Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Here�s the latest single shot project I�ve been puttering on in my spare time. I purchased one of the first of Bailey Bradshaw�s falling block single shot actions last summer. For those not familiar with this action, it�s similar to the Holland and Woodward patent, but reduced a bit in size, and with some unique design features of Bailey�s. He sold this one to me as a barreled action, chambered for the 7x57R cartridge. All of the pictures I have to share were taken with the only camera available at the time, a mobile phone camera and are fairly poor quality, but should give you some idea. Here is the metal as received from Bailey along with the walnut to become the stock set.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here I am heading up the bare action to the would-be buttstock. You can see how small the action is compared to my average sized paw. I also started to do some recontouring of the top surfaces of the action at this point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the action fully inletted to the stock, I could finally grab the rasp and get on with the shaping. I like this part. It feels like I just past the last buoy marking the end of the no-wake zone and I can finally hit the fast-forward button.

[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/2cfwr3p.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i51.tinypic.com/az9dl4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/2mmb9et.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/10ddzm1.jpg[/img]

GB1

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Next I filed the quarter rib to a gentle curve and milled the features needed to accept the Talley scope rings. This pair is QD and 7/8� diameter. I put the rifle on the scale for the first time to get a hint at what the final weight will be.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the stock sanded and ready for oil, it�s time to add a measure of alkanet root for some of the reddish color that I enjoy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And here it is this weekend during the initial test-firing. It looks like it will be plenty accurate: the Hornady factory loads consisting of a 162gr. �SST� bullet grouped at 1.5� while a mild hand load of Sierra�s 130gr. SP and 41.0 gr. Of IMR 4064 grouped just under 1� for five shots with the 1.5-5x20mm scope during break-in. Without scope, but with sights on the 25� barrel, it weights 5 and � lbs. In the coming weeks I�ll polish and rust-blue the metal and teach myself to checker the stock (with the steep part of the learning curve happening on some scrap wood first). I have to say that I really like the way it�s shaped up at this point though. I think this is going to be one of the few rifles that I�m constantly reaching for when headed out for a hike.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/11b6vte.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/n35atx.jpg[/img]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That is very fine work there. Beautiful rifle! That alkanet root gives a nice tint to the walnut, very natural looking.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ian,

You sure don't post much, but when you do.... OMG! that is one beautiful rifle... Kudos for your choice of chambering, as well! To say I'm envious, is an understatement...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bravo! Thank you for sharing!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What a terrific little rifle! Nice work.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding! Very well done!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A beautiful rifle. I especially enjoyed seeing the progress stage pictures.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ian,

Beautiful rifle, and your skill in building it intimidates the living hell out of me.

Very impressive and thanks for the story and pics.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The work of an artisan.

Thank you for showing.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What a sweet rig! Nicely done!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Super. Checkering will be interesting. Tried it once, never tried it again. Came to the conclusion that I have ten thumbs.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
In my opinion you have the perfect single shot Ian..

That is what my vision of a downsized Ruger #1 that we have quibbled about here in the past should look like..
Thanks to Bailey we can now have one in the caliber of our choice (as long as it is on a rimmed case).. smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nrut,

Yes. IF we have the skills and machine shop and a few loose $ laying around. Even then, no way that platform will manage the true big bore calibers.

Ian,

Your work raises the bar for everyone so high that there are no challengers.

1B

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 1B
Nrut,

Yes. IF we have the skills and machine shop and a few loose $ laying around. Even then, no way that platform will manage the true big bore calibers.

Ian,

Your work raises the bar for everyone so high that there are no challengers.

1B

1B,
I was referring to the threads that were posted by people wanting Ruger to make a smaller version of their #1 for the cartridges most commonly used for small to medium game.
My contention then and still is that if Ruger made a smaller version that it would out sell their one they presently make..
BTW Baileys rifles can be had in various states of completion so you don't need a machine shop to complete one..
I ordered a barreled action with 1/4 rib and sites early last year and sent him a two piece blank from Cali'Co Hardwoods, Inc. which he rough shaped and fitted to the metal work..
I will finish the stock myself and have a friend engrave it and brown it..
You can buy one already completed but now that his Falling Block double rifles are in great demand I imagine that the price and the wait times for single shots have gone up from when I ordered mine..
The rifle action size the Ian shows above can handle up to the 9.3X74R case size..
As far as handling true big bore calibers we already have the Ruger #1 for which I am thankful..
But if you prefer something more refined than a Ruger #1 Bailey also offers a larger action size that will accommodate cartridges up to the 500 NE..
I agree with you that Ians work on his rifle is top shelf and only hope that my Bradshaw ABF will turn out half as nice looking as his..
I am really looking forward to seeing more photos of his rifle esp. after he does the checkering..
Baileys website..
http://www.bradshawgunandrifle.com/Farquharson_single_shot.php

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How does that action compare to a Ruger #1 in strength?

Don't matter really...I'll take it!
Can I forward an address?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Very nice.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ian:

What a beautiful rifle! Thanks. Great work.

- Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ian:

Beautiful work! I am aggravatingly envious!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. It made my week.

Ed, yeah, I tend to not say a whole lot on the forums unless I feel like I have enough experience to offer an opinion or something noteworthy. I plan to participate more activly going forward though. Seeing all of the member's rifles and sharing projects is a great time for me. Working on rifles, especially single shots, is what I enjoy more than anything else. The encouragement I've gotten from the folks here and on other forums has me thinking about transitioning this from something more than just a hobby.

Dennis, I'd be interested in your perspective as a custom rifle commissioner on whether or not our area could make use of another builder. I'll send a PM.

Thanks again for the positive feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,546
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.