Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/06/union-curbs-rescue-wisconsin-school-district Washington Examiner article about Wisconsin union bill

"The Kaukauna School District, in the Fox River Valley of Wisconsin near Appleton, has about 4,200 students and about 400 employees. It has struggled in recent times and this year faced a deficit of $400,000. But after the law went into effect, at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, school officials put in place new policies they estimate will turn that $400,000 deficit into a $1.5 million surplus. And it's all because of the very provisions that union leaders predicted would be disastrous.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: article "

WHY IS THIS NOT FRONT PAGE NEWS IN EVERY PAPER? ON EVERY NEWS STATION?

What a shock! Competition lowers cost! Who would have thought it?

Or "union communists exposed for what they really are". laugh

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes I read that earlier. Great news isn't it! Puts the unions on their heels and makes the employees pay somewhat for their pensions and health care.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WHY IS THIS NOT FRONT PAGE NEWS IN EVERY PAPER? ON EVERY NEWS STATION?

What a shock! Competition lowers cost! Who would have thought it?

Or "union communists exposed for what they really are".

It's confirmation of what we knew all along.

It's not much of an exposure when the lamestream propaganda machine is trying to bury it or pretend it doesn't exist.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, had to teach 5 hours a day on old contract and now have to teach 6 hours a day. Previously spent 37.5 hours in school per week and now have to spend 40 hours. Class size going down so better teacher interaction. $400,000 deficit becomes $1.5million surplus.

Love to hear the communists provide some input on the results in the link.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for the WI victory and for the first results coming in.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can bet your sweet bippy that you will nothing from the Union or the Dem's about this

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay. Math. $400,000 deficit + $1.5 million surplus = $1.9 million saved devided by 400 employees = $4,750 savings per employee. That sounds a little fishy to me.

Question? What happens to the $1.5 million surplus? Does it go back in the tax fund?

More teaching hours makes for better education for your kids?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you a teacher?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
$4,750 savings per employee. That sounds a little fishy to me.
I pay $6,500.00/year for my family health insurance. It's not a Cadillac plan by any means so I Sec 129 shelter another $4K for stuff it doesn't cover. Now that's only health insurance, which many school districts cover nearly 100% with top shelf plans. Then there's pensions, tuition reimbursement programs, sabbaticals, etc. The only thing that sounds fishy to me, is that they aren't saving more.

More states are gonna hafta grow a pair and follow suit and not just in education but in all areas of government employment.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son is a teacher. He goes to work early and comes home late. He attends all sports, also.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by croldfort
My son is a teacher. He goes to work early and comes home late. He attends all sports, also.

He sounds like one of the many great teachers. I'll bet there are plenty who put in a LOT less effort & still get paid the same. That is one of the biggest problems, especially in union gigs. (Not sure if he's in a union, or not.) He'll likely have kids remember him many years later, the halfhearted slugs who do juuust enough to not get fired, not so much.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My wife is a teacher - but in Texas. The Wisconsin teachers have been hoodwinked into thinking that their unions are doing them a favor. This shows otherwise.

School districts with deficits can't hire more teachers...

Nor can they afford to give raises, buy new equipment, etc.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Croldfort, Based on the article, it sounds like if teacher teach for 6 hours a day, versus 5 hours, that the average class size goes down. And since the mantra has been that big class sizes are bad, then reducing class sizes should be good. And I think teaching 6 hours a day is closer to what it should be.

If the $1.9 million in savings is used for other expenses or for reducing their budget, that is far better than the union owned WEA insurance company getting it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Then there are work rules. "In the collective bargaining agreement, high school teachers only had to teach five periods a day, out of seven," says Arnoldussen. "Now, they're going to teach six." In addition, the collective bargaining agreement specified that teachers had to be in the school 37 1/2 hours a week. Now, it will be 40 hours.

Well ya don't say?

The changes mean Kaukauna can reduce the size of its classes -- from 31 students to 26 students in high school and from 26 students to 23 students in elementary school. In addition, there will be more teacher time for one-on-one sessions with troubled students. Those changes would not have been possible without the much-maligned changes in collective bargaining.

This was a HUGE arguement from the teachers in my family. They were claiming the class sizes were going to sky rocket. Funny, the things the truth brings out eh?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Saw that article a few days ago.. Sent it to the local newspaper..

I won't know if he printed a story about it until tomorrow..

I'm sure the unionistas here will be mighty quiet.. Why, I think I can hear crickets chirping!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt the unions will fan the flames of disinformation as the truth can't be allowed to flourish.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (1_deuce, 338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 9 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.