Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My neighbors across are having their house painted. It's very interesting watching the blind leading the blind.

A roving house painter salesman (the owner of the business) came through the neighborhood and talked my neighbors into having their house painted. It needed to be painted and it was in a state of neglect so that part was OK.

Only problem is they jumped at the first quote even though they knew it was more expensive than work done by other painting contractors who have recently painted several homes in the neighborhood. They didn't ask for references either. I guess he had a good spiel.

It's just painting, right? It's not rocket science.

Their out of work teenage son got a job with the contractor before their house was scheduled to be painted and so the story begins to unfold. The contractor has had a hard time keeping employees so most of his crew is made up of young inexperienced laborers without any prior experience. He doesn't pay an hourly wage to his employees. They all work on a flat rate per job. The faster you get it done - the more you earn per hour. The son has no clue how much he is getting paid. ??????

Hmmmmmmmmm ............

I'm watching the guy who's power washing the house wave the power washer wand around like a pizz poor garden hose from six or eight feet away starting in the middle, bottom or top (whatever is most convenient) with absolutely no clue what power washing is supposed to accomplish. There's a couple of ladders in the driveway but he hasn't felt the need to use one to actually power wash the highest parts of the house. Hose it off, wet it down - good enough.

Now he's scraping the sections they just washed before they've finished washing the house and before it's even had a chance to dry. ?????????

Update. He's priming now. Hasn't broke out the caulking gun yet either and there's lots of caulking, sanding and patching that needs to be done.

The contractor isn't here either. His dummies are on remote control.

I feel like going over and supervising but I should probably just keep my nose out of it. I just hate seeing people get ripped off though. They're doing a poor job for premium price from the git-go.

Should I intervene?

Last edited by fish head; 06/28/11.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you like your neighbors? LOL. If you are concerned and like them then just let your neighbors know your concerns and what you have/have not seen done and let them deal with the contractor.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like they'll get a bad job at a high price. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it supposed to be the other way around. smile

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by fish head
Should I intervene?

No!!

Take pictures!! lol!!

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tell the home owner about your concerns. Let them deal with the contractor.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Should I intervene?

No!!

Take pictures!! lol!!

That's my thought. Unless you are close with the neighbors.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Tell the home owner about your concerns. Let them deal with the contractor.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like my neighbors. The guy's wife doesn't work and we're good friends. He's an accountant that has no clue about anything when it comes to maintaining a home. To give you an idea of how clueless he is their garbage disposal quit working right after they moved in. They went without a garbage disposal for a year. I was talking to Liz and she mentioned the problem so I volunteered to take a look at it. The dedicated disposal circut breaker was tripped. WTF. Neither one of them even thought to check it and of course they didn't have a clue where the breaker box was located.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That is why contractors like that prosper...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Should I intervene?

If the situation was reversed, would you wish they had intervened?

That should solve your dilemma.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you say anything your being a good neighbor, that will probably create a uproar you really don't wanna deal with. Just a guess.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've decided to stay out it. Nothing good will come from me butting in. I'll pizz off my friend by saying her son is doing a [bleep] job, the hubby doesn't care one way or the other and the contractor obviously doesn't care as long as there's no complaints on how it looks when it's all done.

In the end they'll get a crappy slam bam paint job that looks good (for awhile) and that's all that matters for most folks anyway.

My dad was a painting contractor and he taught me the basics. I've painted houses, apartments, a car, a boat, a mobile home, industrial equipment and much, much more.

One of my pet peeves is somebody not doing a job right.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel like going over and supervising but I should probably just keep my nose out of it. I just hate seeing people get ripped off though. They're doing a poor job for premium price from the git-go.

Should I intervene?

I would tell the neighbor what you see happening, so he can intervene with the contractor before the job is done.

As for going over there and supervising yourself ... only if your neighbor pays you!

- Tom

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Would you say anything if his house was being broken into?
It's theft , just the same.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We dont live with idiots here in the country that could tell you to take a hike.

We care for our neighbors as we should, and as such, I would tell the owner INSTANTLY and let them take it from there.

Anything less isn't neighborly IMHO. Plus you can sleep with yourself at night too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I like my neighbors. The guy's wife doesn't work and we're good friends.

Start with something like:

"I see you're having some painting done. I've done a good bit myself, and I have a couple of observations if you're interested."

If he says yes, then fill him in. If he says no, wash your hands of it with a clear conscience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

"I see you're having some painting done. I've done a good bit myself, and I have a couple of observations if you're interested."

If he says yes, then fill him in. If he says no, wash your hands of it with a clear conscience.

+1, and you don't have to imply that their son is doing a poor job. He really hasn't had any training, or so it sounds from your description, so a first class job can't be expected out of him and his co-workers. If their son and his efforts come up you could compliment them on his work ethic or some such and leave it at that.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds like it's a little late to intervene. If they had questions they should have talked to you going in. Not once the paint starts going on.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by mathman

+1, and you don't have to imply that their son is doing a poor job. He really hasn't had any training, or so it sounds from your description, so a first class job can't be expected out of him and his co-workers. If their son and his efforts come up you could compliment them on his work ethic or some such and leave it at that.

Yep that .
Somewhere in alla that you can hopefully find a balance between sounding like a pushy know it all nosey neighbor and a neighbor that cares and would like to help them save themselves from getting ran over the coals. If they say butt out fine. In 2 years when that paint starts peeling and they remember that you made the effort they may remember and ask you before they dump a bunch of cash into a big project whistle
But time will tell , some neighbors don't care or just want to paint and paper a starter house so they can sell it and move on.
If they want to stay , and don't care then I guess you can't fix stupid.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
Would you say anything if his house was being broken into?
It's theft , just the same.

Originally Posted by rost495
We dont live with idiots here in the country that could tell you to take a hike.

We care for our neighbors as we should, and as such, I would tell the owner INSTANTLY and let them take it from there.

Anything less isn't neighborly IMHO. Plus you can sleep with yourself at night too.

Thank you ColsPaul and Rost. Your opinion's made the difference.

I went across the street and talked to my neighbor, discussed the options and got her permission to speak for her .......

I got the foreman on the phone and FIRED HIS AZZ !!!!

I told him to gather up all his crap and leave.

Last edited by fish head; 06/28/11.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.