Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#530 09/05/01
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
hey guys,<BR>I should have listened,I was out hunting last night, and I shot a Coues deer with my bow, I was using a mechanical broadhead, and my best feeling end in the worst feeling. I shot the buck, and the arrow went in and slipped back out. It did not cut enough to leave a good trail, nor did it stay in the buck, I didn't even get full penetration. I found the buck but he didn't look that hurt, I am going to let him settle, and attack him again. I feel if he settles down I can get close again and stick him with my satilite broadhead and bring him home. He is a 3x3 that will score around 85 P&Y points, that would put him in the books I believe you need 65 to make it. I am going to listen to you experts now and switch to fixed blade, mechs are now POS in my opinion.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry to hear about the bad luck man. I hope you get a good stick on him the next time. What type of mech were you using, and how far off was it. Just wondering about some things. Good luck, Ryan

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Ryan,<BR>I was using Vortex broadheads, and the shot was 47 yards away up hill. I felt the shot was worth taking with the speed and accuracy of my bow. Come to find out what failed me was my broadhead. Tommorrow is the day, I can feel it. I chased him around abit to day, and he is getting stiff, I feel I can get him for sure tommorrow, I 'll keep ya posted.<BR>What they need to make is a mech that locks in place after it opens so that it don't slip out after impact. I know that is what happened, the blades closed and it slipped out. Anyhow.<P>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Youngbuck,my freinds and I use the NAP spitfire they work great year after year!I know you dont like the mechanicals but you should give them a shot.One of my friends shoots a buckmaster pwc the other shoots a matthews black max and I shoot a oneida lite force all very fast bows and the splitfire works great out of all of them.I hope you find your deer keep us posted

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
youngbuckaz86,<BR>Good luck with your hunt!<BR> <BR>As far as the mechanicals...."If it's not broken, don't fix it." Fixed blade broadheads have been killing game animals for years. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Until I stop hearing stories like your's, concerning mechanical broadhead failure, I'll NEVER shoot them. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]<P>There are few opportunities while bowhunting and there is NO room for error on the side of equipment. Personally, I prefer a cut-on-contact broadheads like STeel Force, Satillite Titan and Magnus.<P>Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been using Pucketts mechanicals for a little over ten years, the gobble stopper for turkey and the blood trailer for deer and hogs. I have not had a failure yet.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey swampfox, I have some of the spitfires but they are the 2 blade kind. Do you fellas shoot those or the 3 blades. I was trying to figure out if I wanted to shoot them this year. How far do the deer usually run after a good lung shot. I just wanted to know before I shot them this year. The guy at the pro shop swears by them. Hope you don't mind answering all these questions. Ryan

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
guys,<BR>I have killed a fox with mechs, I have even used them on javelina, they worked great on them, but for deer, I will not use them again, until a company finds a way to keep the blades from closing I might try them again. I was using the 2 blade mechs, and I also had a friend use the 3 blade spitfire, and they failed too. I am still chasing my buck, seen him twice but not close enough for a shot. I shoot a bow that keep up with the Matthew Q2xl, and still I will not use the things again, also the are not good in brush, and fixed will out preform them.<P>I'll keep ya posted<BR>86

Enrique O. Ramirez

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
RLB-I have shot two deer with them.Both were shot with the two blade one was a spine shot [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] and the other was a pass thru double lung.the spine shot deer had its spine cut in half and the arrow exited.The double lung didnt even know that he had been shot and only went about 100 yards just walking.I have talked to my friends and they say that none of their deer shot with the spitfire went any farther.I would recomend them to anyone,I am trying the three blade this year it should work just as good.

757 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
youngbuck, I had a bad experience with nap spitfires. I shot a buck of a life time and a doe monday nite and got very little penetration. I shoot 100 gr. spitfires on beman carbon arrows at 260 fps. I examined the arrows that I shot the deer with and figure I got about eight inches of penetration. I tracked the deer over a half mile before loosing them. I screwed on my old wasps. They had done the trick for me before. I abmit that I may not have shot the buck exactly where I was aiming ( I'm not sure exactly where I hit, but the buck was broad side to me). The doe was shot good and should have penetrated much deeper. 757

Pursue Perfection

Capture Excellence
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.