-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotta watch them dust devils and those gravity vortexes too.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think the problem is a guy like Van Zwoll filming a shot like that. Personally, I enjoy seeing what the best are capable of.

The problem comes when "Joe-box-of-factory-ammo-a-year" thinks he's Wayne Van Zwoll. And that ain't Wayne's fault.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The answer to the original question is no. Just because it can be done (sometimes) doesn't make it the proper tool for the job. I've seen guys trick shoot clay pigeons with a .22 but that doesn't make them a sporting clay gun. Same deal with the Creedmore pea shooter. Elk aren't armor plated but they aren't just big whitetail either. Do them some justice and use enough gun. Why some people are minimalists I just can't fathom when the right tools for the job cost about the same as less than proper ones. If you can't handle recoil then take up fishing.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
The answer to the original question is no. Just because it can be done (sometimes) doesn't make it the proper tool for the job. I've seen guys trick shoot clay pigeons with a .22 but that doesn't make them a sporting clay gun. Same deal with the Creedmore pea shooter. Elk aren't armor plated but they aren't just big whitetail either. Do them some justice and use enough gun. Why some people are minimalists I just can't fathom when the right tools for the job cost about the same as less than proper ones. If you can't handle recoil then take up fishing.

Have you seen the 6.5 CM fail on an elk at 600yds?? cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
John,

These exsperts are just parroting some gun writer who doesn't know any better himself.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Seems to be a common occurrence around here..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is like someone saying archery is perfectly humane, but shooting an animal with a "small caliber" or "too far away" is inhumane. No matter how much first hand experience you thow at them they never go away. They never thought to think that they are killing an animal with a sharp stick.

Last edited by chicoredneck; 06/18/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellant choice of words.Most of us havent shot game over 400 yards just because that situation hasn't happened. Some of us are capable if the need were there. Just because I watched WVZ doesn't mean I am going to go out and search for a 600 yrd elk to prove I can. From what I have seen most hunters that belittle others for using there skills when need are are people that are not able to be skilled shooters. I have seen some hunters that could shoot good at 100 yrd targets but fall apart when faceing a elk at 20 yrds and miss. Hinting is a instinct some can take snap shots and be dead on and others can reach out with deadly accuracy.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I won't touch the aspect of the video that most are discussing, but the choice of bullet and the performance described brings to mind a question for ya'll:

Recently I hunted axis deer. Deer 1 was shot at about 180 yards broadside. 180gr Nosler Partition broke one shoulder and exited the off side.

Deer 2 was shot at about 80 yards with a 165 Hornady SST. Two shots in the chest, (missed the shoulder) about 2 inches apart. Both bullets recovered under the skin on the off side. One a perfect mushroom. The other had a blown core. Animal ran about 50 yards after the first hit, was hit a second time and ran another 50 yards after the 2nd shot. Albeit deer #2 was a bit bigger than #1.

WVZ shot his elk (bigger animal), at 600 yards (greater distance) and got a through and through with a 129gr SST (greater sectional density?). I'm loading this same bullet for a 260 Rem. I'm not confident with the 30 cal 165 SST's any longer and based on EHG's experiences with three semi trailers full of animals, and a partridge in a pear tree, am considering switching to Scirocco's for the 30's. Should I be considering similar for the 6.5's?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
I don't think the problem is a guy like Van Zwoll filming a shot like that. Personally, I enjoy seeing what the best are capable of.

The problem comes when "Joe-box-of-factory-ammo-a-year" thinks he's Wayne Van Zwoll. And that ain't Wayne's fault.

Very well put.......

I couldn't agree more.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Nor, I might add, is it Burns fault.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Somebody already posted the following on this apparently live-forever thread a couple of weeks ago:

I have been hunting big game in Montana since the mid-1960's, and there have always been a bunch of unskilled hunters who figure the purpose of a bolt handle and a bunch of cheap ammo is to fling lead at any visible animal, regardless of range. I have seen this many times over the years, along with the results of such flinging.

The vast majority of these nitwits fling lead not because of any TV show or magazine articles. Probably the major influence is their fathers. I once had a paperboy, all of 13 years old, who told me he shot at a bull elk 700 yards away, with a .257 Roberts and factory round-nosed 117-grain bullets. He had no idea of the range (this was before laser range-finders), and even less idea where to aim. But his father had told him that any time he saw a bull elk to start flinging lead, no matter what the distance.

On another occasion I was walking back to my pickup on a gravel road after a long elk hike, and a pickup pulled up beside me. Inside were a guy in his 50's and his son, maybe 20. The father said they'd "gotten some shooting" that morning, at a bunch of elk 600 yards away. (Again, before rangefinders.) He also said that he used a .300 Winchester Magnum, because "it always knocks them on their ass." And since none of the elk fell on their ass, neither he nor his son bothered to walk over there and look for blood.

Just two examples among many.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Very well put.......

I couldn't agree more.

+1 EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best things in life, live on the other side off fear.

The true eye sees not the despair of its victims, only the elegance of equilibrium. It's a demonstration of superior judgment.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChrisF
WVZ shot his elk (bigger animal), at 600 yards (greater distance) and got a through and through with a 129gr SST (greater sectional density?). I'm loading this same bullet for a 260 Rem. I'm not confident with the 30 cal 165 SST's any longer and based on EHG's experiences with three semi trailers full of animals, and a partridge in a pear tree, am considering switching to Scirocco's for the 30's. Should I be considering similar for the 6.5's?

Chris...I'm gettin right around 2960fps with 130gr Swift Scirocco II's from a 22" Rock Creek 1-8" barrel in plain Jane .260... Accuracy is excellent and the SS II advertised BC of .571 seems to be spot on...

I've used the SST on elk and never had a problem out to distance... Of the SST's that were recovered they preformed just fine...

I'm a Scirocco whore and of the many elk I've used them on I have NEVER had them not preform...

Personally I would lean to the Scirocco but thats just me...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..... If you can't handle recoil then take up fishing.

Utter nonsense....

Anyone who shoots more rifle than he can manage(within reason),just to satisfy some inane theory about "killing power"....is stupid.

Those mesmerized by the toughness of elk should try shooting straighter;heavy recoil does not help with that for some folks.

And advise that they use a 300 Weatherby (for example)that they can't shoot for beans,in lieu of a 6.5 that they can,is unreasonable....and bad advise.

Badly hit with a 300 magnum, elk will go a long ways;maybe never recovered......properly hit with the 6.5 (270,7mm, etc), he will die pronto and anyone who has done much elk hunting knows this.

Hitting well can't be overemphasized when it comes to killing BG animals.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/19/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

A few years ago, after not drawing a moose tag in Montana after 30 years of applying, I booked a "cancellation" hunt in Alberta with an outfitter I've known for a long time.

He's one of those guys who firmly recommends a .300 magnum for elk and moose--mostly because that's what he shoots. I took a 7x57, and simply didn't mention it to him. When the guide asked what my rifle was chambered for, I said "7mm." He nodded, not really caring one way or the other.

Got a 41" bull on the second day. The first went through both lungs, just over the heart. The moose was standing there waiting to tip over, but then took a tentative step toward some thick brush and the guide asked me to shoot again, so we didn't have to pack him out of the brush. So I shot again, and then once again to make sure.

The moose didn't react to any of the three shots, though they were all within 4-5 inches of each other, and tipped over 19 yards from where he'd first been hit.

When we got back to the lodge that evening, the guide told the story, bragging about my shooting--which really wasn't extraordinary, since the moose was only 225 yards away. The outfitter nodded and said, "That's exactly what my bull did when I shot it with my .300!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
..... If you can't handle recoil then take up fishing.

Utter nonsense....

Anyone who shoots more rifle than he can manage(within reason),just to satisfy some inane theory about "killing power"....is stupid.

Those mesmerized by the toughness of elk should try shooting straighter;heavy recoil does not help with that for some folks.

And advise that they use a 300 Weatherby (for example)that they can't shoot for beans,in lieu of a 6.5 that they can,is unreasonable....and bad advise.

Badly hit with a 300 magnum, elk will go a long ways;maybe never recovered......properly hit with the 6.5 (270,7mm, etc), he will die pronto and anyone who has done much elk hunting knows this.

Hitting well can't be overemphasized when it comes to killing BG animals.

Hitting well with enough energy to do the job EVERY TIME with the vagaries of field conditions can't be overemphasized. Learning to manage recoil is part of shooting a hunting rifle well. My .300 mag wild cat is a tack driver and both I and my 140 lb. wife can shoot it, recoil and all, plenty well enough to put an elk in the dirt with certainty.

I like to make sure I use the right tool for the job and do the job well. I will not use a marginal, at best tool, and hope that my skill can always make up for my less than adequate choice in weapon. When I muzzleload for elk I shoot a .54 cal., when I bow hunt I shoot a 75 lb. bow and best broadhead I can find that is surgically sharp. I don't think you need a magnum to kill elk. A 30-06 or even a .308 would be a fine choice if used within it's limitations in range and energy. If you want to reach far than at least have the concern for the beast you're killing to do it right and choose a weapon with enough energy to do the job well, every time.

I guess I kind of fall in line with Mark Twain when speaking about drinking. He said, "Too much of anything can be bad but too much bourbon is just enough". I feel the same about building things, shooting things, and life in general. Nothing I make will win awards for it's sweeping lines and lithe looks but it sure as hell will not fall down while I'm alive and nothing I shoot will limp away to die slowly if there is choice I can make to ensure that doesn't happen. Using enough gun is part of that choice as is learning to deliver the round where it needs to go. Seeing a video of one very accomplished marksman do it once isn't enough to convince me to trade in my rifle for something more dimunitive any time soon.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Goody for you....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

A few years ago, after not drawing a moose tag in Montana after 30 years of applying, I booked a "cancellation" hunt in Alberta with an outfitter I've known for a long time.

He's one of those guys who firmly recommends a .300 magnum for elk and moose--mostly because that's what he shoots. I took a 7x57, and simply didn't mention it to him. When the guide asked what my rifle was chambered for, I said "7mm." He nodded, not really caring one way or the other.

Got a 41" bull on the second day. The first went through both lungs, just over the heart. The moose was standing there waiting to tip over, but then took a tentative step toward some thick brush and the guide asked me to shoot again, so we didn't have to pack him out of the brush. So I shot again, and then once again to make sure.

The moose didn't react to any of the three shots, though they were all within 4-5 inches of each other, and tipped over 19 yards from where he'd first been hit.

When we got back to the lodge that evening, the guide told the story, bragging about my shooting--which really wasn't extraordinary, since the moose was only 225 yards away. The outfitter nodded and said, "That's exactly what my bull did when I shot it with my .300!"

What bullet John?
Super long throat on my rifle..

Last edited by Nrut; 06/19/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hitting well with enough energy to do the job EVERY TIME with the vagaries of field conditions can't be overemphasized. Learning to manage recoil is part of shooting a hunting rifle well. My .300 mag wild cat is a tack driver and both I and my 140 lb. wife can shoot it, recoil and all, plenty well enough to put an elk in the dirt with certainty.

I like to make sure I use the right tool for the job and do the job well. I will not use a marginal, at best tool, and hope that my skill can always make up for my less than adequate choice in weapon. When I muzzleload for elk I shoot a .54 cal., when I bow hunt I shoot a 75 lb. bow and best broadhead I can find that is surgically sharp. I don't think you need a magnum to kill elk. A 30-06 or even a .308 would be a fine choice if used within it's limitations in range and energy. If you want to reach far than at least have the concern for the beast you're killing to do it right and choose a weapon with enough energy to do the job well, every time.

I guess I kind of fall in line with Mark Twain when speaking about drinking. He said, "Too much of anything can be bad but too much bourbon is just enough". I feel the same about building things, shooting things, and life in general. Nothing I make will win awards for it's sweeping lines and lithe looks but it sure as hell will not fall down while I'm alive and nothing I shoot will limp away to die slowly if there is choice I can make to ensure that doesn't happen. Using enough gun is part of that choice as is learning to deliver the round where it needs to go. Seeing a video of one very accomplished marksman do it once isn't enough to convince me to trade in my rifle for something more dimunitive any time soon.

Are you talking about shooting elk in the ass?

That is the only sense I can make out of your argument.

Take a 6.5 Creedmoor or a .270, or something similar, load it with a heavy Barnes X, and any elk short of an ass shot is going to be dead. Those bullets WILL break elk shoulders, you know...

It always amazes me how a cartridge can kill an elk with one shot and people will still claim it is inadequate.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 9 invisible), 996 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.