-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think I agree with Oklahunter on this one. The Kelty frames from years past were hell-for-stout. Even had METAL buckles. You could cinch that puppy down & it wouldn't slip. I bought a new external frame a number of years ago and couldn't keep the belt from slipping. I tried a number of things to no avail. I even looked at a new Kelty pack. Nope! Plastic buckle. My wife finally snagged 2 old Kelty packs at a garge sale. Took the METAL buckle off one of them & then gave them both to my partner for his grand kids.
More & more these days, I see mostly crap being made by companies that think they know what the consumer wants.
Ok, rant off.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've suffered with internals from Dana, MR (ok, CBMR), Osprey, North Face, Kelty, and a few that I'm forgetting. My CMBR crew cab just about crippled me when I tried to pack moose with it.

I still use a TNF internal for day hikes, spring black bear and anything where I'm not going to kill anything too far from the truck or boat.

When sheep hunting, or moose hunting without a vehicle, I've never regretted the ridiculous amount that I spent on a Barney's Pinnacle.

For a dedicated moose pack, my favorite is a 660cc model made by a Japanese company. It's called a Yamaha Grizzly.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Great thread of the same topic:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5157866/Packs_Internal_vs_External

and from this thread, I posted:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5328719/Osprey_Aether_85_vs_REI_XT_85

Modern-day backpacking packs aren't designed to carry big weight. With the ultralight movement, most gear is much lighter than even ten years ago. The new packs are designed with that in mind. The weight of meat hasn't changed, so older non-hunting packs are going to be more and more valuable to hunters in the future. In the 90s, 70-90LBs for long hikes and winter hiking wasn't uncommon. Those packs were made in accordance. Hunting-specific backpacks are priced ludicrously high. It would cause me to seek other options.

Last edited by ZenoMarx; 06/28/11.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by ZenoMarx
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5157866/Packs_Internal_vs_External

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5328719/Osprey_Aether_85_vs_REI_XT_85

Modern-day backpacking packs aren't designed to carry big weight. With the ultralight movement, most gear is much lighter than even ten years ago. The new packs are designed with that in mind. The weight of meat hasn't changed, so older non-hunting packs are going to be more and more valuable to hunters in the future. In the 90s, 70-90LBs for long hikes and winter hiking wasn't uncommon. Those packs were made in accordance. Hunting-specific backpacks are priced ludicrously high. It would cause me to seek other options.

I take exception to your last sentance. Last week we had the chance to load 137 lbs in the Kifaru UL 5200, Osprey Crescent 70, KUIU and a couple Mystery Ranch. The Kifaru was heads and shoulders above them all and this opinion was a concensus from people that owned the KUIU, MR's and Osprey.

Nothing wrong with a good external, but I'll take a Kifaru UL over them all.

Ed T

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
A Kifaru UL5200's base price is $558. That's a lot of cabbage. Lots of options at that pricepoint.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
But nothing that light that will carry over 100 lbs. Plus it is made in the US not Vietnam like most of the mainstream packs.

Ed T

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I have to admit that I wouldn't be one to care about the extra 5LBs (Kifaru UL5200 @ 3LBs for $560 vs Dana Design Terraframe at 8LBs for $200) when talking about carrying 100LBs. And that is just one option I would explore before spending $560+ on a new pack. That was my intention with those final two sentences.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The 5 lbs of weight doesn't matter when packing the 100+ lbs of meat, but matters a lot to me when packing camp in. 5 lbs is two days more food.

I sold, fit and owned Dana Design packs including Astralpane's and Terraplanes. If you think they carry weight better than a Kifaru UL good for you. I don't. Spend your money as you see fit, but until you have actually tried something you might want to refrain from evaluating it's worth.

Ed T

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I didn't make any claims to evaluating Kifaru pack performance. I said, "Hunting-specific backpacks are priced ludicrously high. It would cause me to seek other options." If I can buy three (or even two) comparable packs for the price of one, I'll stand by the "ludicrously high" statement. And that kind of price tag causing someone to seek other options isn't an outlandish thing to say or advise.

Last edited by ZenoMarx; 06/28/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't make any claims to evaluating Kifaru pack performance. I said, "Hunting-specific backpacks are priced ludicrously high. It would cause me to seek other options." If I can buy three (or even two) comparable packs for the price of one, I'll stand by the "ludicrously high" statement. And that kind of price tag causing someone to seek other options isn't an outlandish thing to say or advise.

I don't know man. You can only use one pack at a time anyways. I would rather have one Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Barney's pack for hunting than a closet full of "backpacking packs". Lots of people certainly get by with lesser packs and I have in the past as well. However, the more I backpack and hunt and combined the two, the more I appreciate at will fitting pack that is built for purpose.

When you are spending $1K+ for a spotter, $1K+ to setup your rifle, $500+ for binos, $500+ for a good tent/sleeping bag/pad setup, the extra $300 bones for a quality hunting purpose built pack kinda pales in comparison. Let alone the $$$ of actually getting to some of the hunting locales.

I have had the chance to compare how the Barney's and Kifaru UL haul weight FOR ME as I own both and for me the Barney's wins, but thats not to say that its for everyone and that the Kifaru doesn't work better for others (like Ed T). For me I am usually hunting with my wife and end up packing 70% of the gear going in anyways and still can out pack her, I'm just glad she likes to go and I don't mind as Brad Paisley says "waitin' on a woman", so an extra 5 lbs doesn't matter to much going in for me and keeping the weight down for her is the priority. Now if I am just going by myself....well that KU 5200 might get the nod then if I can sneak it out the door without her seeing. laugh

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I take exception to your last sentance. Last week we had the chance to load 137 lbs in the Kifaru UL 5200, Osprey Crescent 70, KUIU and a couple Mystery Ranch. The Kifaru was heads and shoulders above them all and this opinion was a concensus from people that owned the KUIU, MR's and Osprey.

Ed, how far and how steep up and down did you haul that weight in those packs and what MR's were you using?

How? was the K-UL head and shoulders above them?

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

I don't know man. You can only use one pack at a time anyways. I would rather have one Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, or Barney's pack for hunting than a closet full of "backpacking packs". Lots of people certainly get by with lesser packs and I have in the past as well. However, the more I backpack and hunt and combined the two, the more I appreciate at will fitting pack that is built for purpose.
That was really poor wording on my part. What I should have said was: "If I can buy a comparable pack for 1/2, or even 1/3, the price, I'll stand by the 'ludicrously high' statement."

As to purpose, those older backpacking packs would work perfectly for a backpacker or a hunter; speaking in hauling capacity, durability, and comfort for more people than not. They're built like tanks and designed for abuse. There are a few people on here who have attested to their fine use for hunting. They aren't just "making them work", but they are preferably working with them. They certainly aren't lesser packs, and at the fraction of the cost, they are a great alternative, and a great resource, for many people.

I'm not discouraging anyone from buying a hunting pack, or from spending money on what they enjoy, but I am hoping to make aware that there are fine, fine options out there. That's all. Also to add: if you spend $200 on a Terraframe, or Terraplane, and find that it needs some personalize modifications, go ahead and do it. You just saved hundreds of dollars by going that route, so have a little fun with some additional designing and futzing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry didn't realize you were talking about the used backpack market and what not like Dana packs and what not.

Certainly are great packs at great value. That said apples to apples you can get used versions of Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Barney's for $300 or so as well.

Packs fit and function are a personal thing, so long as it works for you, hit the hills and cover some miles and chase some critters and if we get lucky haul one back home with us.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I got $300 into my terraplane (new condition), terraframe (new with tags), and alpine (well used). FWIW.

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Great information - thank you all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Nothing wrong with a good external, but I'll take a Kifaru UL over them all.
Even when packing 100+lbs of meat along with gear? I own an Osprey pack and there's no way i'd pack more than 40-50 lbs of meat in it along with my gear.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yup,

I'd take the Kifaru for anything up to 125-135 which is my limit.

The Osprey Crescent was actually a big surprise. It did better than most of the others. I would say the Crescent would be perfectly suitable for 85 lbs or so.

Ed T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Kifaru pack sounds nice but man, $550 for a pack I might use a few times a year is hard to swallow. I know the Crescent is a tad bigger than my Aether 70 but 85lbs?? That's pretty danged good for a non-meathauling designed backpack.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Sorry didn't realize you were talking about the used backpack market and what not like Dana packs and what not.

Certainly are great packs at great value. That said apples to apples you can get used versions of Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Barney's for $300 or so as well.

AL, please direct anyone wanting to sell a complete Barney's external frame pack for $300 to me. I promise to return the favor for Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can very much agree with ZM's sentiment. The biggest issue I have with all of those older mainline internals is that they don't have replaceable hipbelts so I can't use my Kifaru hipbelt on them. If that isn't a consideration for you, and price is some consideration, they're well worth the look.

As to the KU -- I know a couple of very experienced guys (Ed T included) who have enough time under them with heavy loads to form an educated opinion and like them. After examining them in person and carrying Patrick's personal KU with 40# in it for a short hike, I can say that I would never buy one myself. Maybe the smaller one for lighter overnights, but there are LOTS of packs that work in that application. Doesn't mean it isn't the bees knees for a lot of folks... just saying that if you're contemplating buying one, don't assume it's going to be a slam dunk.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.