Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recieved my GA Precision rebarreled 223AI last week. While I am waiting for the swirly Mcmillian to come in I hogged out the barrel channel and sides/front of the recoil lug area of the original previously bedded factory stock so as to fit the #3 contour MR barrel and Holland lug. I just sited her in at 200 yards not being too concerned with group size in the current stock. Non the less she was shooting .5 MOAish from the prone position. Been wreaking havocs on the local woodchuck population ever since. Got around 20 so far going out an hour or two when ever I can. It's something how a new rifle can make you put things on the back burner. Anyhow here's a pic of a good sized one that had a pretty dark tint. I think I'll head out now for a couple hours. (grin)

[Linked Image]

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
That there, FVA, is a good sized ground griz... what was the weight and range?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet you'll like it. What stock pattern and color do you have coming for the ole gurl?

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

VAnimrod,
I'm not sure of the weight. He is what I consider "average big". The range wasn't too far either. About 80 yards but I'm a equal opportunity shooter. Near,far, or inbetween.

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
7 08fan,
Its going to be a Classic stock in red,black ,yellow, 50/25/25 percentages. Not sure how its going to look but I am sure it is going to shoot. Went 6 for 8 last night on woodchucks. Being the alfalfa was pretty tall the only shots were head shots when they stood up all in the 200-300 yard range. Here's a pic of what the 40 grain Nosler BT's do (grin)
[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just got my 223AI a couple weeks ago. I was amazed that even the factory ammo for 223 Rem shot great. Cannot wait to reload some AI's.

Man, those little fire formed cases look cool!

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
dogcatcher223,
Yeah, the new cases are cool looking. My fireforming load is a shooting the 40 grain BT's at 3850 fps with no pressure signs. While that is a hot 223 load I feel extra room in the chamber/case forming allows the cushion that this is a safe load. While reading primers is not suppose to be a good way of reading pressure anytime I start getting flattened primer or slight cratering I feel I've reached max pressures for me. I know flattened primers/cratering could be from from headspace issues, varying primer hardness, or a oversized firing pin hole. Non the less I started getting these signs at 3700 fps with the previous barrel and none at 3850 right now. I'm thinking 4000 fps will be easily acheivable with the fireformed cases at sane pressures.

FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went out tonight for an hour and a half and got four more. The Nosler BT's continue to impress me dropping all four were they stood. Two are worthy of the term "ground grizzlies" Here's a pic of them. The first was at 280 yards and the second at 210. Even without the Mcswirly this rifle is fast becoming my favorite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FVA,
Glad to see you post on the new .223AI. Looking forward to mine in the next couple of weeks...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
FVA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Matt,
I plan on doing a little more in depth post after I get her in the Classic Mcmillian. I think I took about thirty minutes to slap on the trigger, mounts, scope, and open up the barrel channel/recoil lug area with a dremnel. Being how ugly the stock fit is I decided not to even try seeing what she is capable of group wise and the day I sited her in it was a rush job during a lunch break on one of those high humidity,90+ degree days. Didn't take many shots to site in. She was right on center wise and about 8 inches low. I dialed in the correct dope and the LR Leupold did exactly what it was supposed to. Suffice to say laying prone in some fresh cut, dry, prickly, new seeding with my eyes stinging from sweat I put 5 shots under an inch at 200 yards using my left hand as support on the rear of the stock. Been slaying critters ever since with very few misses. I'm really liking the VH reticle as it allows very precise shot placement. Have no problem seeing the critters drop through the scope on high power and as my boy says you see them drop way before you hear the whomp. GAP's quality and precise work is very evident. I'm sure you'll be tickled with yours.
FVA

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.