-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys, did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Anybody have an opinion of these bags? I want more room than most mummies allows.

thanks,

Andy

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you looking to use it for? It weighs over 6 pounds so i dont think i would be packing it. I have the BA buffalo park thats a 40 degree at 3 pounds. It is really hard to heat up that much air space, so i noticed that they are really off on temp rating unless your huge and fill out the whole bag. I sleept in the 50's in mine with a dog in it also and i was freezing.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have an Elk park or something like that. I like it for comfy car camping but I'm not packing it anywhere. The thing is huge.

It seems to breath well, so I have a tendency to not feel so sweaty in the lower body, could just be more room.

It feels about 15 degrees under rated, for warmth

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
N
N
check out the summit park

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had the Farwell 0-degree and it was heavy and I was cold. With tat said I love their down bags and their pads.

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for a warm sleeping bag to backpack hunt with in the mountains. I am broad shouldered and want to fit in the bag. I don't like being so wrapped up.

Surely, other backpack hunters have trouble with the mummy style bags? What's the answer?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try the Kifaru wide slick bags or Montbell sleeping bags. I am a big guy(about 25 inches at the shoulders) and these are the bags i am using.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If Big Agnes still offers the Lone Ranger, check out that bag. I've enjoyed it, as I also like having more shoulder room. I think its a good "middle of the road" kind of bag. Not too heavy - can still pack it.

Like others have said, some of Big Agnes temp ratings are a bit over confident. I've added a silk bag liner, and stay plenty warm in my Lost Ranger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help fellas.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My vote is for the Mystic 15 or Pomer Hoit 0. Go with the Insulated dual core as well.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Quilt is the answer the big agnes need to run large due to pad and really work best with air pads

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Lost Ranger and love it. Thing I like most it I never roll off the pad. But I've stayed warm in the mid-20s too.

Last edited by Miner; 06/26/11.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I should say first that I do sleep cold. I had the 15 degree lost ranger but froze when the temp was in the high 20s. I sent it back and got the 0 degree storm king and I can sleep in it down to about 20 degrees. I could tell I was loosing a lot of heat through the 15 degree pad that I should have switched out also. I just got a exped 7 which has seemed to help a lot. That said I sleep really well in it when I am warm and I am a side sleeper. I dont get twisted in my bag and the pads are really comfortable with 2/3 of the air in them. I have a buddy that has the same bag with the 0 degree pad and he has slept down close to zero with a liner and never been cold.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.