Print Thread
Hop To
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
A lot of folks talk about the Big 5 but who can afford it (or wants to dart a rhino)...what animals would you put in your "5"? My Affordable 5 would be (1) Leopard,(2) Buffalo, (3) Sable, (4) Kudu, and (5)Gemsok.
<br>
<br>Double this for a "Fabulous 10"...(1) Leopard, (2 Buffalo, (3) Sable, (4) Kudu, (5) Gemsok, (6) Waterbuck, (7) Eland, (8) Impala, (9) Warthog, and (10) Hyaena.
<br>
<br>What would yours be?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok Bill I'll bite.
<br>My affordable 5. BlueWildebeest, Gemsbok, Kudu, Eland, Waterbuck.
<br>
<br>Fabulous 10. Hmmm Ok add Lion, Buffalo, Leopard, Sable and another Blue Wildebeest.

Using Barnes bullets before they were cool.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Affordable five:
<br>Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra, Impala, Bushbuck, Warthog.
<br>
<br>
<br>Five more to make a Fabulous Ten:
<br>Reedbuck, one full day of Baboon shooting with a 22-250, one full day of shooting Rock Hyrax with the 22-250, two full days of bird shooting.
<br>
<br>

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The dream for September is Oryx, Greater Kudu, and Impala. Affordable to add maybe the next trip (?) Cape Buff, and leopard for the affordable five.
<br>
<br>The dream team has to include a maned lion for me though. If I had to limit myself to 10 from Africa and do it in this life's budget it would be Lion, leopard, 2 buffalo, 2 Kudu, 2 Oryx, 2 impala.
<br>
<br>The beautiful thing is that you do't have to limit yourself. Here if you are deer hunting and turkey walk out in front of you, they are safe. In MAine bear hunting...just let those moose walk away if you didn't draw a tag, Alaska...as a non-resident without a guide- just let those grizzlies walk away.
<br>
<br>On safari, you decide what to shoot at. If it is there it is you against your budget.
<br>
<br>That's why the eland and elephanta re safe from me even if they walk out and stand broadside....
<br>
<br>but maybe someday....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Warthog
<br>Sable
<br>Kudu
<br>Eland
<br>Oryx
<br>
<br>Lion
<br>Cape Buffalo
<br>Leopard
<br>(no desire for Rhino, elephant)
<br>~~~Suluuq

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Suluug:
<br>
<br>I agree. They are impressive critters but I have no desire for elephant, Rhino, or hippo. Now self defense is something different! But I wouldn't go looking for them.
<br>
<br>But the cats...oh the cats! Lion, leopard, even tiger if it were legal (sigh) 100 years too late. But would I be willing to go if I had to do it 100 years ago without modern meds and fast air travel in case of oh oh?
<br>
<br>That's a whole 'nother question.... I can say yes from the comfort of my easy chair, but not as quickly as you might think if you consider all the implications of getting from here to there and the politics of the times.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
I'm taking my youngest son on safari to Zimbabwe this summer (if conditions don't deteriorate) as a college graduation present. I've told him to select the animals he wants.
<br>
<br>In order of preference, they are: Cape buffalo, eland, waterbuck, kudu, and sable.
<br>
<br>That's about all I can afford, but if we have some time left he'll also go after warthog.
<br>
<br>Personally, I'd like a hyena and if he should get one, we'll try to have a full mount done. Don't know how the wife will feel about that.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
LOL Nitro,
<br>
<br>I suspect once you've seen a hyena from close up, you may change your mind about a full mount--IMO a picture would probably suffice. They are UGG-LEEE!
<br>
<br>Having seen the current costs of tags for African game, my "affordable 5" would be: porcupine, meerkat, rabbit (dassie), cane rat and garter snake.
<br>
<br>Good grief, I remember when an impala cost R45 ($35 back then).

Own Drummer sez:

"The only gun control needed: 3 bullets, 1 hole."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much point in leaving the states, most of your trophies are available here.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the day rates for 14 days right now, will probably run 400-600 per day... so it makes sense to shoot most of your animals if you can.. don't forget the airline fee of $2000+ just to get to JNB. (unless you have a bunch of frequent flier miles)
<br>
<br>Affordable is a term fast disappearing in Africa. Tanzania was always pricey at $1000 per day, will now increase to something like $1500, and the other countries will surely follow.
<br>
<br>Buffalo=1500
<br>Sable=2200
<br>Kudu=750 (needs high ceilings for the mount)
<br>Impala=150
<br>Leopard=2500
<br>Lion=3750 (but higher day rates, and expensive baits)
<br>Zebra=750
<br>Elephant Cow=2500*
<br>Warthog=$250
<br>
<br>*this is great hunting, tough, rugged and plenty dangerous..
<br>you don't keep the ivory or skins, but it doesn't cost $10k either.. the meat goes to the local people..
<br>
<br>If you just want most of the antelope, you can get that in RSA with some good package deals. But when you want to hunt dangerous game Leopard, Lion, Buffalo, Elephant...
<br>I think you have to step up towards Zim, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I try my list:
<br>
<br>Kudu
<br>Oryx
<br>Sable ( will have to be a second hunt )
<br>Impala
<br>Wart hog
<br>
<br>Don�t think I will like to shoot baboons or hyena
<br>
<br>Leopard
<br>Buffalo,
<br>
<br> as affordable and dangerous. But I would rather expand above list.
<br>
<br>Lesser Kudu
<br>Eland
<br>Waterbuck
<br>Harte/Wildebeest
<br>
<br> I don�t think I ever want to shoot Ele. I still don�t know about Giraffe.
<br>
<br>Highly interesting post. More realistic than many others. So I have a list of ~ 10 animals I want to shoot in two Safaris in two different parts of Africa ( Oryx and Sable ). Plus I would not spare the money to shoot some lesser animals ( lesser money wise: Zebra, Reedbuck, Duiker ... ) if I am already there. Also I would not turn down Nyala. Then perhaps a third trip with Leo and Buff?? Or first trip ( with Oryx ), then second with rest of list plus Leo ( "Sable trip" ) and third trip with better specimenss of list or those who I learnt to want on first two trips plus Buff??
<br>
<br>I hope nobody shows this list to my wife ...
<br>
<br>Hermann
<br>

R
R
when i make my first safari in 15 months my top 5 are
<br>
<br>1. impala
<br>2. gemsboc
<br>3. zebra
<br>4. black wildebeest
<br>5. red heartbeest
<br>
<br>probably have to drill holes in the ceiling for the gemsboc horns !! i figure anything with a bow will be a trophy .
<br>as the time goes i keep seeing different things in the animals available .
<br>if i ever get so i can draw 85# i will start thinking about Cape Buff !!!------- herb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 13,795 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,002
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.