-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
C
Lawnman....Just before the 1968 VW "bugs" came out I went down and bought a new 1967 with a 12-volt system. Today my son goes home from work, takes a shower, then drives it around town for a little while.

Now.....Something is happening to Beeman....and this past week I bought myself a Weihrauch HW95 Luxus .177.

I am 100% aware of the analogy in the above.

And...."A word to the wise is sufficient".

GB1

C
C
Wellll....I like to sit on my patio and shoot the hummingbirds that go to the feeder in my neighbor's yard. I kill about the same number of hummingbirds as you put the fire out on candles.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sorry don't understand the above ???

A man's got to know his limitations!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you serious about shooting humingbirds at your neighbors feeder?

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by hangmancreek
Are you serious about shooting humingbirds at your neighbors feeder?

Yeah, that's sounds safe.
And real neighborly of him, isn't it?

S.W.A.G. it
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got an old {1970's} Daisy Power Line 881 that'll group 5 of the Crosman flat heads into 3/4 of an inch at 30 yards all day long. Not bad for a 35.00 air rifle with cheap Wal-Mart Pellets. The damn thing outshoots both of my Sheridans and my steroid Benji 392 no matter what pellets I feed them. Makes me REAL RELUCTANT to ever spend more money on a "better" air rifle I'll tell ya !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Blackheart, yep I can believe that. Back in the early 80's a buddy of mine and I were big into shooting our airguns. He had a Daisy 880 and I had a Crosman 2100 classic. Man were those guns accurate even in our young teenage hands.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I dunno, the "better" air rifles have their advantages too you know....Like a bunch of horsepower AND accuracy.

There's been more than one guy sitting around the campfire laugh at the "toy" rifle when it gets hauled out, that changes his tune right quick after a few shots with it.... I get a lot of "where can I get one of these?" questions.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
I dunno, the "better" air rifles have their advantages too you know....Like a bunch of horsepower AND accuracy.

There's been more than one guy sitting around the campfire laugh at the "toy" rifle when it gets hauled out, that changes his tune right quick after a few shots with it.... I get a lot of "where can I get one of these?" questions.

[Linked Image]
I've got several .22's, .22 Mags, a .223 and a .243 for small game and varmints. I have no need for an air rifle to take their place.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Kodiakhntr, I like to hear a few details on that one. Cool!!

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've got several .22's, .22 Mags, a .223 and a .243 for small game and varmints. I have no need for an air rifle to take their place.

Who said anything about "replacing" anything with an air rifle? I have fair jag of high end 22's kicking around my house, and this doesn't replace ANY of them, its just different.

Targets of opportunity while sniping crows in my yard get shot as they appear....This one happened to wander in while I had a big airgun in my mitts.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

[Linked Image]

I am sure you'd have the same issue with anyone who does not use different calibers or Blackpowder rifles or bows.

To each his own.

Your problem is you are criticizing guns you have NEVER used.The world of Airgunning has evolved a bit since you bought your Daisy 880 etc.

You WILL NOT find a 22 rimfire rifle that is as accurate,quiet,lethal AND has no overpentration/richochet issues as a 22 Cal fully shrouded(silenced) factory PCP rifle like a Benjamin Marauder.

Last edited by jim62; 09/15/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by jim62

[Linked Image]

I am sure you'd have the same issue with anyone who does not use different calibers or Blackpowder rifles or bows.

To each his own.

Your problem is you are criticizing guns you have NEVER used.The world of Airgunning has evolved a bit since you bought your Daisy 880 etc.

You WILL NOT find a 22 rimfire rifle that is as accurate,quiet,lethal AND has no overpentration/richochet issues as a 22 Cal fully shrouded(silenced) factory PCP rifle like a Benjamin Marauder.

That's the same thing I go through when I tell people that are uneducated about airguns. They have a good laugh and say crap that they have no knowledge on. That's until I bust out one of my guns and show them how leathal, accurate, and quite the guns are. They freak when I show them my suppressed Co2's, and how much power and range the gun has, especially when you have an eyewitness to see when you drop a bunny at 70 yards with them looking through binoculars. They tend to stay quiet, or, I'll hear them say, holy #@$%+, you killed it. Theeeeennnn, and only then will they start to ask LOT'S of questions about the different guns. The crap talk stops right there, funny how that works out.

My dad used to tell me as a kid,

"If you don't know anything about it, shut up, and ask questions, ya' might learn something". Something I still do till this day.

S.W.A.G. it
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I don't poach or hunt in the suburbs so I'm not terribly concerned about noise. As for accuracy, my 17 HMR will stay inside 3/4 MOA and smokes crows at 200 yards easily. It cost about 1/3 what a decent air rifle would run and has about 3 times the effective range. An air rifle is a backyard plinker to me and I have little use for one beyond that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by xposo

[Linked Image]

To each his own.

That's the same thing I go through when I tell people that are uneducated about airguns. They have a good laugh and say crap that they have no knowledge on. That's until I bust out one of my guns and show them how leathal, accurate, and quite the guns are. They freak when I show them my suppressed Co2's, and how much power and range the gun has, especially when you have an eyewitness to see when you drop a bunny at 70 yards with them looking through binoculars. They tend to stay quiet, or, I'll hear them say, holy #@$%+, you killed it. Theeeeennnn, and only then will they start to ask LOT'S of questions about the different guns. The crap talk stops right there, funny how that works out.

My dad used to tell me as a kid,

"If you don't know anything about it, shut up, and ask questions, ya' might learn something". Something I still do till this day.

I know alot more about air rifles than you think so you might follow your own advice about shutting up and asking questions before jumping to any conclusions. Like it or not, air rifles have numerous limitatations, disadvantages and drawbacks as compared to powder burners and if they didn't, they'd be far more popular among small game and varmint hunters than firearms.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

I don't poach or hunt in the suburbs so I'm not terribly concerned about noise. As for accuracy, my 17 HMR will stay inside 3/4 MOA and smokes crows at 200 yards easily. It cost about 1/3 what a decent air rifle would run and has about 3 times the effective range. An air rifle is a backyard plinker to me and I have little use for one beyond that.

What the hell is someone like you even POSTING on an airgun forum if all you want to do is make ignorant and offensive comments about airguns and their owners? Your asinine "poacher" and "back yard plinker" comments say it all

First of all, I have been using a 17HMR since 2003 on local Prairie dogs and Jacks here here in Western Kansas. They is nothing you can tell me about a 17HMR I do not already know. But guess what genius? They are LOUD! And MANY crowed areas are NOT suburbs but rural areas with small farms. Just the sound of even a 17HMR being fired will get you a visit from the local LE.

I grew up on a family farm with lots of very valuable live stock around. There are LOTS of times when a quiet powerful AND accurate PCP rifle will do things better than even a silenced 22LR with subsonic HP slugs- let alone the MUCH louder 17HMR.

It's not 1950 anymore- the nation is a more crowded place. A hunter using an accurate, quiet rifle of ENOUGH power to do the job without over penetration/ricochet issues will find more areas to SAFELY hunt than the guy who uses louder /more powerful powder rifles.

A .22 cal Marauder properly adjusted can shoot 5 rounds into 1/2" at 50 yards with good pellets. It can fire at a level of sound equal to you WORKING THE BOLT on your 17hmr rifle(less than 90 DBs). It also don't endanger live stock or neighbors nearly as much as even a silenced 22 LR shooting Subsonic HP loads..

I can tell by your comments you've never even FIRED a fully shrouded PCP air rifle and content to expose upon that of which you have no clue.

Sad.

Last edited by jim62; 09/16/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What the hell is someone like you even POSTING on an airgun forum if all you want to do is make ignorant and offensive comments about airguns and their owners?

It's another manifestation of DHBH syndrome. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mathman
What the hell is someone like you even POSTING on an airgun forum if all you want to do is make ignorant and offensive comments about airguns and their owners?

It's another manifestation of DHBH syndrome. grin

Please elaborate on "DHBH" ..

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

To all gunmaker critics-
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.