-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been wearing Danners and Redwings most of my life.

Idea's? Looking at a boot under 4lbs.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Of course there is no "best boot", it's always a trade-off. I'm personally willing to accept less durability and insulation for more agility and lighter weight. Don't let Cabela's idea of what a hunting boot is make up your mind for you.
I like Inov-8's in general, some of the lighter La Sportiva stuff, and Kayland fits my foot better than anything--I've been liking the Zephyr for a mid-weight boot. Hope you find what works for you!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know how limiting cabelas can be that's why i have asked. I am willing to give up some of the things that a good winter mountain boot can give you but I do need a tough boot. I have been wearing the Danner/Antelopes but they are barely lasting a season and they leak. I was hoping for better support too.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
I am a BIG TIME Lowa Tibet fan. I bought a pair 6 years ago and can't wear them out and the fit on foot hasn't decreased a bit. In fact, I bought a new pair 2 years ago for an eventual backup and they are still in the box. At 6 years they look like hell, but structuraly are still very good. I wouldn't focus too much on weight. A boot that is very supportive and fits well will negate the extra ounces very quickly.

Aaron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would second the Lowa's. I have a pair of Tibets and they are bomber and quite comfortable. Heavy though. I also have a pair of Kenetrek and they are lighter and really nice as well. If you want light I would take a look at the Lowa Renegade, Lowa Ranger or the Hanwag Mtn Light.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The best boot for the weight is the lightest boot that fits your foot the best, and provides all the stability, protection and features you need. No one boot is the best for everyone. Some brands are built on a narrow forefoot, wide heel, some are built narrow throughout or wide throughout, some accommodate a high arch, some accommodate neutral or flat feet. The best thing to do, if possible, is to go to a reputable shoe store or gear shop, describe your needs and wants and try on a bunch of shoes. Call the stores first and ask what their training program is like for fitting shoes & if any one person has the most training or experience. It makes a difference. For me, the Vasque Breeze GTX in a wide is my boot of choice for 80% of the year. At 2lb, 9oz, it is pretty light, while remaining very stable, comfortable and providing excellent traction. One of my brothers in sandals for 75% of the year, including hunting season. My other brother won't go off pavement with out his Asolo 520's. There's a myriad of great brands out there, since fit is so important, it's best to find the one that's best for you. Good luck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I now agree with a few guys on this forum when it comes to light weight boots. I have used Hanwags w/ the High Country footbeds for the past fews and have really enjoyed them but they are heavy as hell. I took the advice of EdT on the inov8 400GTX and now Im really impressed. I have really weak ankles so I wrap my ankles and they feel more secure than any 8" boot I have worn. I also threw in the high country footbeds which added a little more weight but I believe I have the boot issued solved.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've been wearing cabelas WT extreme for a while - they seem to work fine for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.