Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Has anyone ever went on a do it yourself elk hunt ? I do not live in elk country and really cannot afford a guided hunt. Has anyone ever had any luck with these or are they a waste of time to an out of state hunter ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. But not me yet!

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
A friend of mine said they were a good way to go, then someelse said you are wasting your time and money. Since both are in short supply with me, figured I would ask.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I little information may help...

State, general area and time frame...

A Forum with this many helpful members more than likely has a few in that area that could help/give you info at the least...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yes, me and a group of friends, almost every year for most of the last 40 plus years, its best to go with at least 3 guys to share expenses and read the tips

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1095

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=4369

http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/nonresidents-guide-western-hunting

Last edited by 340mag; 07/04/11.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rg74
Has anyone ever went on a do it yourself elk hunt ? I do not live in elk country and really cannot afford a guided hunt. Has anyone ever had any luck with these or are they a waste of time to an out of state hunter ?

What state and area are you thinkin about trying??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If you actually hunt white-tails, not sitting on your overweight butt in a tree stand or parking on a food plot, that is, you can actually still-hunt and aren't afraid of the dark or of getting lost, you can have a good do-it-yourself elk hunt. Remember elk are the hardest animals to hunt in a state like Wyoming, with success rates in areas with general hunting around 25%(higher for cow licenses), and a statewide success rate that has never gone above 50%. Areas with higher hunting success take lots of preference points to draw, require that you be hunting cows, or require that you pay an outfitter or a big access fee.
I have sent lots of hunters on do-it-yourself hunts over the years, and a bunch of them killed elk. Some decided it was too much work hauling an elk out of the woods, even in pieces, and never came back. Others have been hooked ever since. In my working life, if I could talk to a hunter for a few minutes, I could generally convince them elk hunting isn't rocket science, it just takes learning something about elk and being willing to go where the elk go. Most were concerned about where to go to avoid wasting time, and I could often help with that based on what I'd heard or seen on my own hunts, but I don't know every place in Wyoming. Those who loved their ATVs and could not be separated from the machines did poorly hunting elk because lk don't like roads and the people making noise on them. Hunted elk aren't Yellowstone elk.
Those who bought cow/calf licenses first when licenses to hunt bulls were harder to get, to improve their chances for success(more cows out there than bulls) and learn how to hunt, killed some elk, their manhood wasn't affected by killing a 500 pound cow elk, and they got better at it as they figured out how to hunt. No matter who gives you elk hunting advice, they can't hunt for you, and ultimately, if you won't learn or put out the effort, you won't be a very good do-it-yourself elk hunter.
Right now there are cow licenses leftover, and you only need one preference point to have a very good chance to draw a general elk license next year. You can buy one of those from July 1 to Sept. 30.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am in Alabama. We were thinking of Colorado, in the western part, Mercer ? He had talked to a man around here that went to that area and said they did great. He was on a guided hunt though. They are a little out of our price range. We were going to drive out there and camp, to save money . Then hunt on our on.

R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
That sounds good. I am not wanting to kill a record the first time. I would be happy with a cow elk. I deer hunt a good deal, I mean walk . I do not have an ATV. I have horses and mules that I use in the national forest in this state. They are great to hunt off of. I also backpack in to alot of places. They deer around here have found the deeper in the forest they go, they live longer. I would be willing to walk and pack in. No problem here. I can and use a topo map here when I junt certain areas .

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For me, DIY is the only way to hunt. When I first started elk hunting (1988) I could not afford a guided hunt either. Went to the Gila on a bow hunt w/family. Killed a 6x6 that made P&Y that first hunt. Have been hooked ever since. In the following years have made more money that I could either go on guided hunts or stay with DIY and just hunt more. I have elected to stay with going on my own. Drew tags in NM and WY this yr. Have been fortunate to have a great hunting buddy since high school that I can really count on. Hone your woods skills and don't be afraid to hunt till dark miles from camp. Have killed most animals those last few minutes of light. Success may not come easy at first, but stay with it. Have killed my elk the last 5 trips.
Good luck
John

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DrHJH
If you actually hunt white-tails, not sitting on your overweight butt in a tree stand or parking on a food plot, that is, you can actually still-hunt and aren't afraid of the dark or of getting lost, you can have a good do-it-yourself elk hunt. Remember elk are the hardest animals to hunt in a state like Wyoming, with success rates in areas with general hunting around 25%(higher for cow licenses), and a statewide success rate that has never gone above 50%. Areas with higher hunting success take lots of preference points to draw, require that you be hunting cows, or require that you pay an outfitter or a big access fee.
I have sent lots of hunters on do-it-yourself hunts over the years, and a bunch of them killed elk. Some decided it was too much work hauling an elk out of the woods, even in pieces, and never came back. Others have been hooked ever since. In my working life, if I could talk to a hunter for a few minutes, I could generally convince them elk hunting isn't rocket science, it just takes learning something about elk and being willing to go where the elk go. Most were concerned about where to go to avoid wasting time, and I could often help with that based on what I'd heard or seen on my own hunts, but I don't know every place in Wyoming. Those who loved their ATVs and could not be separated from the machines did poorly hunting elk because lk don't like roads and the people making noise on them. Hunted elk aren't Yellowstone elk.
Those who bought cow/calf licenses first when licenses to hunt bulls were harder to get, to improve their chances for success(more cows out there than bulls) and learn how to hunt, killed some elk, their manhood wasn't affected by killing a 500 pound cow elk, and they got better at it as they figured out how to hunt. No matter who gives you elk hunting advice, they can't hunt for you, and ultimately, if you won't learn or put out the effort, you won't be a very good do-it-yourself elk hunter.
Right now there are cow licenses leftover, and you only need one preference point to have a very good chance to draw a general elk license next year. You can buy one of those from July 1 to Sept. 30.

Holy chit. What we would give to have that high of percentage of a success rate here in Oregon (I know I'm sounding like JeffO blush). The over the counter tag I usually end up getting (other good tags take 5 or more preference points) has a 3% success rate: What a feeling of accomplishment when you do get one though grin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can do the same DIY hunt anywhere there is national forest or BLM land, since we all own it, regardless of what some guides, outfitters, landowners, and competing hunters might tell you. If you know of a place to go, do it if you have access. That way you won't regret failing to do it later.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
eastern turkey hunters make excellent elk hunters. follow the noise but absolutely hunt the wind.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hes DIY...

AZ

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am in Alabama. We were thinking of Colorado, in the western part, Mercer ? He had talked to a man around here that went to that area and said they did great. He was on a guided hunt though. They are a little out of our price range. We were going to drive out there and camp, to save money . Then hunt on our on.

Rg74 �

I think you mean �Meeker�. It is near White River and Routt National forests and has great elk and deer hunting. I�ve hunted there twice since 1982 and will likely hunt there again this year as a) I have a buck tag for the area and b) I believe there will be leftover cow tags. In fact, I�m writing this from a hotel room in Steamboat Springs because my wife and I have spent the last two days checking out Units 12, 13, 23 and 24 in preparation for this year�s hunt.

You can be successful as an unguided newbie but it will take a mix of studying, planning and hard work (beforehand and during the hunt). Some luck never hurts, either, whether you are a newbie or experienced. Get topo and land ownership maps, talk to the DOW and Forest Service people, spend a lot of time on Google Earth, etc. First time I went up there (mid to late �80�s) I found elk exactly where some time with the topo maps suggested they would be. (If only I had had a cow tag! The only bull I saw was the evening before the opener and I had to curt the trip short after only 2 days.)

There are lots of good areas to hunt with reasonable access, but you need to be prepared to get away from the roads and in many areas the roads are 4-wheel or �Primitive�, which is worse. (The �Primitive� roads are marked and you probably want to stay away from them unless you have an ATV) . Bringing tire chains for all 4 wheels, with dual rubber tensioners for each, is a really good idea. The Forest Service people can be a big help once you get maps and start formulating questions about access.

We saw about 40 elk in the last two days but most were on private land along the White River.

Good luck on your hunt and don�t worry about it being a DIY hunt � just understand that even the natives often fail.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
rg74 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Sorry, got the name wrong. I realized that after I typed it. Great info. Thanks

M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
We have been going on DIY elk hunts for 25 years. We go to the same place year after year and hunt the first rifle season (CO). We have had reasonable success with at least one member tagging an elk each year. Sometimes we may end up with 3-4 on the ground. My advice (depending on the season..early versus later in the season) is think logistics. Access to drinking water, proper tent, plan for getting an elk out if you are successful, the implications in case of early snow (we've packed out in a foot of snow with it still falling...no fun) national forest versus wilderness. After all these years we have the capacity to put together a decent camp (wall tents, stoves etc. At one point we were renting horses and packing into the wilderness but we've gotten a little long in the tooth for that sort of foolishness. It would not be a waste of your time, on the contrary, there is a real satisfaction doing it yourself. However, do not expect to see big bulls in heavily trafficked areas especially in rifle seasons. My advice is if you want elk meat shoot the first legal animal you see. Good luck.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sucess rate in Colorado is 18-20%.That includes all cow hunts.Subtract the cow hunts and bull kills are probably somewhere in the 10-12% although I am just guessing at that figure.

I have elk hunted since about 1966, and have not missed probably more than a dozen seasons.Of them,only one was a guided hunt in Alberta as guides were required by law then. The early years were slim pickings for kills,but I got better and probably have killed an elk every year for the last 20, sometimes two, once three.

Things I think contribute to poor sucess is the hunter gives up and goes home early, they don't do thier home work before the hunt, they don't remain mobile, and they believe the CO DOW advertisements of the amount of elk they will see.

Every elk you kill comes hard, with an easy one slipping in there every once in awhile.

You can walk, back pack, or ATV,but if you can haul your horses and mules in, you increase your odds drastically as then you can hunt a 10 mile radius evey day you are hunting. You can hunt hard all day and not use up energy getting to the hunt area,and then only have to crawl back in the saddle to get back to camp.If you don't want to haul your own,you can rent stock all across northern CO for about $450/head /season plus a saddle deposit.They are not the best mounts,but useable, if you know how to handle livestock and ride.

Many places in Colorado are a sea of orange in elk season with DYI hunters and it gets worse every year.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/04/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Have you considered trying to find a forum member who lives in the area you want to hunt to work out some sort of trade-out - for which that member furnishes his local knowledge and experience, perhaps a place to flop? So long as such person does not actively guide you or furnish guide-like services, at least in Montana, such a trade-out would be within regulations.

Just a thought.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.