your feet. Don't forget a small digital camera.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LKC
Berettaman,

You mention that Jake has saddle bags, are they big enough to keep a wool coat in just incase it's needed and are they water proof ones

Without regard to the saddlebags, I strongly suggest you do not leave your wool coat in the saddle bags when you tie up and start hiking.

Out here in the Rocky Mountains, the weather can change from "blue bird" to a heavy snow storm with a precipitous temperature drop, in an hour. I've seen it happen more than once.

If that happened to you, you might well be several hard miles from your wool coat left on the horse. I assure you, you would not be happy about that.

I suggest if you can not stuff your coat into your day pack, then roll it tightly, tie it with some paracord or a couple of straps to your day pack and take it with you.

Don't ever depend on the weather in the Rocky Mountains to be the same an hour from now as it was an hour ago. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The saddle bags arent big enough for a wool coat, but it can be tied on behind the saddle.

I wouldnt be worried about getting lost where we hunted. It was fairly close to camp and all you do is go downhill til you hit the creek and hang a right. Pretty simple really. A good pair of binocs, a GREAT pair of lungs, and good riding skills are very important on that hunt. He runs a 1st class setup and has been doing it for a long time. I have some insights for ya if ya want them. PM me.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The reason saddle bags are not bigger is if they are,too many guys( or gals) put too much in them and you end up with too much weight on the horse's kidneys.
Those individual nylon cantle bags are just big enough to put a pauncho and a hoodie in.
I really hate to see a horse loaded down with those saddle bags that are big and have a big cantle bag attached in the middle.

The other thing is if things get exciting and you have a bunch of junk tied on in back of your saddle, it's a little hard getting off quick and I have seen guys get ther leg hung up on that junk.Then there are the guys that have so much tied on,they can't swing thier leg over to get on. Another wreck waiting to happen.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/10/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I always make sure I have TWO compasses. They can't both be wrong.
if they point opposite directions, how do you know which is right? I mention this because I have 2 sets of cheap Cabelas trekking poles with small compasses in the handles. At no time do any 2 of the 4 point in the same direction. They're, well, shall we say, worthless.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In 50 years,I think I have only looked at my compass once. Then I didn't believe it .I had to sit down and eat lunch to figure things out.Turns out the compass was right,but I stil didn't want to go in that direction. A 1/2 mile walk to where I could see landmarks solved the problem.

I trust my mule's instinct more than I trust a GPS or compass.They have take nme back to camp in the dark and in a snow storm a few times with a loose rein.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In this southern Idaho open country, a compass doesn't get a lot of use, but I've been out in heavy overcast weather on flat ground where you could get pretty mixed up. However, I've hunted some places in north Idaho where the cover is much thicker where a compass can save your tail.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do you think chaps are worth it for dude hunters? Sure made sitting in the saddle more comfortable, that and the bike shorts. Felt like I was ready for some kind of all male Halloween parade.

I always seem to get the horse that rubs every tree or bush around so good for that too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Oak Brush country of Chollo cactus chaps help.

Generally though a pair of poly long johns wil do more for comfort than chaps.
Chaps are great for certain riding outings,but get to be a pain when hunting.You usually want to remove them before setting off on a hunt/stalk. Leather does not add much warmth, and even shotgun chaps don't help much.For those long cold rides in or out, a decent pair if insulated bibs do more for you.

I always drag one pack animal with me and that takes care of extra cloths,equipment, lunches, whatever. My hunting partner does like wise.Then if we put something down and want to pack it out that day,we can. We usually prefer to let the meat hang over night as it firms up some and bleeds out a little.

We usually even put our saddle bags and cantle bags in the panniers to limit what our saddle mules carry.Then when we do pack something out. Those things can be put back on the saddle mule for the trip out.

I realize though, that a lot of dudes have enough trouble just riding a horse,let alone leading another.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/10/11.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A little off topic,but LKC needs to get some saddle time in at home.Toughen up those riding muscles and butt. That will go a long way towards having an enjoyable hunt.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B3

L
LKC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks for all of the info and I already have things set in place to get some saddle time, I'm going to start riding around the 1st of Aug, 2 to 3 times a week. I'm not leaving for Wyoming until the 25th of Sept, hopefully that will be enough time to get the cheeks and legs over the soreness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definately don't forget the BBW's (baby butt wipes) and silk longy's are wonderful as well. I also like a silk scarf for temp control.

Have a super hunt and take 5x's as many pics as you should.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gotta have silk. grin grin grin

How did anyone survive or hunt without silk...

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6 or 8 feet of bailing wire is always in mine.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
A
Oh so many nice suggestion and ideas all people share here. All are cool and followable ideas. It help me lot when I will go for hunting.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I started packing one of the Havalon knives and some blades instead of a couple of knives and sharpening stones. We have done an elk a deer and a hog so far, they really work well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,787
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.