-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The H'burg local is a good solid one with a history of keeping their guys on the job.

A pard retired from there after 30+ years. Never knew him to be on the bench for any length of time.

Fair amount of work in the area power plants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like an inexpensive way to get the credentials. Will one be married to the union for a period after ones certification? I.e. does one have the option of moving elsewhere and working a non union shop?

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Fair amount of work in the area power plants.

Add schools and prisons. One friend spent alot of time up at Philipsburg. 4-5 guys went together and rented a place and came home on weekends. That friend took off oct. and nov. that year, kept paying his share of rent, and went hunting...just used the house as camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About Local 520

The Plumbers, Pipefitters and HVACR Technicians Local Union 520 has been serving Central Pennsylvania for nearly a century. We were here during the events that shaped America into the great nation we are today.

The military conflicts, stock market crash, civil unrest and the modern world we live in are events that affect workers and their families. The Plumbers, Pipefitters and HVACR Technicians have supported our nation in all of these events and more.

Our tradesman built many military bases, power plants, factories hospitals and many learning institutions. Penn State University, Hershey Chocolate, Three Mile Island, Indiantown Gap National Guard Base, and many other facilities which are the foot print of Central Pennsylvania.

In today�s world we are the leader in piping systems of all kinds. There is a new industrial and construction market that seems to be on the upswing. Local 520 will be there to answer the call to deliver skilled tradesman to move into the future. We believe in continuing education with practical application. Training is available to apprentices and ongoing journeyman upgrades, in order to keep up with the ever changing technology of the 21st century and beyond.

The Central Pennsylvania market is large and diverse. There is manufacturing of motorcycles, paper, food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, power generation and others.

The clients we perform work for on a regular basis is a long list.

P.H. Glatfelter, Harley Davidson, Tyco, Merck Chemical, Johnson and Johnson Merck, Pfizer, GSK, Franklin Marshall College, Penn State University, Pinnacle Health Systems, PPL, Exelon, Pennsylvania Department of General Services, Susquehanna Health Systems, CVS Stores, Target Stores, Wegman�s Groceries, Kellogg�s of Lancaster, Dupont, and many other businesses in Central Pennsylvania.

We will continue to be the work force of choice thru education and the philosophy of 8 hours work for eight hours pay, on time and with in budget.

B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I wish this was the 520 but it's a Baltimore based one. I live just over the line noww and for the immediate future.

Only caveat is that if I take a job IN THE FIELD for a non-union shop before my 5 years are up, I will be on the hook for the cost of the training, @ $5,000 per year.

If I can't make it through the training or want out because of layoffs/whatever, I probably won't take a job with a non union shop anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at it either way, 5 yrs isnt that long. And $5k per year for schooling for the kind of wages you will receive is CHEAP!

I dont know anything about the baltimore local. But cant think they'd be that different. Believe me when I say though, there is ALOT of money in the Balt/Wash area!! I would think if anything, a MD local would have you running less miles than a PA local.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good deal for you, I would jump at this opportunity and not look back.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by burner

Only caveat is that if I take a job IN THE FIELD for a non-union shop before my 5 years are up, I will be on the hook for the cost of the training, @ $5,000 per year.

Ignore that union scare tactic, it means nothing...trust me..

However, tell me where you can get 5 years of paid education for a mere 5 large, you cant...

Stop thinking of a few negatives, focus on the many
positives..

(I just realized you said 5,000 per year for the cost. I'm willing to bet it's 5K for the entire apprenticeship).

Last edited by Kenneth; 07/01/11.
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If I recall correctly it was 5k per year but I'll have to check the fine print again. I'm definitely excited. I go for my pre-employment physical/drug screen next week. No problems there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My mother was a school teacher. A male co-worker taught 9 months, then worked construction during the summer for a union company. He doubled his pay by working only 1/3 of the hours more. It all depends on which union you're in. Some are pretty good, then there are the rest of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've beem plumbing the last 21 years, last 13 years union.
I make a pretty good liveing and have no problems provideing for my family, th\e trade has been good to me.
I'm a member of a union but I work for a plumbing shop.
As long as the jobs get done right, on time, and make my employer money the plumbing shop will keep wruteinng my pay checks. The union has been a great resorce for training and certifications that makes me more employable to plumbing contractors.
A trade union was a good move for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burner, is it local 486? If so I was reading up on the training. You wont be traveling near as far as some from the 520.

Where will I be working and for whom?
You will be employed by one of the participating contractors signatory to an Agreement with Plumbers/Steamfitters LU 486 as jobs become available. LU 486's work jurisdiction is Baltimore City and surrounding counties and also includes the Hagerstown and Frederick area. You are required to work 8 hours per day, 5 days a week usually between the hours of 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. You will need your own transportation to get to and from the job site.

Definitely a good move if youre in the area, and its the 486 youre talking about. Just keep in mind...

# What licensing and certifications may I obtain during the 5 years of apprenticeship training?
LICENSES:
a. State of Maryland Plumbing License.
b. State of Maryland HVACR License.
c. Gasfitters' License.
d. Stationary Engineers' License.

CERTIFICATIONS/QUALIFICATIONS:
a. Medical Gas Certification.
b. Backflow Certification.
c. CFC Qualification.
d. Welding Qualification.
e. Ten hour OSHA Certification including " Right to Know Law."
f. Confined Space Certification.
g. CPR Certification.
h. Standard First Aid Certification.
i. Valve Repair Certification.

and definitely this....

What is an apprentice's starting hourly wage?
An apprentice's starting hourly wage rate is 40% of LU 486 Journeyman Scale which is $35.59 through March 31, 2012.

1st Year - 40% - $14.23
2nd Year - 50% - $17.79
3rd Year - 60% - $21.35
4th Year - 70% - $24.91
5th Year - 80% - $28.47 grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
P
P
Go for it ! As an apprentice you will be cheap labor, and get asked to work any available overtime. I was able to almost double my yearly pay by working extra hours throughout my apprenticeship, while still going to school. After you are done with your apprenticeship, you will be able to work through any of the UA locals countrywide. Feel free to PM me with any questions that you may have. Local 267 Steamfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by burner
Here's the story. I've recently been accepted into the local plumbing and steamfitting union training school. I will start as an apprentice making $30k per year, and in 5 years I will have received enough schooling for all of my journeyman licensing, etc., for free through the union. I will also be making @ $70k per year at that time.

Question is, is this a good career move? I have aptitude for plumbing, HVAC, etc., and I think it would be great to get the training and the experience of working there.

I'm just not a Union type of guy in general -- never really worked for one or had any family that did, always been a little wary of them. The only one I ever belonged to was the teacher's union when I taught, and only because the district I was in, MADE us join or pay "fair share."

Any thoughts from those in the field? Pro or con?

I have a blind hatred for unions. However, in the skilled trades no one has better training programs than the apprenticeships. Yeah you could get the same technichal training from a trade school but you wouldn't have the quality combination of schooling and OTJ experience that you get to becoming a journeyman. Plus hte skilled trades have a lower level of corrupt douchbaggery.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Water runs downhill.

[bleep] floats.

Payday's Tuesday .

There's your plumbing education.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Water runs downhill.

[bleep] floats.

Payday's Tuesday .

There's your plumbing education.

Also...what ever you do...Don't forget to keep your fingers out of your mouth!

Buy once, cry once.
B
burner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, it's local 486. It sounds like a good move from what you guys are saying. Thanks for the advice!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
burner,
A couple of things to think about: Being a union member is like a marriage. As long as you are a member and working in a union job, you are married to the union. What they say goes. If you don't like something, you can work within the union to change it, but you should never go against the union. If you don't want the union, you don't want the job. The worst thing in the world is a scab. The next worst are the guys that want all the benefits that the other members have sacrificed for, but don't want to pay their share, or do their share, or provide any help or support when they are asked to. Just don't go along enjoying the benefits, and then when things get difficult start thinking whether you support the union or not. Make that decision now. Then if and when things get difficult it will be a lot easier because you have already made that decision.

The dues are a no brainer. Just ask yourself if you would be willing to do the same job for just a little bit less. If your answer is yes, then just pretend that you are making just a little bit less, and never give the dues a second thought. Same goes for some of the insurance available through the unions. Usually a good deal. Make the decision to do what is right for your family, and then never think about the money. If you don't see it, you won't miss it.

The hourly pay is only a small part of the picture. Retirement program, health benefits, and working conditions are very important.

Just my two cents worth having been a union member for 24 years. We make the important decisions in our lives based on the best information we have at the time. Then a lot of it is a crapshoot. Nobody has a crystal ball to see the future.

I wish you the very best.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 61 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.