Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am heading to Yellowstone end of July with my son. We want to do some back country fishing while there. Looking for any suggestions. I've done the Firehole, Madison et al, looking for something less crowded and different.

Gonna be staying in a travel trailer and fishing our way from SLC to Yellowstone and back.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple quick ideas. Fishing the Canyon of the Yellowstone is a lot of fun. Not many guys take the time to get down there. Also, the farther you hike up Slough Creek the less people and better the fishing. The 3rd meadows was fabulous but that was several (5?) years ago and we did see 3 bears so use precaution. Feel free to pm me if you have further questions. I spent a few weeks for several summers fishing in Yellowstone.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I saw a video one time of a BLACK bear fishing in a stream. The bear caught something like 30-40 fish in 2 hours. I want to find THAT stream!! The stream was only about 4-5' wide!

I don't really want to back pack in and stay a few days- just a few hours and back at night.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Also, the farther you hike up Slough Creek the less people and better the fishing. The 3rd meadows was fabulous but that was several (5?) years ago and we did see 3 bears so use precaution.

Yep, Slough Creek is great but the bears can get thick further up. A big can bear of spray and slower companions are suggested. grin

Here it is down lower and it's great there too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
That looks really nice there!!

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dennis, it has been 15 years, but second and third meadows on Slough were very nice and my first choice destination. Might also look into Pelican Creek, but it usually had bear closures.

Doug

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I drive to Cooke City every week and fish the Lamar quite often. If you are looking to hike back in somewhere, go ahead, I will fish next to the road and catch a ton of nice Cuts. Not many people really know how to fish any river, so fishing near someone, or hiking way back to get away from people, it is your choice. As for me, I would rather fish and catch a bunch of fish than hike somewhere to catch a few and then hike back.

The Lamar is a great river, I fish it a lot. I have a wager with a couple of Cooke City residents as to when it will be fish able. Ryan picked July 8, I picked July 20 and Raz picked July 28. Ryan will not be in the money. The river is high and dirty, and there is still a ton of snow in the high country. That is true for the whole park. The later in July you come, the better your chances are of good fishing.

I am going by there tomorrow, I will look as I do every Thursday and when it clears up I will be stopping, if you are in the area, let me know, I will show you where these really nice fish are...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I realize that I can probably catch nice fish next to the road and I might do that but I am one of those greener grass... kinda guys. I really like to fish the small stuff- 4-8' wide. Never fished the Lamar or Yellowstone river.

I will let you know when I am actually going to be there but it will be the latter part of July.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think about checking out some of the streams on the west side of the park that flow out into Idaho. I did a few surveys for Harlequin Ducks over the years and had the creeks pretty much to myself. Ate fish for breakfast and supper most every day. That was a while ago, so you might want to check with someone who has been there more recently...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Second meadow is great. Carry an extra rod, 4 + miles of a hike in great fishing. Only saw 4 other people when we were there Aug last year. Upper Gardiner is good for small brookies. Fished near the roads and far from the roads, fishing was good everywhere. Have fun and take in the scenery while you are there. Tight lines..

7wby
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't count on the stories of the meadows up Slough creek being uncrowded. Outfitters have found it is an easy pack trip and they are taking horse trips up Slough Creek all summer. The days of solitude on Slough Creek are a thing of the past.

Here are the conditions as of today...

The first picture is of the Yellowstone about 5 miles south of Livingston.

[Linked Image]

This is the Yellowstone about 5 miles north of Emmigrant. The water in the foreground is part of the Yellowstone flooding the meadow. The river can be seen in the far background.

[Linked Image]

This is the Lamar where Soda Butte Creek flows into the Lamar.

[Linked Image]

These are the mountains on the way to Cooke City. There is still a lot of snow, more than any year in recent history. The end of July will be pushing the good fishing. If the water does clear then, you will hit some fantastic dry fly fishing. When the water stays up that high, that late into the summer, the fish will bite anything.

I will still be fishing by the road and catching a ton of fish that others don't even know are there...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,799
Posts18,516,200
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.