Hop To
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
http://buy.auctionarms.com/10438385...-ugly-0-condition-but-works-goodmfd-1902

A vintage lever rifle that not only serves as an example of an honest description and plenty of nice clear pictures, but Bubba has had his way with this one. The high points for me were the "customizations" done to the buttplate and the fact that someone wrote in with the question, can it fire .30 Carbine ammunition? crazy

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
But it's a carbine in .30 caliber, is it not? smile

You know, I wouldn't mind having that one if for no other reason than to have a totally beat-to-[bleep] but functional little .30/30 to drag into the woods on a totally crappy day, so as not to worry for one second about cosmetic degradation from being soaking wet from sunup to sundown. Even sewer rats like that one have a place in the world. Plus there has to be a lot of good ju-ju in it from all the critters that were whacked with it over the years.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if that gun could tell it's story?

Probably be a best seller.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've never purchased anything from the seller "Jack the dog", but I often come across his auctions while searching for guns that interest me. If you look at his current auctions, you will notice that every item he has up for auction has bids on it (usually lots of bids). That would also be true if you looked a month ago, or (I bet) a month from now. He must be doing something right, and I'd love to know where he gets his inventory. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just goes to prove that every gun has a buyer, currently at $257. eek Only good part on that rifle is the tang sight.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've bought a few from him and he's a good guy to deal with.

He also has a good grasp of California gun laws...
California Residents: Many older handguns cannot be shipped into Calfornia due to State Restrictions. If the handgun in this auction is not on the current California Roster of Certified Handguns, please do not bid! The list can be checked here: CALIFORNIA HANDGUN ROSTER. C&R Handguns are exempt from this restriction however California law will NOT allow shipment of C&R HANDGUNS direct to a C&R holder in the State of California, a licensed 01 dealer must be used. I can only ship LONG GUNS directly to a California C&R holder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rick99
Just goes to prove that every gun has a buyer, currently at $257. eek Only good part on that rifle is the tang sight.

Yes Rick, it's about at it's limit price-wise as far as I'm concerned. But, subtract $100 for the sight and...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
The seller gets bids on his items because he routinely has opening bids set at $0.01,and rarely ,if ever,has a reserve price...Or stated succintly, He intends to sell what he lists..Gets plenty of fine quality firearms to list because of his chosen policies,and a well deserved rep.for fair dealing... Idabull

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love the second question: Does it come with a magazine?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, I have heard very positive things about this seller and his stuff routinely sells well. I think the main reason is he almost exclusively runs, "real" auctions and he starts most everything at a penny. The other reason his auctions do well is he has developed a large following. Lots of guys routinely check in to see what he has for sale. I suspect some bidders aren't necessarily doing searches for certain rifles but if they happen to check on what he has and see something that looks interesting, they pursue it. He has a large, "repeat customer" business. As others have pointed out here, he has a reputation for fair dealing. As far as inventory, I think he does a lot of consignment business.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Steve, I have bought a few rifles off him,never had a problem ,good guy. Don

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was at a gunshow today and saw a Turkish Mauser rifle
with a price tag of $400. Tag also said all matching numbers,
a quick look revealed a mismatched bolt.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I just asked a seller to look under the butt plate for a matching number and they replied "they did/would not for fear of disturbing originality". That statement means the gun is either super right, or they are full of crap. So...which do ya suppose it turned out to be??? I bet that buttplate has been looked under 100 times at least.

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This reminds me of countless Winchesters and Marlins that are offered for sale and are in the serial number range where the Buffalo Bill Historical Center has the factory ledgers. Members of the BBHC can just call in the serial number and they will call you back or fax you what is in the ledger. Sometimes the BBHC gets a run on a specific number - lots of guys calling in the same gun as it is currently for sale. In each case, the seller already knows what BBHC will say - but he lets each potential buyer go through the motions of finding out the gun isn't right. I recall calling a seller of a M1876 (records are available for about all '76 Winchesters). The rifle had a shorter than standard barrel and I asked the seller if it lettered. He said he didn't know. Right.... In fact, if you think about it, there was absolutely no point in calling about this rifle. No mention of what the factory ledger says meant two things - he knows what the letter says and there is a reason he's not shouting out what it says frown

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 222Sako, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,570 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.