Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rkamp
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
There's a reason it's hard to find experienced Honda mechanics though.

Honda is definitely better engineered today than Toyota, but at the expense of being a little more complex with more parts.

Care to expound on that?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Light12
Not to offend but Toyota is a Japanese Buick, the car for the oldest buying segment. Ten years older that Cadillac buyers.

WOW that is an amazing statement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Not to offend but Toyota is a Japanese Buick, the car for the oldest buying segment. Ten years older that Cadillac buyers.

But true!

Camry's are as completely boring and devoid of any sort of driving excitement as a 1985 LeSabre.

If I'm driving a car every day I want it to be at least a little exciting.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nsaqam

But true!

Camry's are as completely boring and devoid of any sort of driving excitement as a 1985 LeSabre.

Camrys are boring reliable transportation that is for sure.To call each of their models the equivalent of a Japanese Buick is stupid. They do have a larger car and truck lineup then currently any manufacturer. They make the most prestigious consistenly highest ratest luxury cars in the world and they sell more of everything they make then anyone else.
I don't think for one minute that I am driving a Maserati everytime i start up my Civic and Accord. That is the topic on hand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Camry is superbly competent and utterly boring to drive. Absolutely zero soul.
The Accord is competent and not quite so boring to drive.

The VW Jetta or Passat have a whole bunch more soul but not the reliability of the Camry or Accord.

+1 on the V dubs

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not to throw a curve-ball, but don't overlook the Hyundai Sonata. Consumer reports and reliability are every bit as good as Toyota and Honda, but with a much better warranty (10 year/100k) and for less $$$.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm currently leasing a 2010 Accord with the 4 cylinder engine.

Last weekend I went to Salt Lake City Utah from Helena Montana. Got about 31 miles to the gallon which included city driving. Cruise control set at about 78 miles per hour for most of the trip. Trip was a little over a 1,000 miles round trip.

Car will cruise at a 100 miles an hour without a problem. I've had it up to a 120 with no sweat. It's rated for 160 although I've never had up there as my wife would kill me. smile At 120 it had lots of room to go.

And this guys is with a 4 cylinder engine and no turbo charger.

The only real down side is I went with the manual seat adjustments instead of the electric seat adjustments on the drive side. I'd go with the electric. It's a good four passenger care with limited room for suit cases. Overall, I would lease another one unless I decide to lease a Honda CR V.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
My wife drives an '11 Camry Hybrid. A consistent hand calculated 38 MPG is nice,but the car is incredibly boring.

The Camry is a great car,but at 38,I feel like I'm about 35 years too young to drive it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

But true!

wasn't this car for the OP's wife?
I don't drive our Toyota, I drive my diesel Ford or my Jeep. I really have a hard time getting into the Toy, low to the ground, low roof line and I'm only 4' 9" tall grin. I like to step up into my PU or lift my leg real high to get into my Jeep. Getting to old to bend.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just bought a 2011 Camry v6. Gave away our 1999 Camry v6 to a friend.
It had 185,000 miles on it, never changed the brakes, never added a drop of brake fluid in it.
Never changed the trans oil or filter.
Started using synthetic motor oil 6 years ago and changed it once a year. The Struts were about to go.
The rear seat belt stopped retracting.
Forgot how many sets of tires or how many Die Hard batteries it went through.
A/C never recharged and still cold. (used year around here in Hawaii)
Did a full tune up at 140,000 and the timing belt showed very little wear.(didn't need a tune up, but the timing belt was my worry for nothing)
The right front cv boot has a crack.
The motor is starting to leak oil but is still running smooth and strong.
That's why we bought another one
Reliability is my reason to own one.
Boring but reliable.
Might not have the best gas mileage but reliable.(I really never bothered checking)
Reliability saves money.
That is my wife's car.
I drive a 2006 4x4 Tacoma and my previous truck was a 1989 Toyota pick up.
It's about the same story.
My friend is still driving the 89 pick up till this day.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When it comes down to it check the dealer satisfation of each in your area. Toyota leads in service dept. customer satisfaction by a mile here.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mink
Another factor for me was the fact the 4 cyl Accord engine utilizes a timing chain vice a belt. Something to keep in mind.

So does the Toyota.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alot of good advice here. I'm a long time honda accord user. Honda's hold their re-sale better than toyota: As an example of this, a few years ago my accord was totalled by a log truck (luckly I wasn't in the car). It was a 91 with 215,000 miles on it and they gave me $3,700.00 for it. I'm now driving basically the same car but a 92 model and it has 280,000 miles on it with only a timing belt service every 90,000. This car still runs like a champ and even the air conditioning works after all this time. I drive 90 miles one way to work and the miles just keep accumilating, but I know it is still very dependable. One less thing to be stressed about grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't imagine owning either ......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Son had an 1986 Accord he sold that is still running about. Good mileage, comfortable, and good gov't ratings in wrecks. What's not to like. He replaced it with a VW Corrado, a sporty little thing that was much less car than the Accord.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Don't know a lot about the Accord but after renting one I thought it was a good car but it was definitely noisier than my Wife's 2009 Camry. The Camry was the first Toyota we ever had and also after 35,000 miles is proving to be the best car we have ever owned. It has a V-6 engine and a few weeks ago while driving through Oregon on a 55 MPH road it was averaging between 35 and 37 miles per gallon. She has routinely gotten 30 plus while driving 75 on interstate highways with it also. The seats are plenty comfortable for me, 6'1" & 275 lbs, for long distance driving also. It has power to spare and handles like a dream. Another plus is it has a very roomy trunk.

She would buy another Camry in a heartbeat and right now I doubt you could get her to look at anything else. It may be a boring ride but at our age we appreciate not having anything happen when we are traveling. wink

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Camry is superbly competent and utterly boring to drive. Absolutely zero soul....

I'm on my second 6-cylinder Camry. The first, a 1992, ran 250,000 miles. The second, a 2002, is now at 191,000.

I remember when I bought the 1992 Camry, the Camry had been totally redesigned. A review in one of the car mags said something like "Inside the new Camry is the soul of a Lexus." The cars were substantially identical.

I guess you could say I've been bored with Camrys for 20 years, and when this one starts feeling its age, I'll buy another.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When we were shopping for a van, I test drove a Toyota Sienna. No comparison to the Honda Odyssey, the Toyota lacked pick-up and power of any kind compared to the Honda. Currently all four of us are driving Hondas, a Civic, an Accord,a CRV and mine is a Pilot. The Pilot is the finest vehicle I have ever owned, it does everything well, is comfortable and a joy to drive. Another plus for the Pilot is that it cost $5K less than a Toyota Highlander. I don't see anything about the Highlander that would make me spend another $5K.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm currently leasing a 2010 Accord with the 4 cylinder engine.

Last weekend I went to Salt Lake City Utah from Helena Montana. Got about 31 miles to the gallon which included city driving. Cruise control set at about 78 miles per hour for most of the trip. Trip was a little over a 1,000 miles round trip.

Car will cruise at a 100 miles an hour without a problem. I've had it up to a 120 with no sweat. It's rated for 160 although I've never had up there as my wife would kill me. smile At 120 it had lots of room to go.

And this guys is with a 4 cylinder engine and no turbo charger.

The only real down side is I went with the manual seat adjustments instead of the electric seat adjustments on the drive side. I'd go with the electric. It's a good four passenger care with limited room for suit cases. Overall, I would lease another one unless I decide to lease a Honda CR V.

My wifes 2010 v6 accord doesn[t have that kind of performance maybe I should have bought a 4 instead. Cruise at 100 not likely..unless you want to overhaul it every 10 k. Next time the car is parked with your hand push around the rear panel above the bumper that surrounds the license plate and tell me how solid that feels.. The sheet metal is beer can thin. The sheet metal on my 2011 civic is thicker.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,109
Posts18,483,299
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.